Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Dreaded Check Hybrid System Warning

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-15, 01:39 PM
maximizese
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dreaded Check Hybrid System Warning

After replacing a dead 12V battery, I started the car and restored the master power window controls. I drove around the neighborhood and everything seemed fine. The traction battery was about 70% full and I was waing the car up to do the ISC reset. After about 1/3 of a mile driving, I get the Check VSC System and Check Hybrid System warning lights along with the traction control and check engine lamps. The hybrid system would no longer regenerate energy and the ICE wouldn't shut off. I was able to drive the car back home but I don't feel right having my wife drive the car in this condition.

My mini VCI and Techstream seem to have reached their expiration and I was spending the afternoon trying to reinstall the software so I can scan the Rx for codes.

The car is a 2007 Rx400h with 137K miles on it.

UPDATED 6:20PM PST: The car is back to normal…for now. After a little research on the Camry Hybrid forums, I disconnected the negative terminal from the 12V battery for 2 minutes in an effort to clear the ECU code. I turned the car on and everything looked fine, got to "Ready" and had about 60% of traction battery on display and I was off for a test drive. About 1/4 mile later, the check engine lamp comes on and "CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM" displays. The car loses the synergy drive and feels like it lost about 50hp and 100lb-ft of torque. The traction battery refuses to recharge, so I throw in the towel.

I finally got my VCI and Techstream to work and I cleared the DTC codes from the ECU. I took the car for a 2 mile test drive with VCI and laptop still plugged into the OBD port. Not a single issue. Performance is back, no warning lights, and the traction battery is recharging again. I pulled over to do the ISC reset procedure and now I'm just crossing my fingers that that will be the last of warning lamps.

Last edited by maximizese; 09-21-15 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-22-15, 07:26 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Hopefully you have it fixed. If not, you have the 150k mile CA warranty on your battery right?
Old 09-22-15, 11:33 AM
maximizese
Rookie

Originally Posted by smassey321
Hopefully you have it fixed. If not, you have the 150k mile CA warranty on your battery right?
So far so good. I've put 15 miles on it over 3 trips with no warning lamps. I'll have to take a look at the rule. I bought the Rx400h at a Jeep dealership in Az, but the car originally came from Ca and was sold when the original owner relocated 3 years later.
Old 03-02-16, 07:20 AM
sorin9308
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Hybrid System - RX400H 2007

Hello,

I have disconnected the 12V battery for 5 minutes today, in order to update the navigation maps.
I connected it, did the roll up/down for the windows and for the sunroof and after that the trunk won't open. Neither from the interior button, nor from the exterior button. No sound at all.
I stayed with the car for like 10 minutes with the electrical engine on, i drove away and after 1 mile the AWD system/Hybrid system/VSC system failure went on.
Stopped the car, stayed with the ICE on, the trunk started to open and after 2-3 minutes only the check engine yellow sign stayed on.
The person who updated the navigation disconnected the battery once again. Everything dissapeared drove it away and it stayed only on electric until it didn;t go further anymore.
Restarted it, only the ICE active, but after 1 mile the hybrid system started to charge and worked fine but the Check Hybrid System was still on.
Now the car works fine, the trunk still doesn't open. I drove it for like 4 miles.
What do you think?
Old 07-05-16, 11:44 AM
bp924
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the same problem! When it happened the first time I took it to the dealership and they said the regular 12 volt battery was bad and needed to be replaced. Once they replaced it they said everything with the hybrid system tested normal and it was fine. Less than a week later I'm on the highway going 60 mph and SAME THING happens again! Check Hybrid System light AND Check VSC System light comes on simultaneously! I'm going to bring it back to the dealership tomorrow but any clues from someone on here would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 07-07-16, 09:01 AM
maximizese
Rookie

Originally Posted by bp924
I'm having the same problem! When it happened the first time I took it to the dealership and they said the regular 12 volt battery was bad and needed to be replaced. Once they replaced it they said everything with the hybrid system tested normal and it was fine. Less than a week later I'm on the highway going 60 mph and SAME THING happens again! Check Hybrid System light AND Check VSC System light comes on simultaneously! I'm going to bring it back to the dealership tomorrow but any clues from someone on here would be greatly appreciated!!!
We haven't had an issue in the last 10 months/16K miles. I'm not sure if VCI and Techstream are required, but my systems were restored after clearing the codes from the ECU. In total, I believe I cleared the codes 3 times. Twice by disconnecting the 12V battery for 60-seconds, and once by Techstream. I hope everything works out for you and that your issue isn't more complex.
Old 07-11-16, 11:48 AM
bp924
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maximizese
We haven't had an issue in the last 10 months/16K miles. I'm not sure if VCI and Techstream are required, but my systems were restored after clearing the codes from the ECU. In total, I believe I cleared the codes 3 times. Twice by disconnecting the 12V battery for 60-seconds, and once by Techstream. I hope everything works out for you and that your issue isn't more complex.
Hmmm ok I'll try disconnecting the 12-V battery again!!! What is Techstream??? Thanks for your help!
Old 07-11-16, 01:33 PM
maximizese
Rookie

Originally Posted by bp924
Hmmm ok I'll try disconnecting the 12-V battery again!!! What is Techstream??? Thanks for your help!
Techstream is Toyota Motors proprietary diagnosis and computer control software. It's very pricy and generally is intended for dealerships, but there are bootlegged copies out there on eBay and Amazon.com that can be had for less than $30. Techstream is required for programming new key remotes, bleeding the brake fluid, and programming the comfort and convenience settings to most current model Lexus/Toyota/Scion.
The following users liked this post:
380SL (04-28-17)