Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Advice: Poor MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-13, 09:46 AM
RVLTN123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice: Poor MPG?

Hi! Lurker here. I've been enjoying my 2007 GS450h for the past 10 months or so. I bought it second hand with 36k miles and it's been a wonderful ride. However, I was expected better gas mileage. I pump with 91 octane (SoCal) and have been getting 19-21 MPG with mixed street/highway driving. Settings are normal and mileage is a little bit worse if I use Power/Sport mode. I am not an aggressive driver... pretty chill with an occasional spiritedness to overtake a slowpoke driving in a faster lane.

I'll be taking her in for a 40K service next week and figured it would be good to mention my MPG concern. Until then, any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Cheers and thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-13, 05:55 AM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, thats too low. You should be getting upper 20's with an h.

monitor your hybrid system and set your info screen(the one behind the wheel) to display your MPG. Drive normal and see that the hybrid is assisting the propulsion of the car (see big screen). It should continually cycle bursts of power to the wheels, especially at highway speeds. Thus your using less gas to cover a greater distance. While this is happening see what your MPG is. I can do about 75 and get go between 30 -45MPG in sport mode.

You can also pay attention to how often your engine shuts off. My engine never starts when I start the car and when I'm in reverse.
Old 08-19-13, 06:20 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by RVLTN123
Hi! Lurker here. I've been enjoying my 2007 GS450h for the past 10 months or so. I bought it second hand with 36k miles and it's been a wonderful ride. However, I was expected better gas mileage. I pump with 91 octane (SoCal) and have been getting 19-21 MPG with mixed street/highway driving. Settings are normal and mileage is a little bit worse if I use Power/Sport mode. I am not an aggressive driver... pretty chill with an occasional spiritedness to overtake a slowpoke driving in a faster lane.

I'll be taking her in for a 40K service next week and figured it would be good to mention my MPG concern. Until then, any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Cheers and thanks in advance.
Usually you can get that mpg with speeding, maybe the spark plugs need to be checked as well as the engine air filter and maybe check, have you reset your mpg every time you fill up.
Old 08-20-13, 12:09 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

wtf?!? i thought that was normal? how do you guys get upper 20s?!

i am on the same exact boat with OP bought the car as a 07 model with 36k miles CPO car and ever since i got it i only get 25mpg max! that's with no AC no sport mostly highway cruising with weather being cool.

now days i only get 18 to 20.

for some reason my battery drain really quick and almost hardly recharge more than full so the engine was constantly on. Took the car to dealer a few times they say they won't do anything unless a message on your dash say check hybrid system.

the car currently has 67k miles
Old 08-20-13, 05:23 PM
LovezLexus
Driver

^This perfectly describes my car. Im at 69k, haven't replaced spark plugs or water pump. Battery drains really quick.
Old 09-11-13, 10:36 AM
RVLTN123
Driver School Candidate

Thanks L8Apex and bigblack06. Since the initial post I've gotten my 40k service where the techs changed the oil and checked the plugs---everything looks good. I've also begun monitoring the hybrid system and paying closer attention to the consumption levels. I've adjusted my driving style to be "reasonable" (easy acceleration as if someone's grandma were the passenger) but kept it in sport mode. My overall mpg is averaging 24-25 MPG. Here's what else I'm finding:

1. The hybrid does "burst" during highway cruising
2. MPG in highway cruising is between 30-40 mpg---which is what I expect
3. MPG in city street stop/go (between 15-30 mph) is in the teens---this is what seems to bring my overall MPG down

I find #3 odd because I would expect hybrids to perform best under this circumstance. I'll continue to monitor and research.
Old 09-11-13, 08:41 PM
XxGoKoUxX
Forum Moderator

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Nope, you have to consider it's a damn heavy car, and that electric motor can't give it it's all in stop and go..... My only suggestion when riding in the streets stop/go, is to REALLY ride it like a grandma, and coast coast coast as much as possible. I've managed to keep 22mpg on the city on my GS430.
Old 09-16-13, 12:18 AM
sonnyhood
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

hey guys,
i had 10-12L/100km thats around 12=20mpg 10=23.5mpg
Now im at 26mpg all day, i can push 29-30mpg on highway if i try hard even more i havent really tried, but highways here are 110km/h and my car says 7L/100km (33.6mpg)

I replaced all discs and pads and found the left rear caliper had seized.
My dealer service missed this and didnt say anything even though i paid to have brakes dismantled and inspected.
After changing the caliper, and new discs+pads my battery is always full or nearly full, and im doing easy 26mpg. it recharges so much better even on flat ground.
My car has done some KMs (175,000km), the batterys were replaced at 120k, and shocks are worn, i suspect that is causing excess friction and i expect to get better mileage.
Also my air filter and spark plugs are due to be changed. After shocks, plugs and air filter im hoping it will be smoother and mileage will show.
I would check that left caliper, the lexus parts dealer i went to say the left gets sold out most.
It gets condensation or something in it and rusts, i would pay a mechanic just to pull it apart if you cant do it yourself and just see, because i dont have faith in stealership, i mean dealerships here
Old 09-16-13, 12:24 AM
sonnyhood
Driver

Originally Posted by RVLTN123
I pump with 91 octane (SoCal) and have been getting 19-21 MPG with mixed street/highway driving.
I only use 95 octane and the motor is recommended for 95/98. I get better mileage on 95 premium octane here its called.
Old 09-24-13, 05:38 PM
man0fsteel
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry I get 20-22 avg mpg

Hi all,

Haven't been on in a long time. Like the OP, I've just about always got 20-22 mpg. I write down my mileage/mpg/gallons of fuel every fill up. I do drive about 50-50 highway/streets. All my friends harp on me because I drive like a grampa so I'm no lead foot in general driving.

I never understood how the others got such awesome mileage here. I've had my car since 2007 (got a steal on a fully loaded car that was a courtesy car for the Lexus golf tournaments - 500 miles and never registered) and depending on the price of gas, I fill up with mid grade or premium. Never noticed a difference in mileage based on the octane of the fuel I used.

The only times I get 26-27 mpg is when I'm cruising for long distances on the highway and have the cruise control set to 70.

Never thought to check the brakes...wouldn't you think you could smell the burning brake pads if it were rubbing?

It would be great if I could get more mpg...esp with the price of gas these days.
Old 09-25-13, 08:57 AM
XxGoKoUxX
Forum Moderator

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Here's a suggestion man0fsteel, What I do on my v8 is accelerate up FASTER than usual, not WHOMP it either, but just FASTER than a grandma (I know because I have the same habits as you), then I coast it when I get up to speed. If I see a yellow/red light from afar, I coast it, not giving a care about traffic behind me because we're all coming to a stop anyways. try that out and get back to me

Remember, when you accelerate, you're losing tons of MPGs (or you should), so you need to compensate by accelerating as fast as possible so that you spend less time in the lower MPG range.

GL!
Old 10-01-13, 01:13 AM
sonnyhood
Driver

it was just friction, not enough to smoke, although i did notice the rear wheels were hot couple of times.
Old 10-09-13, 02:09 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sonnyhood
My car has done some KMs (175,000km), the batterys were replaced at 120k, and shocks are worn, i suspect that is causing excess friction and i expect to get better mileage.
Also my air filter and spark plugs are due to be changed. After shocks, plugs and air filter im hoping it will be smoother and mileage will show.
I
Why was the battery changed at 120k km? Were they changed under warranty?

I'm thinking of getting a GS450h for my wife but don't really want to fork out $$$ for a new battery pack.