Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Got the Check Hybrid error - Transaxle Pump failure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-11, 12:45 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Got the Check Hybrid error - Transaxle Pump failure?

9 months into flawless ownership of my 07 400h currently with 92000 km and sadly got the Check Hybrid error message.

Brought it in to Lexus this morning and they called me saying the transaxle pump appears to have been tampered with and has failed (or is leaking/failing).

It's not under warranty (ends at 4 yrs/80K km) and parts alone are 1270$ Easily, I'm looking at a 2K$ bill after labor and tax.

Anyone with insight/feedback on this?
Old 12-21-11, 09:10 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What do they mean "appears to have been tampered with"? Transaxle is not covered under hybrid warranty (though I think it should be..how many other transmissions have electric motors in them??), but the powertrain warranty. Isn't the powertrain warrany 110 000km or five years?

***edit*** Just checked..powertrain is six years, 110 000km.

Your problem now is finding out what they mean by 'tampered' as the warranty won't cover that. Search for my posts under 'lemon' at www.lexusownersclub.com My transaxle was replaced under extended warranty at 150 000km or so as it was leaking coolant (there are some pics...very hard to see in person but there is a seam in the transaxle and mine wasn't the first vehicle to leak at that seam) If they are talking about something like this leak it is definitely covered under warranty. You may need to get Toyota corporate involved if you warn not happy with the dealer explanation of 'tampered'.

Last edited by rcy; 12-21-11 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-22-11, 05:36 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Smile

Thanks rcy. The dealer didn't mention to Lexus corp about the possible tampering. I didn't ask further since they put in a request to have me pay 20% (Lexus absorbs 80% on "good will") since apparently, the transmission oil pump is not part of the 6 yr/110k km warranty as it's considered an "external" component as opposed to "internal". But because the failure happened between 80k and 110k km, I'd have a chance to pay a pro-rated amount. Corp approved it and I got the good end of the deal. Bottom line is I paid a modest 20% at $370 and had this happened over 110k km, I'd be paying 100% of the failure. I'm glad this happened now.

I had a Camry loaner at no cost (including free gas) for the three days so I'm happy with that as well. (Camry was very smooth and quiet, but interior fit was really poor). Lexus has always come through for me over the years of Lexus vehicles I've owned when it came to servicing and accommodating the customer with a hassle-free experience. Loved the treatment and love my RX and glad I got it back fully functional and washed today.
Old 12-24-11, 06:39 AM
Kendig
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe I've seen too many attempted dealer scams, but this just seems a bit off.

The pump is clearly a very necessary part of the powertrain, and while it is bolted onto the transaxle, it's not what I'd consider an external part. I suggest you contact lexus corporate directly with a simple question: Is the transaxle oil pump covered under the powertrain warranty?

My suspicion is that the dealer may have gotten paid the full coverage amount by lexus, and scammed you for the 20%.
Old 01-30-12, 01:32 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Over a month after the service, today the dealer called me with a pleasant surprise. They said they worked with Lexus Corp to argue the pump be covered in full under the 6 year/100k km warranty. They did this without my awareness over the past month. Lo and behold, I got my full refund applied back to my credit card. I completely did not expect this as I was content paying that amount last month and the issue was non-existent for me. A++ to ErinPark Lexus in Mississauga.
Old 01-30-12, 08:53 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Nice. I usually go to Lexus of Oakville and they've replaced my inverter and transmission under warranty. A lot of that had to do with the service manager at the time who is no longer there.
Old 01-31-12, 05:45 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Agree rcy, and I never believed in the importance of "building a relationship" with the dealer, until now.
Old 01-31-12, 10:49 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Yes, the service manager who was there when I needed a new transmission saved me about $5000 (the cost of the new tranny) by making sure it was covered under my extended warranty, which had not been properly transferred to me from the previous owner. Needless to say, he received a very nice thank you gift. Unfortunately, he's no longer at the dealer.
Old 02-01-12, 04:31 PM
riwyle
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kendig
Maybe I've seen too many attempted dealer scams, but this just seems a bit off.

My suspicion is that the dealer may have gotten paid the full coverage amount by lexus, and scammed you for the 20%.
You can rightly claim that Lexus repair costs are too high, but I think to accuse his dealer of deliberate fraud is beyond the pale.