Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

2011 450h Mileage concerns?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-11, 02:14 PM
Bonty2011
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 450h Mileage concerns?

Hi Guys, Just bought 2011 Lexus 450H and very disappointed with gas mileage. My first tank averaged just shy of 18 MPG; second tank averaged something similar or maybe even less. It's in the service for diagnostics test.... I live is fairly flat area and wondering why i would average such a low gas mileage. Not convinced that dealer would come back and tell me any good news. I maybe stuck with this .....any ideas on how to improve?

ECO mode is turned on......

thanks,
Bonty
Old 01-30-11, 02:28 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

hi Bonty, welcome to the club.

There could be many reasons for the low gas mileage. Some can be the result of the hybrid powertrain's characteristics and others are your driving habits.

First the car: Driving short trips really make for bad gas mileage. when the engine is cold, the car will run like a gas model Rx and therefore will get somewhere in the teens. Once the engine warms you, you will then balance out that gas mileage. However, if you are consistently making short trips then you are not giving the engine enough time to warm out and allow it to fully utilize the hybrid powertrain.

Then there are your habits. If your concern is with gas mileage, then you will constantly have to monitor the power meter, have your nav on the fuel consumption screen, and also watch the roads so that you dont brake for no reason. I can usually get my RX in the 27mpg range but when my better half drives, the car averages around 23 (and this is in relatively warm climate region).

I have a previous post about how to fully utilize the hybrid powertrain here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6006673-post18.html

another trick I do is to turn on EV mode at stop lights. you can then use electricity to power up to 27mph (which is the most inefficient range of a gas engine) and then it will automatically turn off the mode when you are past that.

Last edited by RXSF; 01-30-11 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-30-11, 07:50 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...g-on-450h.html
Old 01-31-11, 07:27 PM
Bonty2011
Driver School Candidate

Thanks RSXF for taking the time to reply to my request. We live in a very flat area, temperatures in 40's and 50's this time of the year. Therefore, there is no reason why I should be getting 18 MPG. Putting 91 octane gas, eco mode turned on, gradual accelaration, etc. I am having the lexus guys look at it. I should be getting at least mid to high 20's. I will let you guys know what they find out in the next day or two.

thanks,
Bonty
Old 01-31-11, 07:35 PM
Bonty2011
Driver School Candidate

Thanks JimH2. I looked at thread and amazed to see how many folks are actually getting mileage close to published 30MPG in city. I need to figure what's going on with my car.... hopefully, the service guys diagnose and find something ... Bonty
Old 02-01-11, 05:25 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

You should be getting more than 18 for sure in your climate conditions. I have kept track of my mileage (calculated after each fillup) since new in October. I have averaged 25.2 MPG (city + highway use) for the 1st 2,000 miles (mine is a 2010 450h). It has been a mild winter here (between 30's - 50's temperatures). I have not used the ECO mode yet. You should calculate the MPG by hand vs. relying on the vehicles figure to see how close it is also.
Old 02-01-11, 10:29 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

I also wonder if there are some small differences associated with gasoline formulations per State/Areas. In Oregon, our gas has the 10 % ethanol mix added. In my other cars, that leads to a loss of 1 + MPG (~ 5 % less efficient in energy).

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/GFM...soline_Map.pdf
Old 02-03-11, 06:28 AM
currybob
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think I could make my car get that low of MPGs no matter how I drive.

I am always over 30 mpg but I don't drive aggressive but I don't let the grass grow under my tires either. I do have the ability at several gas stations to get ethanol free gas.

Something has got to be off.

Bob
Old 02-03-11, 07:51 PM
maxlemke
Driver School Candidate

Default 2011 450h mileage

I just returned from a road trip where I put 4000 miles on the car. I noticed dramatic differences in mileage between tanks. On one tank I too received 19 mpg. I bought that tank just outside of Dallas in Rockwall. I believe it was gas with a high portion of ethanol.
I live in Denver and I am averaging round 31 mpg in my daily commute to work. In this commute I do not get to speeds above 55. I added an extra 2 pounds of air pressure to my tires which helps. (35 for 33 recommended.) Recently the temp has been 0 degrees. I noticed my tire pressure dropped from 35 to 31. My mileage has dropped from 31 to 27.5. I see the gas engine is on more to warm the battery and compartment. I have not tried turning on the EVO mode when at a stop light but planned too.
Old 02-04-11, 07:50 AM
katman
Driver School Candidate

Tank three for mine, running premium now with evo on. It's showing 26.4.
Old 02-05-11, 08:56 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

How long are you letting it warm up before you drive the car?
Old 02-06-11, 10:01 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by billy44bo
How long are you letting it warm up before you drive the car?
Billy
Hybrids don't have a warm up period, just don't floor it from cold start.
Old 02-06-11, 10:17 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Cruiter ,if you are in a very cold place (Ma) that drive might be letting the car warm up (warm inside the car)with the auto start or starting the car and letting it warm up before getting in and driving off in it and low mpg would be the cost of doing this all the time would it not? That was why I ask . For us in Ga or in my case LA (lower Alabama) we would just get in and drive but for those with all that snow on the ground I do not know if they would or would not
Old 02-06-11, 06:31 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I glanced at the on-line manual and found these two paragraphs. To me they say two different things, but for myself I always warm up the car in winter. Even if I have the climate control in auto at a moderate cabin temperature, I can hear the engine changing changing tones and speeds as it "warms up". I prefer the engine, transmission and whatever else warmed up before I take off. Old habits die hard, especially if below zero.

In winter: Because the gasoline engine will not automatically cut out until
the gasoline engine and the interior of the vehicle are warm, it will con-
sume fuel. Also, fuel consumption can be improved by avoiding overuse of
the heater.

Warming up before driving
Since the gasoline engine starts up and cuts out automatically when cold,
warming up the engine is unnecessary. Moreover, frequently driving short
distances will cause the engine to repeatedly warm up, which can lead to
poor fuel consumption.
Old 02-06-11, 07:25 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

modern cars need not be warmed up at all. When its cold out, I just warm it up for 10 seconds and then take off. If you drive easy for the first 5 minutes, everything should be fine.

Quick Reply: 2011 450h Mileage concerns?