Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-09, 10:07 PM
barbaresh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default whats your mpg on RX450h?

We just got the hybrid-first fill-up we only got 24.5 mpg-in mostly city driving-
What other mileage numbers are people getting and does mileage improve?

Any tips for driving a hybrid to improve mileage? Does mileage get better as car gets "worn in?"
The following users liked this post:
Blkbear (05-24-21)
Old 07-18-09, 10:15 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

mileage usually gets better as the engine breaks in.

in the mean time, try staying the green zone of the tach as long as possible. Coast as long as possible, and only push down on the pedal a little so that the car only uses the electric motors instead of activating the gas engine. and of course, no jack rabbit starts
toner11 (04-18-20)
Old 07-18-09, 10:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by barbaresh
We just got the hybrid-first fill-up we only got 24.5 mpg-in mostly city driving-

Any tips for driving a hybrid to improve mileage? Does mileage get better as car gets "worn in?"
As stated as the engine wears in, MPG will improve. What kills Lexus hybrids is constant stop and goes. Why? It takes a lot to move the 4100 lbs GS, the 4500 lbs RX and 5000 lbs LS hybrids. I hate having to stop at red lights.

Is this your first hybrid? It really takes time to learn how to drive it and get the most out of it. Its fun to me!

Over time, you will get better.
Old 07-18-09, 10:23 PM
barbaresh
Driver School Candidate

Thanks-yes this is our first hybrid-we had driven the RX400H as a loaner when our GS300 was getting serviced. Though that was great-we feel this model is vastly improved
Old 07-18-09, 10:31 PM
LexFather

Thanks-yes this is our first hybrid-we had driven the RX400H as a loaner when our GS300 was getting serviced. Though that was great-we feel this model is vastly improved
My tips....
you should learn how to space yourself out between cars where you don't tap the brake or the accelerator. This is the art of coasting! I've noticed Lexus hybrids coast better than anything short of a 2000 lbs car!
Clearly punching the gas hurts MPG so do it at am minimum.
I've noticed my h really does well when the engine has warmed up. It doesn't get its best MPG cold.
Driving with the windows down on the highway (I would say over 45mph) hurts MPG b/c of drag.
Try to keep complete stops to a minimum.
Keep track of what gas you use (only premium). I have noticed differences in MPG depending on gas (I use Shell).

I never thought I'd have "fun" driving efficiently but that's what I've learned. The forum Priuschat is pretty cool to read as well.

Mike
Old 07-19-09, 02:38 AM
art123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting about 25mpg but that is driving mainly on the turnpike at 90 to 100moh and includes a few jack rabbit starts. If I drove to conserve fuel I could probably get 28mpg.
Old 07-19-09, 03:35 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default After three weeks

Like others have said, it's pretty much the 'art' of driving it. I've learned to use the ECO setting and though it's not always possible when you need to accelerate in traffic try to keep it in the 'green' area as much as possible and burn premium only. Don't worry to much about 'sitting' at traffic lights. It will almost never burn fuel because everything such as a/c, power steering, etc is electric. There is not even a belt. So any extra gas usage is from the getting back to speed.

On the road drag is your biggest enemy so speeds of 60 to 65 will get you 30 plus on the hwy and 70 to 75 will give you the advertised 28 range. See my post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4677062-post1.html of our trip to FL after 3 weeks of ownership.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we are. It's a wonderful machine.

Last edited by Cruiter; 07-19-09 at 03:38 AM.
LexusNewbie (07-18-23)
Old 07-19-09, 09:17 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
My tips....
you should learn how to space yourself out between cars where you don't tap the brake or the accelerator. This is the art of coasting! I've noticed Lexus hybrids coast better than anything short of a 2000 lbs car!
Clearly punching the gas hurts MPG so do it at am minimum.
I've noticed my h really does well when the engine has warmed up. It doesn't get its best MPG cold.
Driving with the windows down on the highway (I would say over 45mph) hurts MPG b/c of drag.
Try to keep complete stops to a minimum.
Keep track of what gas you use (only premium). I have noticed differences in MPG depending on gas (I use Shell).

I never thought I'd have "fun" driving efficiently but that's what I've learned. The forum Priuschat is pretty cool to read as well.

Mike
Loving these wordings!!!

* I learned how to drive Toyota/Lexus Hybrid from your previous posts... although I still don't like them, I have to agree these vehicles are goooood...
Old 07-23-09, 01:40 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

There is nothing more annoying than some jerk practicing "the art of coasting" in front of you in a traffic formation, especially when he (or she) is coasting into a "stale" green light and you know that you're the sap who is going to end up being in the pole position at the subsequent red light.
Old 07-23-09, 09:31 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

I observed a fleet of drivers doing teh similar things, including Hybrid and regular vehicles. This is quite irksome to me. It is very spiteful of anyone to do that. But I can understand everyone has their own ways of driving.
Old 07-29-09, 10:50 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

As stated as the engine wears in, MPG will improve. What kills Lexus hybrids is constant stop and goes. Why? It takes a lot to move the 4100 lbs GS, the 4500 lbs RX and 5000 lbs LS hybrids. I hate having to stop at red lights.
Lex, I think your GS is a bit different than the RX. I found that our RX (the 400h) does really well in city driving. Usually doing anywhere from 26 (if its cold) to 30 MPG, where Hwy can be from 25 to 29 MPG. I drove all city the other day and I estimated that my consumption for the trip was about 35 MPG.

To the OP, yes as the engine breaks in your mileage will improve. It did for us anyway.
Old 07-30-09, 09:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rxets
Loving these wordings!!!

* I learned how to drive Toyota/Lexus Hybrid from your previous posts... although I still don't like them, I have to agree these vehicles are goooood...
Thanks! Funny going back into non hybrid cars, it really shows the difference.
Originally Posted by CRB
There is nothing more annoying than some jerk practicing "the art of coasting" in front of you in a traffic formation, especially when he (or she) is coasting into a "stale" green light and you know that you're the sap who is going to end up being in the pole position at the subsequent red light.
No worse than the jerk in the non-hybrid texting, on the phone, eating and doing everything else BUT driving.
Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Lex, I think your GS is a bit different than the RX. I found that our RX (the 400h) does really well in city driving. Usually doing anywhere from 26 (if its cold) to 30 MPG, where Hwy can be from 25 to 29 MPG. I drove all city the other day and I estimated that my consumption for the trip was about 35 MPG.

To the OP, yes as the engine breaks in your mileage will improve. It did for us anyway.
True. The RX gets better City MPG. The GS hates the City

Trying to slowly convince the G/F if we need a SUV, then a 400h is in order. 450h is nicer but pricier.
Old 07-30-09, 09:42 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Trying to slowly convince the G/F if we need a SUV, then a 400h is in order. 450h is nicer but pricier.
you know you want it! how often can you say, "i have two 450h"
Old 07-31-09, 03:49 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

What octane level does the manual recommend? I have no problem paying a little extra to get the better mileage.
Old 07-31-09, 07:53 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
What octane level does the manual recommend? I have no problem paying a little extra to get the better mileage.
91. And it seems to make enough of a difference, I'll stay with it. Price fluctuates so much anyway, it's just a matter of overcoming it mentally.

Quick Reply: whats your mpg on RX450h?