HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Heated steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-15, 12:43 PM
skywise
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Heated steering wheel?

My poor wife doesn't like the cold and the one thing she really would like is a heated steering wheel.
Did the HS ever have a heated steering wheel?

If not, is there a functional third party product that works?
Old 04-16-15, 04:36 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm not aware of that ever being offered as an option, though it might be something they offer in the Japanese market.
Old 04-17-15, 05:45 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't ever remember a heated wheel for the HS, even in the Japanese market.

A wood wheel, yes, but heated, no. In fact, I don't think too many Lexus models come with a heated wheel either. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The problem with an aftermarket wheel is that the power needs to be brought into the heating elements in the wheel through a clock spring. The same clock spring that controls your steering wheel buttons and airbags. It's underneath the wheel itself. It would be an expensive retrofit.
Old 06-25-15, 06:19 PM
Aleks1
Driver School Candidate

Not sure how much the HS shares with the CT, but I just retrofitted a heated steering wheel in and everything was there for it, no splicing etc.. but it was a big pain and required hours of reading...

I would bet that if there is a way to do it on your car you would just need to check under the panel piece with option blanks for a connector just like the one in the pictures of my retrofit thread
Old 06-28-15, 01:49 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow!! You are a modding king!!

How did you find the copper ring connector large enough to carry the amps needed to heat the wheel? I'd think something might melt, like along the lines of putting 100 watt headlight bulbs in and then melting the supply wires.

I replaced my original leather wheel with a wood one from a JDM HS I got from Japan, and when I looked under there, there was a whole lot of stuff I didn't want to mess with, including the airbag wiring!

Last edited by TheAirman; 06-28-15 at 01:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-29-15, 06:12 AM
Aleks1
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Originally Posted by TheAirman
Wow!! You are a modding king!!

How did you find the copper ring connector large enough to carry the amps needed to heat the wheel? I'd think something might melt, like along the lines of putting 100 watt headlight bulbs in and then melting the supply wires.

I replaced my original leather wheel with a wood one from a JDM HS I got from Japan, and when I looked under there, there was a whole lot of stuff I didn't want to mess with, including the airbag wiring!
All the heating elements and wiring is in the steering wheel (The one I bought) Check your HS wood steering wheel for a small computer box at the bottom of the wheel (Under airbag) with a few wires running to it, if you have this chances are your steering wheel has the heating elements as well.

Even if you do have this you will still need a clock spring that has the heated steering wheel plug.

The steering wheel is designed from the factory to heat, so there shouldn't be any melting or any kind of danger.

Note above is true for CT not necessarily HS vehicles. (Although possible)
Old 06-29-15, 06:31 AM
weirdone
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not aware that there is such thing existed until you mentioned it. According to my research you can buy heated steering wheel covers from Amazon.
Old 06-29-15, 12:21 PM
Aleks1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by weirdone
I am not aware that there is such thing existed until you mentioned it. According to my research you can buy heated steering wheel covers from Amazon.
Always wondered how those worked... like how does the wire not get all tangled up when you turn the wheel?
Old 06-30-15, 10:37 AM
homoonar
Driver School Candidate

Lol guys, it's June right now and it has been over 30 degree Celsius for the past two days here in Vancouver.

Instead of thinking about heated steering wheel I am more inclined on figuring out how to make those "cold air blowing seats". Haha Although I am not ready to poke holes through my leather yet.
Old 09-25-18, 05:55 PM
ErikBalmer
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The hs did come with a heated steering wheel option. Rare but it does exist.