HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

License plate bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-11, 05:51 PM
561HS250H
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default License plate bulbs

Id like to replace my current license plate bulbs with LED ones. I did a search and see that the size that fits our cars is the 2825/194 type. I visited many sites that carry these bulbs (superbrightleds.com, autoillumination.com etc) and they have many different versions of these bulbs. I just want the ones that can fit and give the most OEM look (bright white). If anyone has done this to their car or has some insight please help me out
Thanks in advance
Old 06-24-11, 07:28 PM
dalton
Rookie

Originally Posted by 561HS250H
Id like to replace my current license plate bulbs with LED ones. I did a search and see that the size that fits our cars is the 2825/194 type. I visited many sites that carry these bulbs (superbrightleds.com, autoillumination.com etc) and they have many different versions of these bulbs. I just want the ones that can fit and give the most OEM look (bright white). If anyone has done this to their car or has some insight please help me out
Thanks in advance
Hey 561HS250h,

I've been wanting to do the same, but am concerned like you about it not looking OEM or looking too off. Also, not sure about the life of those bulbs or whether or not it would short circuit. Maybe I worry too much. I'm hoping someone on the forum and I'm sure there are many, could shed some light.

Just read on the CT forum that MattRN changed his out on his CTh. Really bright on the licence plates. He got them from luxurymods.com.

I'll see if I can find some info on the change out, but hopefully someone knows which bulbs have the best OEM look.

dalton
Old 06-25-11, 11:54 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

bulb #194 is the most common bulb for any license plate light, imo all the new lexus like the hs, their license plate lights are bright enough (imo overly bright from factory) already. but if you want try, the super star models from that site, i have the original super stars on my IS (near the bottom of that website's page) didn't want sometime to bright (to attract unwanted attention), so i went with the dimmest possible leds and i like it.
Old 06-26-11, 09:58 PM
dalton
Rookie

Originally Posted by the.wong.k
bulb #194 is the most common bulb for any license plate light, imo all the new lexus like the hs, their license plate lights are bright enough (imo overly bright from factory) already. but if you want try, the super star models from that site, i have the original super stars on my IS (near the bottom of that website's page) didn't want sometime to bright (to attract unwanted attention), so i went with the dimmest possible leds and i like it.
Hey the.wong.k,

Thank you. I'll search it. By any chance do you have a photo of the ones in your car? Just wanted to see how bright. I'm with you, not so blinding bright to where it draws unwanted attention. I'll probably go with the 'dim' ones too.
Thanks,
dalton
Old 06-27-11, 04:09 AM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dalton
Hey the.wong.k,

Thank you. I'll search it. By any chance do you have a photo of the ones in your car? Just wanted to see how bright. I'm with you, not so blinding bright to where it draws unwanted attention. I'll probably go with the 'dim' ones too.
Thanks,
dalton
ill get a pic up for u
Old 06-27-11, 08:17 AM
dalton
Rookie

I found the instructions for replacement if anybody needs it.
Old 06-29-11, 09:51 PM
3disGS
Driver School Candidate

Can someone post some pics..
and dalton, can you post the instructions. thanks.
Old 06-30-11, 05:48 PM
dalton
Rookie

Originally Posted by 3disGS
Can someone post some pics..
and dalton, can you post the instructions. thanks.

Het 3disGS:

Follow the URL here for instructions on replacing the license plate bulb then move down to page 477. Actually, all the do it yourself bulb replacements can be found here. But check page 477. Did you get new LED bulbs?

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...df/sec_4-3.pdf

dalton
Old 06-30-11, 08:29 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dalton
Hey the.wong.k,

Thanks,
dalton
Old 11-04-11, 08:01 AM
561HS250H
Driver School Candidate

if anyone has upgraded their license plate bulbs with LED's can someone send me a link to the type of bulb and size. and if they could post pics that would be helpful also.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-05-11, 05:51 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Hs license plate light LED upgrade is kind of a special challenge.
1. Because you have to remove part of the trunk lining to get to them and it’s those hard to get out, easy to break plastic rivets that you have to remove.
2. Because there is not much space in the socket and the original 194 bulb is a tight fit and most LED bulbs are bigger than the one they replace.
3. And finally because the bulb sits in the socket at an angle and most LED bulbs are forward firing and very directional, so when I tried a forward firing LED, the light was directed towards the top of the plate and it looked bad. Not an evenly spread, uniform light like the original bulb.

At first I tried these bulbs:

http://www.easyauctionjapan.com/prod...tId=d123570648

They were expensive as compared to other LED’s, and they were very bright. Almost too bright for my taste. My goal was to try to keep the same subdued light as the original, but change the color to the whiter LED and use less energy. And the SMT LED’s on these were just too bright. It lit up the ground around the rear of the car too much. But they were the only one of this type that fit the small space.

I finally used these:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ini-wedge.html

The WLED-x5 model in natural white. I think they are a nice white color and not too overwhelming bright like most peoples LED license bulbs they use. They almost look “factory” to me, and with a 220 degree beam pattern, the have a nice light spread.

First is a picture of the bulbs.

Next is a picture of the 5 lower rivets you have to remove to gain access to the bulbs, the 2 reverse light covers that you just pull off, and the plastic pry tool I used to remove those rivets. Some people use a screwdriver to pry out those rivets. Some people use needle nose pliers. Just be careful. They are fragile.

Next is a picture of the bulb location behind the truck cover. To the right of the red wire clamp is the one side. You can just see the other side.

Last is a picture of the original bulb and the LED. LED is on the left. It's really not any brighter, but it changes the color temperature to a more modern look.
Attached Thumbnails License plate bulbs-dsc02958-medium-.jpg   License plate bulbs-dsc02953-medium-.jpg   License plate bulbs-dsc02956-medium-.jpg   License plate bulbs-dsc02957-medium-.jpg  
Old 12-06-11, 12:51 AM
AUTO Design
Former Sponsor

Very nice & detail write up
Old 02-28-12, 06:29 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks TheAirman for suggesting these! I just ordered the LED's shown above (WLED-NW5) to replace the WLED-WHP5 on my Prius, which should be a little dimmer. My goal is to tone it down a tad to give it more of an OEM look like on my IS-F.

Picture below shows the WLED-WHP5's which are a little brighter than I'd like.

Last edited by caymandive; 02-28-12 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-02-12, 06:09 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Installed the new LED's today and I'm very pleased! Same Natural White color only dimmer.

WHP5 (Left side) vs WLED-NW5 (Right Side)

Old 03-09-12, 04:48 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good!!

Sometimes just toning it down a little makes thing look much better. With LED's, there are so many new choices to explore.

Now I wish some people would tone it down a little with those blue headlight bulbs that are so annoying.