Engine Area Ticking Noises

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-21, 12:15 AM
ben7
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts
Lightbulb Engine Area Ticking Noises

Hi everyone,

I’m noticing a ticking noise from my 2017 Lexus GX 460’s engine when the hood is opened, otherwise I don’t hear any ticking when it’s closed.

It’s got just over 31,700 miles (pretty low mileage) and it had a full inspection run by Lexus when I bought it a few months ago which came out with good results.

I’ve read that the Lexus DI engines tick but the GX 460 motor is not DI as far as I understand, so is the ticking normal and why does it tick?

Here is a video clip of the engine sound with ticking:
View this post on Instagram
Old 06-16-21, 07:37 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

I don't hear anything abnormal on the video, the ticking is probably the injectors. Take the plastic cover off, get a mechanic's stethoscope and check where the ticking is coming from if you are concerned. These engines go beyond 200k miles if maintained so at 37k the chances of having mechanical problems is quite slim.
Old 11-15-21, 07:52 PM
RMDTHWK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need diagnosis help: engine ticking.

Hey guys, how common are manifold leaks on the 460? My 2013 has 73k miles and I've noticed a ticking sound coming from the drivers side of the engine; it almost sounds like an exhaust leak but I only hear this when my front windows are down at lower speeds and low throttle input (can't tell if happening at higher speeds due to wind drowning out the sound). No ticking sound at idle or revving in park, etc. I can't hear this with the windows up either. Also only happens after the engine is warm so thinking it’s not an exhaust leak..

I changed my oil just prior to hearing this sound with 0-20W Mobil 1 Extended Performance but am not sure the sound occurred as a result of the oil change. I live in Southern AZ and I've had my windows up all summer. Some say Toyota engines are picky with oil types and could be lifter noise? I saw a thread while researching (on FaceBook) that indicated some people have loose spark plugs that were the culprit of this ticking sound. So, being that the GX is newish to me I went ahead and put in some new NGK's but the problem persists. Perhaps its a timing chain related issue or bad fuel injector? I don't have any check engine lights and it seems to drive normally for a heavy pig with 300 HP.

Old 11-15-21, 08:33 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 819 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by RMDTHWK
Hey guys, how common are manifold leaks on the 460? My 2013 has 73k miles and I've noticed a ticking sound coming from the drivers side of the engine; it almost sounds like an exhaust leak but I only hear this when my front windows are down at lower speeds and low throttle input (can't tell if happening at higher speeds due to wind drowning out the sound). No ticking sound at idle or revving in park, etc. I can't hear this with the windows up either. Also only happens after the engine is warm so thinking it’s not an exhaust leak..

I changed my oil just prior to hearing this sound with 0-20W Mobil 1 Extended Performance but am not sure the sound occurred as a result of the oil change. I live in Southern AZ and I've had my windows up all summer. Some say Toyota engines are picky with oil types and could be lifter noise?
Don't recall that.
Old 11-15-21, 08:51 PM
RMDTHWK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tecman
Don't recall that.
Sounds like it’s more common with the 5.7’s.
Old 11-17-21, 07:50 AM
John00
Racer

Received 363 Likes on 277 Posts

I had a similar sound, although slightly louder, on a different vehicle. In that case it was the transmission. I never bothered to fix it, I just slightly pressed on the gas while at stoplights.
Old 11-06-22, 07:20 AM
thatsBS90
4th Gear

Default Brand New GX -- Ticking/Sewing Machine Sound When Accelerating

Hi all,

Just picked up a brand new GX460 and I've noticed that when I'm accelerating (particularly under load) I hear a ticking noise that sounds most similar to a sewing machine coming from the left/front area. The sound almost has a metallic tone to it and it's really rapid. The engine also has to be completely warm before it starts to happen. I took it in to have it looked at and the first time they of course told me they couldn't replicate it and then I asked them to try again under more specific conditions and they heard it but said it's totally normal. The tech drove another GX to compare and said it makes the same sound. I took some videos but you need to listen really closely to hear it in them as the sound is tough to hear behind the background noise. It's much louder and more noticeable in person. Can anyone shed any light on this? Or maybe it really is normal for this engine? Thanks everyone.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
GX Eng Sound 1.mov (7.34 MB, 152 views)
GX Eng Sound 2.mov (2.53 MB, 69 views)
Old 11-06-22, 07:42 AM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't hear it....
Old 11-06-22, 07:46 AM
thatsBS90
4th Gear

It's definitely hard to hear in the videos. Gotta listen really closely. Easier to hear in the longer of the two videos.
Old 11-06-22, 10:15 AM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

I don’t hear it.
Old 11-06-22, 11:49 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I listened with headphones. Sounds like a beautifully running V8 to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by rj4510:
brutus27 (09-17-23), FastTurtle (11-09-22)
Old 11-07-22, 05:37 AM
gregGX
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Not hearing it either, but given that these engines are running a timing chain, and not a belt, there will be some noise from that - my Tacoma has the same thing, sounds like someone operating a sewing machine in just the right instances, more noticeable with the windows down and trees/buildings on the sides of the vehicle. I have another vehicle with a timing chain, and it also has a similar sound, I do believe it is normal. Hopefully that's all it is.

Best,
Greg
The following users liked this post:
brutus27 (11-07-22)
Old 11-07-22, 10:08 AM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

I heard it today. I drove about 3 miles and parked it in a parking lot, heard the sewing machine noise. When I drove back I heard the same noise when it was running. It sounded like drive belt rattling. I am
not concerned.
Old 11-09-22, 12:57 PM
thatsBS90
4th Gear

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I agree in the original videos it’s very hard to hear so I took another that’s much clearer.

I uploaded two side by side…one where you can’t hear the sound (because the engine block isn’t fully warmed up yet) and another where it’s very clear.

It’s really driving me nuts because as clearly as you can hear it in the new video I hear it 10x worse physically sitting in the vehicle. Something sounds really off.
Attached Files
NO Chain:Rattle Sound.MOV (1.70 MB, 47 views)
Chain:Rattle Sound.MOV (2.29 MB, 72 views)
Old 11-09-22, 01:56 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts

Ask the dealer if you can test drive another GX.. see if you hear it on that as well..

Quick Reply: Engine Area Ticking Noises