GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

bumper scraped!!! question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-06, 06:03 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry bumper scraped!!! question...

well folks - bad luck today - some loser in stopped traffic wanted to change lane - was too close behind my GX and as he pulled out scrapped the bumper on the left side. The guy took off in his fine RAV4.....(I wasn't driving but my wife was...suffice to say she rightly did not chase the loser ...). Unfortunately she did not get his plates...

Now I am stuck with a bumper where the silver has been scrapped off - 3 streaks - and unfortunately I can see the black so not a simple touch up job..Does anyone know cost to paint the bumper (the streaks are about 2-3 inches long and 1/4 inch wide).
Old 02-01-06, 07:01 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I recommend taking it to a collision body shop, not the dealer. I had a similar scrape on the back bumper and it cost $190 to have it filled, sanded and painted. Can't tell where the fix is. Only downside is you will need to leave your car there overnight to let the paint cure.
Old 02-02-06, 09:52 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

This may sound redundant but when you saw the black, you're saying that it's deep down to the bare bumper and not the black from the rav4's plastic/rubber trims rubbing on the GX?

I had some black streaks on my GS rear bumper and fortunately, it was caused by a scrape, not a deep gouge from another car bumper. I took some rubbing/polishing compound and came right off!
Old 02-02-06, 11:06 AM
kidlt
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, to here that. Just got my bumper painted for scratches on my GX. It ran me about $545
Old 02-02-06, 11:11 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should cost you about $200. Same thing happened to a `99 GS300 I used to own. At the time I took it to the dealer's body shop and they did the repairs for that amount. The good part is that they ended up repainting both bumpers and the side skirts because the valet at the dealership managed to scratch the front bumper and one of the door skirts. I was real nice about it when they brought my car to me: I inspected the car, saw the damages and asked for the manager, and told the manager when he appeared and saw what had happened that they had to repaint everything since I didn't want the finish (diamond white) to be mis-matched. The manager was real cool about it and said they would do everything I asked and also would detail the car inside and outside for me. Needless to say, I've continued to do business with that dealer (5 Lexus cars to date).
Old 02-02-06, 11:13 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kidlt
Sorry, to here that. Just got my bumper painted for scratches on my GX. It ran me about $545
$545 seems like a lot. Was there extensive damage?
Old 02-02-06, 11:20 AM
kidlt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
$545 seems like a lot. Was there extensive damage?
deep scratches all the way to the plastic. i have a 05 blizzard pearl. the paint is a three stage process. the bumper was only scratched on one side, but the whole bumper had to be painted for it to look exact to the rest of the truck.
Old 02-02-06, 11:59 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kidlt
deep scratches all the way to the plastic. i have a 05 blizzard pearl. the paint is a three stage process. the bumper was only scratched on one side, but the whole bumper had to be painted for it to look exact to the rest of the truck.
That will do it! Pearl is a beautiful finish; however, the downside...
Old 02-02-06, 07:12 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Unhappy

thanks for feedback..quoted about $450 at the body shop.....scratches only on left side but they will paint whole bumper and put a 'clear coat' on it....they will have to take the bumper off...car is only 2 months old!!
Old 02-03-06, 03:24 PM
leot
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Jesus, God; I can't understand why people get excited about exterior damage. Your Lexus is just a way to get from point A to point B in comfort and with superior mechanics and electronics..
Who cares if it has dents, scratches, mismatched paint, as long as EVERYTHING works.
I have 3 Lexus, all have dents, scratches, bird**** swirls. (I have never washed or polished any of the 8 Lexus I have owned, except when the dealer did it for free.) I am just as serene inside my bashed up lexus , as you are in your immaculate one. My tires are always correctly filled. and have a lot of tread left. My mirrors are clean. My doors open and close with the lexus sound, even though they would be thrown out by a junkyard. When I show up with cash, for a new car, the dealers don't panic, they know how to give my tradein the cosmetics, needed to auction it off.
One thing for sure; the person who buys my tradein is going to get a car that has been serviced above and beyond the normal mechanical requirements.
Old 02-03-06, 05:11 PM
GXPrado
Driver

Originally Posted by leot
Jesus, God; I can't understand why people get excited about exterior damage. Your Lexus is just a way to get from point A to point B in comfort and with superior mechanics and electronics..
Who cares if it has dents, scratches, mismatched paint, as long as EVERYTHING works.
I have 3 Lexus, all have dents, scratches, bird**** swirls. (I have never washed or polished any of the 8 Lexus I have owned, except when the dealer did it for free.) I am just as serene inside my bashed up lexus , as you are in your immaculate one. My tires are always correctly filled. and have a lot of tread left. My mirrors are clean. My doors open and close with the lexus sound, even though they would be thrown out by a junkyard. When I show up with cash, for a new car, the dealers don't panic, they know how to give my tradein the cosmetics, needed to auction it off.
One thing for sure; the person who buys my tradein is going to get a car that has been serviced above and beyond the normal mechanical requirements.
although I feel it's not a big deal, when you pay $50K for a vehicle I think there is some expectation of "perfection". Functional is $12K. $50K is well beyond "everything works". People love their cars and want them perfect.

Maybe it can be polished out if it's not thru the paint to minimize it. I would just live with it, repaints can be a pita if they are not good. What if the color is slightly off or a area is cloudy or not perfect? Dont trade one blemish for another. If you do it, just find someone really good.

Hey, even the mona lisa is falling apart
Old 02-04-06, 07:34 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Thumbs up

for what it's worth - bought the $7 Lexus touch up paint and the small scratches are hardly noticeable now...so will put off any $500 bumper repairs ...its not the money but the bumper really does not need $500 for 2 inch long scratches that are hardly noticeable....
Old 02-05-06, 06:41 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Why spend the money on a lexus if that's your thought..........Why not save money and drive a Yugo??
Old 02-05-06, 06:04 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

I am just as serene inside my bashed up lexus , as you are in your immaculate one.
I think you answered your question. Personally, I like neat and clean - my, house, cars, clothes, office, etc. But, that's me.
Old 02-05-06, 07:57 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

No more than $200.