Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scrape on front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-07, 03:42 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Scrape on front bumper

Hi, well... It finally happened. I scraped the front bumper of my SC along the foot step of an SUV or some large SUV like thing. My fault and they had no damage so off we went.

The result, I have a, oh... foot long black stripe along the bottom of my front bumper about an inch or so wide and a smaller scratch higher up on the front with very minor cracking, that is so minor I just want to fix the paint as best as possible. Luckily their car was pretty crappy and already falling apart so there was a good amount of give when I hit it and it didn't knock my bumper off as a new car with firmly attached sides would have.

What I have done.

Successfully removed the black plastic gunk off of the turning light with scratch x to as where you can find it if you look for it.

As for the rest.

I used tar remover and have managed to get off 99% of black plastic gunk that rubbed off their foot step and instead of big unsightly bar, am now left with long scratches I can feel with my nails and a small part where the bumper plastic got cut into.

What are you're suggestions to how I can fix this?

Should have taken some before pictures so you could see how bad it was! It's so much better now but I think I can make it better to hide it more.

I have the blob remover by langia but it's been raining for the past month and temps are between the mid 30's and 50's. Is that too cold to use touch up paint? Haven't used it before

Here is a pic if I got this to work right of the main part of the damage. Other parts are slightly less... let's see if I can put them in later.
Attached Thumbnails Scrape on front bumper-z1-2a.jpg  
Old 03-24-07, 03:47 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Here's the second pic. The higher up one is too light in the pic to see. I wish I had access to my online account cuz then I'd just put the links up. Thanks for any suggestions in this case.
Attached Thumbnails Scrape on front bumper-z-right-undera.jpg  
Old 03-24-07, 08:55 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the pictures, some parts only looks like surface scratches, and no actual clear coat cracking. If so...buff it out Some compound polish and meguiars scratchX.
If the white scratch on the front spoiler is the bumper plastic, you'll need to do a repaint though.
Old 03-25-07, 01:12 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Thanks, I might have to try some good ol elbow grease.