GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS460 oil burning issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-18, 12:48 PM
Pal18
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GS460 oil burning issue

My car seems to be burning oil at a significant speed. 2 weeks ago, the car gave me a "low engine oil" message is the status display in the dashboard. It then went away 30 seconds later and it didn't come back on. I didn't gave it much attention since there's no oil leak in my driveway. I thought that maybe the cold temperature somehow gave false read or something. I don't have the car for that long (only since August of this year). Last week, I got the same message again, but this time it stayed visible for even less time. Maybe 10 seconds top. At that point though, I decided to have a check at my oil level. I mean, my last oil change was at 196,800km. Car is now at 200,850km. I didn't have any leak. In my mind, there was absolute no chance of my Lexus V8 engine being a heavy drinker. I was certain that my oil sensor went bad instead. But still, I told myself "I'll just check anyway". Lo and behold, the stick came out ****ing dry. Like, I would reinsert it a dozen times, remove it and have the same result over and over. I quickly went to my dealer. I explained the situation. They then sold me 2 litre of synthetic toyota oil, 0w20. I started pouring one bottle down the engine. I waited a bit. I then read the dip stick. It was still as dry as ever. I then poured the second bottle. This time, there was only a little bit of oil at the very bottom of the stick, far from the indicators. I went back inside and they agreed to inspect the bottom of the car as well as the engine bay. Result: No apparent leak.

I've been able to add a full bottle of Rislone engine treatment (16.9oz or 500ml) and now the dipstick shows full, at the top indicator. This means I was missing 2.5L with only 4000km driven since my last oil change.

4000/2.5 = 1600km
1600 / 1.6 = 1000 miles

So yeah, the engine burns around a quarter per 1000 miles. It's pretty bad. Not BMW bad, but still much worse than I expect from a V8 Lexus motor. It's not the end of the world. If anything, this explains the performance of my engine. I've made a thread back in August where I was trying to understand why my GS460 accelerated slower than expected (0-60 in about 7 seconds or so). I've tried changing the transmission oil, spark plugs, had my injector cleaned, tried a bottle of seafoam in the intake, tried numerous fuel additive, had the cats inspected, etc. All was good. It drove me nuts! I guess this oil burning issue explains it. Loss of engine compression and all.

I'm not going to invest to fix the issue. I'll live with it I guess. I still love the car very much. More than ever in fact. I just wish it didn't have this issue!

At least I can now move on with the freaking acceleration issue lol.

Some people told me that this Rislone oil additive could help with oil burning issue. I'll give you an update later to let you know if it worked or not.

Peace!

Old 11-05-18, 02:02 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

The 460 and 350 share the same piston and rings, and certain cars do have oil consumption. But the majority I see are from owners running synthetic oils and running them for 5k miles. Have you been running to 5k miles?

I run non-synthetic oil and only run it for 3k miles. I only use castrol gtx, and im close to 180k miles with no issues.

This is my theory on this issue! Is that dirt, carbon, and grime have gummed up your pistons oil control rings. Pistons have 3 layers 2 are for compression and bottom are for oil control. When those rings get gummed up in between the piston and the rings, the rings get locked into the pistons. Once they get carbon locked usually they are compressed closed into the piston. Piston rings have a ring gap, and if that gap isnt there and the rings arent floating properly, then oil will creep up the sides of the piston and into the combustion chamber therefore burning that oil out the tail pipe.

Here is something you can do if youre handy with working on your own car. Remove all the spark plugs, and pour equal amounts of seafoam into each spark plug hole, enough to fully submerge the tops of the pistons. Let this sit for awhile, and periodically check each hole and see which piston is draining out the most fluids. The piston that drains the most will most likely be your problem piston. Keep soaking more seafoam into that bad piston. Let it sit overnight, then you can either turn the engine over by bumping the starter button without the plugs installed (If you install the plugs with the seafoam you could destroy your engine) and the pistons will quickly clear out the fluids, but this is pretty messy. Another way is to grab and air hoze nozzle and a rag and blow into each spark plug with a rag covering the hole to catch the fluids. Also if you havent replaced your PCV valve (very cheap), Throttle body cleaning, and do a top engine cleaning with either seafoam through the intake manifold or BG.

As far as the Rislone oil additive I wouldnt recommend you run that as because it is an oil thickener. Sure it may help seal up your pistons with thicker oil but your gummed up pistons will only get worst. If anything you want an addictive with a detergent.

Also dont be afraid to drive this car hard at times. Driving hard on the highway under load can help loosen up those rings. Goodluck hope this helps u out and others.

Last edited by ibidu1; 11-05-18 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-05-18, 02:09 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

I found a video on youtube that better explains how to pour, kinda like what this guy is doing but do not cranking the engine with the plugs installed like what he did.

Old 11-05-18, 04:26 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I'd look into LS460s burning oil and see if anything comes up. Same engine, and way more examples than GS460s. Personally, I've never heard of this motor being an oil burner. Start with the simple stuff, PCV valve maybe? Although I doubt its capable of causing that much oil burning