GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

11.8" Tesla Headunit upgrade with install video

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-18, 07:12 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by sush1a
Hmm, I wonder if the other end was hearing loud road noises when you were driving. What would you say is the feature that needs the most improvement comparing with original oem features?

thanks again!
I guess the top 6 on my list that needs improving. I'm also comparing this to my 2016 IS with Nav. Other than that, it fits my needs. I now have navigation and a backup cam. Plus a full version of all my apps.

I think better integration with the steering control for other media sources.
Needs independent volume for different sources.
Needs better night mode. Way too bright at night.
Maybe a better on-board amp. Probably will be better once I hook up my new amp.
Boot time is slow. ~30 second. My IS boots up in ~15.
Needs to integrate with factory mic but it could be the same issue as using the factory back up cam.

Originally Posted by PewieM
MX73 Thanks for sharing your experience. Question, is there an auto-dim feature like for night time driving mode like how the OEM dash is? Or does the dash stay the same and the brightness just lowers down a bit like a phone?
Auto dimming is there but it's not noticeable, not as a phone.
Old 11-08-18, 07:15 PM
MX73
Racer

Can you enter addresses while car in in motion?

thanks again
I forgot to answer this part. Depends on the app. Google map will allow you to enter an address while the car is in motion. Waze may ask you if you are a passenger.
Old 11-08-18, 07:58 PM
sush1a
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you. I’ll pull the trigger on replacing the aged 2007 navi. Hopefully the call quality is near oem.
Old 11-08-18, 08:44 PM
PewieM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MX73
Needs to integrate with factory mic but it could be the same issue as using the factory back up cam.
Does it give you an option to route an external mic instead of using the mic on the hole of the dash?
Old 11-09-18, 05:59 AM
MX73
Racer

Does it give you an option to route an external mic instead of using the mic on the hole of the dash?
You probably could if you're handy with a soldering iron. A lot of the fixes that I encounter came from the Dodge Ram forum that cover the Tesla unit. That's where I found a fix for the backup cam trigger. The external mic hack involves taking the face plate off and soldering an external mic in place of the internal mic. I was not going to do that on something I just bought.
Old 11-09-18, 06:39 AM
MX73
Racer

So a week in review. I'm pretty happy overall. The build quality is average, mainly the bezel, which I will explain. The tablet itself is good. No flex in the screen and resolution is good. I don't have anything to compare with. Maybe if someone has the 10.2" metal trim unit and took a few pictures of the unit, it would help.

The bezel near the top is a little flimsy. There are no tabs on the top of the unit. On my install, the top of the unit won't sit flush with the vents but it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. If you are going to re-position or take the unit out, grab it by the side NOT from the top.

I don't know if it's my car or maybe this gen GS. Initially, I did have one hell of a time to get the unit to sit flush. I found out that my bracket and the support inside the dash do not line up, even with the factory headunit. My solution. I didn't secure the left side to the dash support. Just the right side. If I did secure the left side, it'll shift the unit up and it would not sit flush. Maybe it is my car. I'll get some pictures to show what I'm talking about.

Long boot up time. It's about ~25-30 secs long. About 10-15 sec longer than my nav unit in the IS. Backup cam works instantly after car starts.

I haven't notice a major lag with the user interface. Apps like Google maps, or if you're going to download pandora, spotify, etc, will load slow. After that, it's normal speed. On screen buttons are small. I often press the wrong button while driving. I think the IS version of the Tesla unit have larger on-screen buttons. Look forward to my video tomorrow. I'll go over the features and layout.
Old 11-09-18, 11:07 AM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

i got this back up camera ...now im waiting for this unit to come .....how long did you wait

Old 11-09-18, 11:12 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

I know there is also a guide to use the OEM camera.
Old 11-09-18, 11:16 AM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by verly6565
i got this back up camera ...now im waiting for this unit to come .....how long did you wait

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M85mmrxkIA
I waited for a month. Pretty much they test and configure the unit before shipping .
Old 11-09-18, 07:16 PM
sush1a
Driver

Are the side buttons (not on tablet screen) functional or are they just for looks?
Old 11-09-18, 07:26 PM
MX73
Racer

Are the side buttons (not on tablet screen) functional or are they just for looks?
They are functional.
Old 11-09-18, 07:50 PM
sush1a
Driver

MX73, thanks again for the quick replies. I noticed you mention the gps has a short wire. Is that required or Is there a way to plug in the original gps wire?
Old 11-09-18, 08:42 PM
MX73
Racer

MX73, thanks again for the quick replies. I noticed you mention the gps has a short wire. Is that required or Is there a way to plug in the original gps wire?
I don't think so. The new unit uses a SMA male twist connection. I don't think you can adapt the connector to the factory GPS harness.

The included GPS antenna wire is short. I try to route the antenna to the roof but it didn't make it. I guess they wanted you to put the antenna on the dash. You can always order another GPS antenna with a much longer wire.
Old 11-09-18, 09:57 PM
PewieM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MX73
That's where I found a fix for the backup cam trigger.
What did you mean by fix for backup cam trigger? Thought everything was plug and play?
Old 11-09-18, 10:14 PM
MX73
Racer

What did you mean by fix for backup cam trigger? Thought everything was plug and play?
Maybe fix was the wrong word. Selecting the correct wire to trigger the backup camera is where I'm getting at.

It is plug and play except for all the trigger wires like the cam and remote amp turn on leads. The harness label really suck.

There are two trigger wires for the camera. One is label "back" and one is label "cam." Back is what you want to use for the backup camera. You will need to solder or tap the headunit's "back" wire into the camera's positive lead wire.

Last edited by MX73; 11-09-18 at 10:21 PM.

Quick Reply: 11.8" Tesla Headunit upgrade with install video