GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

11.8" Tesla Headunit upgrade with install video

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-18, 07:22 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts
Default 11.8" Tesla Headunit upgrade with install video

Ok. I rather make a new thread than bury it in a thread.

****May not work on the 2010-2011 models. There is a fiber optical connection present on the factory HU for both non-ML and ML units.****

Bracket

Driver side bolt does not line up. Was like this with factory HU.

Driver side bolt does not line up. Was like this with factory HU.

Passenger side lines up.

TPMS module

Bottom rear of the unit. This is from the unit's main harness. Not the car.

You will use all connectors

You will use all connectors

CAN bus module. Came with new HU. One end is a 20-22pin connector, the other end is a 16pin connector. Both connectors are on the telsa HU main harness.

AUX cable.

Backup Camera trigger wire. The red wire is from the aftermarket cam. Connect the red wire to the brown wire labeled BACK. You will find the brown wire on the video harness.

Backup cam video feed. Plug into input label Camera.

Video Input harness

RCA Output for external amp

Top view

Rear, I had to take out the GPS cable to get a good shot. The middle gold connector is the GPS input

I left all the inputs hanging out below the unit so I don't have to take it out again.

Backup Camera installed. Factory location.
NATIKA flush mount backup camera NATIKA flush mount backup camera

You will use all the connectors on the provided harness. Meaning that there are no connectors left out. Everything will plug in.

I mention that the black connectors go to the bottom connector on the aftermarket unit. It does not. The Black connector goes back into the TPMS module. It does not plug into the back of the unit.

I didn't show a picture of the Can-Bus module. That plugs into a 20-22pin connector on the aftermarket harness into a 16 pin, 1 wire connector also on the aftermarket harness. This will control the bottom rows of physical buttons.

I took a gamble on the backup cam and lost. Correct wiring: Connect the trigger wire to the brown wire label "BACK" and connect the video into a wire label "CAMERA".

Last edited by MX73; 11-22-18 at 06:11 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by MX73:
grdsman (11-20-18), GS450hCA (07-06-19), LexNYC83 (03-25-19), Propulsion (11-04-18), tiguy99 (11-11-18)
Old 11-04-18, 07:23 AM
MX73
Racer

Overview Video

USB Audio works! I had to use a flash smaller than 64GB. My 32GB drive works fine. Depending on how many songs/folders, it may take some time for the system to index.

Aftermarket Camera Wiring, Trunk side.

*****Update 12/1/2018*****
OBD II Connection

Ok, so I contacted the vendor and they said it should connect but the plug on the Tesla harness and the plug on the OBDII scanner are not the same. What I pretty much did was cut the connectors off both ends and solder the wires on. Pretty each. Both wires are colored. Green/black will connect to the green/black wire on the harness, green will connect to green.

What I gained from this is RPM and speed readings on the main home screen and moving trajectory lines (if you have the HU guidelines enabled.)

OBD2 scanner

Top is the connector from the Tesla/Android harness. Bottom is the connector from the OBD2 scanner

Left - Tesla/Android Harness Right - OBD2 scanner

Last edited by MX73; 12-01-18 at 11:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Champstar (11-10-18)
Old 11-04-18, 10:54 AM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

is there a volume controll...and can you give link were you ordered from
Old 11-04-18, 11:38 AM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by verly6565
is there a volume controll...and can you give link were you ordered from
Not a physical volume control. It's will be on screen regardless of what screen you're on. The on-screen volume is on the bottom right of the screen.

Tesla unit on eBay - Seller I purchased from. Looks like they do business as Espony-cargo.com from the paper that was in the box.

Last edited by MX73; 11-05-18 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-04-18, 12:20 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the install video. Hopefully we’ll get a second video with all the features, quirks, likes and dislikes of the unit in the future. I’d also like to see how well the backup camera performs. It looks great btw.
Old 11-04-18, 03:30 PM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

best install video

nice video, its good that your not prepared it makes it more interesting for the average joe, ,doing it live is best for youtube watchers
The following users liked this post:
MX73 (11-04-18)
Old 11-04-18, 04:51 PM
MX73
Racer

I added the backup camera with pictures of the camera quality. I'll have to redo the overview shot since I got the backup cam to work after the shot.
Old 11-04-18, 09:24 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for adding the photos and keeping us updated. Trust me it’s much appreciated since some of us are somewhat ambivalent on purchasing one of these models. Looking forward to anymore details you can provide about your experience with this unit.

Quick question:

What’s the boot up time for this system after the car is started? Is it noticeably longer than usual?
Old 11-05-18, 10:22 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Do you have temperature numbers?
Old 11-05-18, 03:06 PM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by Propulsion
Thanks for adding the photos and keeping us updated. Trust me it’s much appreciated since some of us are somewhat ambivalent on purchasing one of these models. Looking forward to anymore details you can provide about your experience with this unit.

Quick question:

What’s the boot up time for this system after the car is started? Is it noticeably longer than usual?
It's long. About 30 seconds from vehicle start to the home screen. Backup cam works instantly.
Old 11-05-18, 03:08 PM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by gs350fan
Do you have temperature numbers?
Yes they do. In both Celsius and Fahrenheit as shown in the screenshot below.

Old 11-08-18, 10:23 AM
sush1a
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted a question on the other thread, should’ve posted here.

MX73, thanks for all the info. Got some questions on the unit. Is the voice quality the same as the oem unit or worst on a phone call, does it use the same oem microphone? Can you still use the steering wheel control to answer and end calls and change tracks and volume? Can you enter addresses while car in in motion?

thanks again
Old 11-08-18, 01:54 PM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by sush1a
I posted a question on the other thread, should’ve posted here.

MX73, thanks for all the info. Got some questions on the unit. Is the voice quality the same as the oem unit or worst on a phone call, does it use the same oem microphone? Can you still use the steering wheel control to answer and end calls and change tracks and volume? Can you enter addresses while car in in motion?

thanks again
The voice quality is decent but it depends on the condition. The day I installed the unit, the voice quality was choppy. Maybe because I was driving in a dead zone. The next day that I tried it, I was sitting in the parking lot, it was clear. No issues at all. The person on the other end could hear me. I didn't have to repeat myself. I did have to adjust the volume on the head unit since the call volume is low. Be careful here. The volume you set here will carry over to your source.

It does not use the OEM mic. There is a mic hole on the face of the screen.

Steering wheel control works for the most part. I can answer and hangup calls. I can tune into different presents on the radio and adjust the volume. What I could not do is change to a different track in Pandora, Amazon Music or Google Music. My work around is download the app to the head unit, fire the app up and change the tracks from there. A slight inconvenient since I have to look away from the road.
Old 11-08-18, 02:09 PM
sush1a
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, I wonder if the other end was hearing loud road noises when you were driving. What would you say is the feature that needs the most improvement comparing with original oem features?

thanks again!
Old 11-08-18, 06:04 PM
PewieM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MX73 Thanks for sharing your experience. Question, is there an auto-dim feature like for night time driving mode like how the OEM dash is? Or does the dash stay the same and the brightness just lowers down a bit like a phone?

Quick Reply: 11.8" Tesla Headunit upgrade with install video