GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

11.8" Tesla Headunit upgrade with install video

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-18, 07:02 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Ahhhhh. Amazon didn't deliver my new 4k action cam last night so I can move it around while I'm demoing the unit. I wish I had it during the install so we can have a more detail look at the wiring. I'm charging up my Nikon D7100 right now. It's a pain to move a DSLR around. I'm also waiting for the weather to warm up. It's 32 out right now.

Believe me on the wiring for this particular unit. It's plug and play. Depending on your setup, you may have to crimp/solder/tap 2 wires, the backup cam and/or remote amp turn on lead. If you're going to use the factory backup cam, follow this link, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10169888.

I'll pull the unit out one more time today to get a more detail shot of the wiring and to make some notes on the image.

Last edited by MX73; 11-10-18 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-10-18, 08:42 AM
MX73
Racer

Updated first thread with all the harness connectors and backup trigger wire.
Old 11-10-18, 11:04 AM
Champstar
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MX73 - Thanks for the detailed write up and video.
Question: With the boot times being about 30 seconds, do you have to wait that long to adjust the a/c?
I am also in Texas, and the summers are brutal as you may know. Seems like you must set the a/c before turning off the car, or face 30 secs of hell before you can adjust the a/c in the summer months.
Can you confirm this?
Old 11-10-18, 11:54 AM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by Champstar
MX73 - Thanks for the detailed write up and video.
Question: With the boot times being about 30 seconds, do you have to wait that long to adjust the a/c?
I am also in Texas, and the summers are brutal as you may know. Seems like you must set the a/c before turning off the car, or face 30 secs of hell before you can adjust the a/c in the summer months.
Can you confirm this?
If the AC was on previous before the car shuts off, the only thing you can do during boot is turn off the HVAC system. You can do this by using the physical buttons below the display. You can't adjust the temp or fan speed while it boots.
Old 11-10-18, 01:38 PM
PewieM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MX73
Ahhhhh. Amazon didn't deliver my new 4k action cam last night so I can move it around while I'm demoing the unit. I wish I had it during the install so we can have a more detail look at the wiring.
Does that mean you didn't like your NATIKA backup camera?

Originally Posted by MX73
Believe me on the wiring for this particular unit. It's plug and play. Depending on your setup, you may have to crimp/solder/tap 2 wires, the backup cam and/or remote amp turn on lead. If you're going to use the factory backup cam, follow this link, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10169888.
I was reading that link, and there's a part that says:

Reverse and Illumination Wires

Bonus (not related to camera):
Connect pin 12 (green) of K 46 plug to the illumination wire of the Headunit to dim the screen when you turn on the headlight.

Wonder if this would help dim your unit correctly since you mention before it didn't really dim that noticeable at night time.
Old 11-10-18, 02:16 PM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by PewieM
Does that mean you didn't like your NATIKA backup camera?
Not related to the backup camera. I didn't want to use my DSLR to film the overview. I rather have something much more portable to capture the install and overview video.

I was reading that link, and there's a part that says:

Reverse and Illumination Wires

Bonus (not related to camera):
Connect pin 12 (green) of K 46 plug to the illumination wire of the Headunit to dim the screen when you turn on the headlight.

Wonder if this would help dim your unit correctly since you mention before it didn't really dim that noticeable at night time.
It possibly could. I already yank the unit out too many time. I'm not going to do it for the 6th time.

Last edited by MX73; 11-10-18 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-10-18, 04:40 PM
MX73
Racer

Overview Video in 2nd post.
Old 11-10-18, 08:03 PM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

nice video ...which wire in the back lights did you use for camera
Old 11-10-18, 09:28 PM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by verly6565
nice video ...which wire in the back lights did you use for camera
If I remember correctly, I tapped the positive lead to the green/black wire on the backup light harness. I grounded the camera to a bolt on the trunk lid. I'll get a picture of that tomorrow since it's easy to see without taking the trunk liner off.
Old 11-11-18, 03:00 AM
richsoule
9th Gear

Nice pics bro, good for you, the only thing is these android stuff has many option which is not suitable during driving, OEM is the best I guess
Old 11-11-18, 07:13 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Two words... Thank you
Old 11-11-18, 07:33 AM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

im thinking of ordering a screen protector for mine

The following users liked this post:
Hambone63 (01-16-21)
Old 11-11-18, 05:51 PM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by richsoule
Nice pics bro, good for you, the only thing is these android stuff has many option which is not suitable during driving, OEM is the best I guess
I agree. It is pretty distracting. I'll make a video, someday, on the Android Mirrorlink. It's simplified but it's not much better.

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Two words... Thank you
You're welcome. I think we are still waiting for someone to post up the older unit?

Originally Posted by verly6565
im thinking of ordering a screen protector for mine

I was thinking about it as well. Maybe get a matte finished instead of a glossy screen protector.
Old 11-13-18, 05:39 PM
PewieM
Driver School Candidate

Hey MX73, I ended up buying from the ebay link you posted after your review.

Question, from that ebay link, it shows like a darker dash color for like black interiors, but my car interior is like yours (brown/tan). Did they end up sending you a dash color that matches yours and not that dark color one as posted on ebay?

Also, you mention it takes about a month to deliver, but how long did it take for them to actually send you tracking info? Last info I got from them was that they are going to test the unit before shipping and was wondering how long after that did you receive updates?
Old 11-13-18, 06:33 PM
MX73
Racer

Hey MX73, I ended up buying from the ebay link you posted after your review.

Question, from that ebay link, it shows like a darker dash color for like black interiors, but my car interior is like yours (brown/tan). Did they end up sending you a dash color that matches yours and not that dark color one as posted on ebay?
It's in-between. It's not as dark as the black interior and it's not as light as the tan/brown interior.

Also, you mention it takes about a month to deliver, but how long did it take for them to actually send you tracking info? Last info I got from them was that they are going to test the unit before shipping and was wondering how long after that did you receive updates?
I ordered on September 25 and received the tracking number on Oct 31. Express shipping. I got the unit on Nov 2. I emailed them a couple of times during the month for updates.

Quick Reply: 11.8" Tesla Headunit upgrade with install video