GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

11.8" Tesla Headunit upgrade with install video

Old 12-16-18, 04:51 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Wow so the Chinese vendors are actually deceiving customers by spoofing Android versions? How shocking not.
Old 12-16-18, 07:00 PM
grdsman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am really liking this HU more every day....especially since getting the audio straightened out and the backup camera hooked up. It works beautifully with the Mark Levinson audio system. Now for the longevity test.
Old 12-17-18, 02:04 AM
PewieM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grdsman
I am really liking this HU more every day....especially since getting the audio straightened out and the backup camera hooked up. It works beautifully with the Mark Levinson audio system. Now for the longevity test.
I like it too, but it sucks that it only has 2.4ghz wifi, since bluetooth is also on 2.4ghz spectrum and the signals seems like it's interfering each other to make the wifi slow when both are paired. Would prefer the unit to have 5ghz wifi capability, since my phone hotspot can tether on 5ghz too.

So for now, I'm waiting on my USB adapter to arrive. Trying to set up a 5ghz adapter on the unit and will do a side by side test using the same LTE hotspot from my phone, one on 2.4ghz and one on 5ghz. Hopefully this will help, since I have hotspot in the car for my kids too and tethering on 2.4ghz for everyone gets laggy.
Old 12-19-18, 06:59 AM
grdsman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anybody figure out how to get the elevation to show in feet rather than meters?
Old 04-04-19, 05:03 PM
Drizle15
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MX73
I waited for a month. Pretty much they test and configure the unit before shipping .
i bought my deck from Ali express on March 28 for 498 and it got here today fast turnaround
Old 04-05-19, 02:15 PM
eykash
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hazard and airbag issue

Hey guys. Did you face hazard always on and airbag light on issue after installation of this unit? Is there any solution?
Old 04-06-19, 04:35 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

I did not. I think someone did but I don't know what their solution is.
Old 04-26-19, 09:25 PM
Gargoyle
Driver School Candidate

Did anybody figure out the Hazard light and passenger airbag issue?? I fixed the hazard light problem, but my passenger airbag light is still on. I am positive its on the same plug as the hazard light. I clipped the pink wire on the left, and now the hazard lights work no problem with the button, but my passanger airbag light is still solid on my dash!! Curious to know if i clip the right pink wire and reconnect the left pink wire, will it be the opposite or will it fix both issues??? Also MX73, does your sound cut out when in reverse? Mine does it and its driving me crazy! Is there a way to turn that feature off so i can reverse into a parking spot and not have my sound from any source cut everytime. By the way I am using the stock back-up camera.

Last edited by Gargoyle; 04-26-19 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-10-19, 03:44 PM
eykash
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Airbag

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Did anybody figure out the Hazard light and passenger airbag issue?? I fixed the hazard light problem, but my passenger airbag light is still on. I am positive its on the same plug as the hazard light. I clipped the pink wire on the left, and now the hazard lights work no problem with the button, but my passanger airbag light is still solid on my dash!! Curious to know if i clip the right pink wire and reconnect the left pink wire, will it be the opposite or will it fix both issues??? Also MX73, does your sound cut out when in reverse? Mine does it and its driving me crazy! Is there a way to turn that feature off so i can reverse into a parking spot and not have my sound from any source cut everytime. By the way I am using the stock back-up camera.
Did you manage to fix airbag light issue?
Old 05-12-19, 12:38 AM
Gargoyle
Driver School Candidate

I haven't. And it is driving me nuts having that light on the dash! Have you figured anything out? I'm also curious if anyone has the same problem with the audio muting when in reverse? Is there a way to turn that off?
Old 05-17-19, 05:06 PM
PuyallupGS
Driver School Candidate

I might as well chime in here. I have an 07 GS350 AWD with ML and Nav. Purchased the 11.8" Tesla style unit from Rhino Radios back in February. I followed the tutorials found in this forum to install it and it just wouldn't work correctly. After emailing back and forth with Rhino Radios for literally months, I just got done installing the replacement head unit they sent due to several issues...namely the AC, OFF and HAZARD buttons on the bottom wouldn't work. The airbag and "!" warning lights were lit on the dash. Rear speakers wouldn't work.

I was informed by Rhino Radios that "the engineers" said it was a connector ribbon inside the unit had burnt out. Ok, fine. Over a month later, I finally get the replacement and what da ya know? Same friggin issues. Although now, the AC and OFF buttons actually turn the hazards on...but the HAZARD button still does nothing. The time keeps resetting itself back one hour upon startup (with or without DST on, and with or without automatic date/time on). The touch tone "beep" comes and goes at will. Oh...and now the radio won't come on...it's bluetooth or nothing.

I'm not happy at all with the product or the amazingly slow customer service from Rhino Radios. And what makes me even more pissed is that I went through the hassle of running wires and hooking up an aftermarket backup camera and now I'm ready to send this piece of crap back.
Old 05-17-19, 08:26 PM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

i wonder if the phoenix android radios are better

Last edited by verly6565; 05-17-19 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-18-19, 03:52 AM
PuyallupGS
Driver School Candidate

They're identical.
Old 06-28-19, 07:45 PM
lukesturr
Driver School Candidate

Have any of y'all tried using one of these
CarPlay/Android Auto USB adapters CarPlay/Android Auto USB adapters
for Android
headunits?

It looks like you download the autokit.apk file on your computer and install it to the headunit using a USB drive, plug the adapter into the USB port on your headunit, plug your iPhone/Android into the adapter, and open the autokit app. I'm curious how it would display on the 11.8" screen and if it works I might invest in one of these "Tesla" headunits for my GS.

Last edited by lukesturr; 06-28-19 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-28-19, 08:07 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by lukesturr
Have any of y'all tried using one of these CarPlay/Android Auto USB adapters for Android
headunits?

It looks like you download the autokit.apk file on your computer and install it to the headunit using a USB drive, plug the adapter into the USB port on your headunit, plug your iPhone/Android into the adapter, and open the autokit app. I'm curious how it would display on the 11.8" screen and if it works I might invest in one of these "Tesla" headunits for my GS.
I have the adapter and I'm currently doing a video on it.

If you have a hotspot connected to the head unit, you can download the app directly to the unit.

-Android auto, very laggy when using any maps app AND streaming music at the same time. Does not fit full screen.

-Apple carplay with ios12. Works fine when not in full screen. Lags and crashes a lot when in full screen mode.

-Apple carplay with ios13 beta. Works fine when not in full screen. Ok in full screen with lags here and there. Most stream services are not compatible with ios13 yet.

Last edited by MX73; 06-28-19 at 08:10 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 11.8" Tesla Headunit upgrade with install video