GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

No start immobiliser error. Key won't work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-18, 01:01 PM
potatomon
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default No start immobiliser error. Key won't work.

was working fine last night now wont crank. I'm getting a b2799 engine immobiliser.. something about a bad ecm or its wiring and something about a steering lock ecu(what the hell? how many ecus this car have?) but I just started it this morning, went and parked it, all I did was added some oil and pulled out the cat heatshield..I'm gonna make sure I didn't break any wires when I did that but no wires were in the area. Also it won't respond to key lock/unlock function, trunk open, panic.... the power steering was acting strange last night. When I turned the wheel to full lock, it would violently snap back a turn or so....I know it sounds ridiculous but that's what it did. and now it won't respond to key..

Now this car's been getting worked on for a while and been getting jumpstarted left and right.. I wouldn't be surprised if an ecu fried or something...

And so begins my journey as an electrician...

oh, I did put a bunch of dielectric grease on my rack and pinion connections and the error im getting says something about steering lock ecu+ my steering wheel won't lock now.. I will clean that crap up and see what happens. I just find it odd that I didn't have problems after initially applying the grease, and it doesn't explain why my key won't work...

Last edited by potatomon; 10-19-18 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-19-18, 02:34 PM
tghw
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

How old is the car battery and the fob battery? Have you replaced either one recently? It's sounds like the car's battery may be going bad. You mentioned needing to jump start it repeatedly. It could also be a bad alternator.
Old 10-19-18, 03:51 PM
potatomon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tghw
How old is the car battery and the fob battery? Have you replaced either one recently? It's sounds like the car's battery may be going bad. You mentioned needing to jump start it repeatedly. It could also be a bad alternator.
New battery, new fob battery. It's not the alternator, there is no cranking and I got this engine immobiliser error.. Everything was perfect yesterday and now many things stopped working randomly. Fob wont work, door lock button won't work unless ignition turned on, front lights also for some reason wont turn on without ignition being on, and same goes for some of the interior lights... ALso the steering wheel lock stopped working.

All i did between the time it was good and the time it was broken was add some oil and pull out a rusty cat heat shield. It was touching the front driveshaft and making some scary noises so I had to pull it out.. It's almost like a big chunk of the electrical system quit and the immobiliser as well as the whole smartkey function is part of it... or something is wrong with one of the 238745928375973 ECUs in this car..which of course you need special tools and software to change, if not going to the dealership..

Hope I can figure this out with a test light or something, I believe the B2799 is preventing the engine from cranking because it was never present before and I scan this car all the time.

Old 10-19-18, 06:56 PM
potatomon
Pole Position

After pulling and reinstalling all the fuses everything fixed itself
Old 11-14-23, 12:56 PM
CalafiaChips
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by potatomon
After pulling and reinstalling all the fuses everything fixed itself
how ? I have a similar issue
Old 11-14-23, 11:17 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by CalafiaChips
how ? I have a similar issue

When you press the start button is anything happening? Is the starter motor turning? Are the radiator fans turned on when you press the button?
Old 11-14-23, 11:22 PM
CalafiaChips
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ibidu1
When you press the start button is anything happening? Is the starter motor turning? Are the radiator fans turned on when you press the button?
the tach and speedometer needles sweep. I’m about to try the 4/13 pin thingy because I have t done it correctly yet but ended up killing the battery the other tries where I did it wrong. But no. No sounds or nothing. It’s acting like it was when my steering lock actuator was unplugged (attempted theft) or like when the fusible link block wasn’t grounded but now it’s immobilized. I think because the battery died while in acc and then I tried putting a different battery in, because that’s all I had did to it to make it stop working. B2799. Any help would be appreciated so much lol. I’m stuck driving a 03 trailblazer that was meant to be a project
Old 11-15-23, 12:28 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

the tach and speedometer needles sweep. I’m about to try the 4/13 pin thingy because I have t done it correctly yet but ended up killing the battery the other tries where I did it wrong. But no. No sounds or nothing. It’s acting like it was when my steering lock actuator was unplugged (attempted theft) or like when the fusible link block wasn’t grounded but now it’s immobilized. I think because the battery died while in acc and then I tried putting a different battery in, because that’s all I had did to it to make it stop working. B2799. Any help would be appreciated so much lol. I’m stuck driving a 03 trailblazer that was meant to be a project
A common issue with all 3GS 300 and 350, is the fuel pressure sensors, thats mounted on the fuel rail. When this sensor shorts out, it shorts the 5 volt reference on the ecu. So when you try to start the car, and push the power button the starter motor will not crank the engine over. But commonly the radiator fans kick on! But I would def check the power voltage first, make sure the battery is charged. If the sensor is bad, go with oem and not china knock off. The dealer will tell you to replace the whole rail. But theres part numbers online just for the actual sensor.

If your starter kicks on more likely its not the fuel sensor. You can try to disconnect the battery for awhile and that may or may not reset the ecu.
Old 11-15-23, 12:42 AM
CalafiaChips
10th Gear

A common issue with all 3GS 300 and 350, is the fuel pressure sensors, thats mounted on the fuel rail. When this sensor shorts out, it shorts the 5 volt reference on the ecu. So when you try to start the car, and push the power button the starter motor will not crank the engine over. But commonly the radiator fans kick on! But I would def check the power voltage first, make sure the battery is charged. If the sensor is bad, go with oem and not china knock off. The dealer will tell you to replace the whole rail. But theres part numbers online just for the actual sensor.

If your starter kicks on more likely its not the fuel sensor. You can try to disconnect the battery for awhile and that may or may not reset the ecu.
what about doing the pin out on the OBD port with the fourth and 13 pin
Old 11-15-23, 01:50 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

what about doing the pin out on the OBD port with the fourth and 13 pin
I would stick to the basics, if the starter isnt getting triggered then see if its getting signal power on the starter itself. But like I mention charge the battery, if theres no crank but radiator fans kick on. Then its that fuel sensor. If they do not kick on test the starter with a test light. Make sure its getting proper power
Old 11-16-23, 05:41 PM
CalafiaChips
10th Gear

I would stick to the basics, if the starter isnt getting triggered then see if its getting signal power on the starter itself. But like I mention charge the battery, if theres no crank but radiator fans kick on. Then its that fuel sensor. If they do not kick on test the starter with a test light. Make sure its getting proper power
No, the fan doesn’t click on, and the obd pin thing didn’t make any difference. I appreciate your help and Since I have someone who knows attention, let me back up.

The car was in ACC a bit too long as I was charging flashlight and the battery went low. When I tried to start, I heard that slow sound when the battery is too low to start car.

I had another battery handy, so I figured I’d give it a try to see if it would work. While removing the OG battery, I accidentally let the weigh rest on the fuse box by the battery, and thought I heard something like glass breaking. Not sure if that sounds like anything specific or maybe it was just the link block. (Which I have since replaced)

When I tried to start I found that the battery was dead, and later attempts to jump start OG battery back in car failed.

Okay so the 120 amp fuse for battery had fried, I replaced it, and the OG battery was no good, even tho it was 2 months old.

That’s basically where I’m at now. Thanks for any suggestions ans help.
Old 11-17-23, 02:39 PM
CalafiaChips
10th Gear

ooh yeah and 1 more thing is my code reader says b2799 for the immobilizer.
Old 11-17-23, 06:59 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

ooh yeah and 1 more thing is my code reader says b2799 for the immobilizer.
On your key fob, are you getting a red led? On the engine start button are you getting green led? Try this, grab the key fob and press the ignition start with the key fob making sure its pressed against it. See if the car starts!

Have you tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it?