GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

brakes question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-12, 08:54 PM
gotjohno
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes question

I have a 08 GS 350 and I'm about to do a full brake job new rotors, pads, stainless steel braided brake lines, and brake fluid flush and change.
Now my question is can I use the ate super blue brake fluid?
Old 07-12-12, 10:35 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, but if you've not yet bought it, just use the Motul DOT 5.1 - it's cheaper and the specs are near as identical as makes no odds.
You'll see no real tangible benefit from using either RBF600 or ATE Super Blue.

Don't get suckered by marketing and all the high numbers - bar the race track on track days, you ain't ever going to put the brakes through enough duress to worry about the wet or dry boiling point of the brake fluid.
I doubt your braided hoses are necessary either - I did it on the Accord (TSX), waste of $80 plus fitting in all reality, but I was blinded by the need to do be the first to do it among the forum members.
Now I've had 3-4 years of usage, I can honestly say the original rubber hose probably never bulged once or (often) enough to warrant switching to a race-designed solution to a problem that road users rarely ever experience.
Old 07-13-12, 01:30 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This link gives reason as to why and everything. Check it out http://www.bestcovery.com/best-brake-fluid

Originally Posted by Boron
Yes, but if you've not yet bought it, just use the Motul DOT 5.1 - it's cheaper and the specs are near as identical as makes no odds.
You'll see no real tangible benefit from using either RBF600 or ATE Super Blue.

Don't get suckered by marketing and all the high numbers - bar the race track on track days, you ain't ever going to put the brakes through enough duress to worry about the wet or dry boiling point of the brake fluid.
I doubt your braided hoses are necessary either - I did it on the Accord (TSX), waste of $80 plus fitting in all reality, but I was blinded by the need to do be the first to do it among the forum members.
Now I've had 3-4 years of usage, I can honestly say the original rubber hose probably never bulged once or (often) enough to warrant switching to a race-designed solution to a problem that road users rarely ever experience.
Boron original bottle of OEM toyota brake fluid is about $8 a bottle. I bought for $6 a bottle at toyota if I remember correctly. Why not use the best if its comes out to same price? You can have Ate Super Blue for like $23 shipped on ebay? Its like saying don't buy more expensive/better traction tires because its a daily driver, What if its an emergency and regular tires can't handle a swirl, you get into the accident? I always try to get the best especially if its easily affordable. On top of that its blue in color which will make the process that much easier.

Last edited by GS350Lexus; 07-13-12 at 01:38 AM.
Old 07-13-12, 04:51 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Tyres are very different from brake fluid, trust me!
If you wish to squander money, then go right ahead - but do so in the knowledge that you're highly likely to be experiencing a placebo effect, at best.
Brake fluid, in the grand scheme of the braking system, is only a minor player - tyre (with all its variables), brake pad, and disc type/quality will ALL be more important than $8 or $23 a bottle brake fluid.

If throwing money at a non-existent problem makes you sleep better at night, and buys you peace of mind every time you step into the car, then it's money well spent.
But......if I put you in the same car without the expensive fluid, you'd be none the wiser, only your perception would change. That's the placebo effect making its appearance.

Time enough to worry about ATE's brake fluid when you're at a trackday event or throwing a much more nimble machine through the twisty sections up in the mountains, early each Sunday morning - just remember to bolt on your R888s first!
Old 07-13-12, 06:56 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Have you considered the insane weather that we've been getting lately? I'm sure that has to factor in SOME people's spongey brakes (luckily I don't have it, even though i'm due for a brake fluid flush).
Old 07-13-12, 03:36 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Spongy pedal feel isn't a symptom after rainfall, no matter how prolonged.
If it was, don't you think the brake fluid and lines would be quite different in models exported to countries where such weather is the norm rather than the exception.
I'm sure, as much as I can be, that both the fluid and the lines in cars there, is identical or as near as makes no odds, to what is in ours.

Bottom line, the use of ATE isn't going to hurt anyone, only leave the OP a few bucks lighter in the pocket for the privilege.
I'm merely pointing out choosing to do so is a frivolous exercise, given the other compromises in the braking system, but if fancy blue fluid floats his boat, then at least he'll be happy.
Old 07-13-12, 04:09 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ate $23 per 1 bottle thats 1 liter people say good enough for 2 brake flushes. Oem Toyota brake fluid 8$ per bottle requires 3 for brake flush. My point here is its cheaper and better.
Old 07-13-12, 09:59 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Boron
Spongy pedal feel isn't a symptom after rainfall, no matter how prolonged.
If it was, don't you think the brake fluid and lines would be quite different in models exported to countries where such weather is the norm rather than the exception.
I'm sure, as much as I can be, that both the fluid and the lines in cars there, is identical or as near as makes no odds, to what is in ours.

Bottom line, the use of ATE isn't going to hurt anyone, only leave the OP a few bucks lighter in the pocket for the privilege.
I'm merely pointing out choosing to do so is a frivolous exercise, given the other compromises in the braking system, but if fancy blue fluid floats his boat, then at least he'll be happy.
I forgot you're not in the US (or are you?) I'm referring to the recent 100F+ weather on the road. It got so hot today, that in certain states, a few people's flip flops and shoes (YES, their footwear) melted on the pavement of the road....... That's quite a bit much IMO.

All in all, I don't use anything fancy besides Valvoline Synthetic brake fluid (it doesn't boil over at higher temps). It's been proven in a few of my and friends "race" cars to outperform conventional fluid .

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Ate $23 per 1 bottle thats 1 liter people say good enough for 2 brake flushes. Oem Toyota brake fluid 8$ per bottle requires 3 for brake flush. My point here is its cheaper and better.
That's a damn good price! LOL I sort of do the same thing with performance race oils like Redline, a FOR SURE 10k oil change interval vs my 5k Mobil 1 change interval. Pretty much the same price when comparing both, and you save an extra oil filter. Also there's much much much better additives and modifiers in the Redline Oil vs Mobil 1. Altogether, the only thing I look for when I look for brake fluids, is like the above, Boiling points, the higher the boiling point the better IMO.
Old 07-14-12, 07:46 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Maybe if you quoted the amount each bottle carries, that'd be helpful. I presumed your prices were equating like for like.
If the ATE is a buck less and does contain enough fluid for 2 uses, then you'd be daft not to go with it on that basis alone.
But on a performance only level, which is where I was coming from, it's properties are hardly likely to be seen on the road, so the regular fluid from Toyota/Lexus will be more than sufficient, or upgrading to Motul DOT 5.1.
Old 07-14-12, 07:49 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
I forgot you're not in the US (or are you?) I'm referring to the recent 100F+ weather on the road. It got so hot today, that in certain states, a few people's flip flops and shoes (YES, their footwear) melted on the pavement of the road....... That's quite a bit much IMO.

All in all, I don't use anything fancy besides Valvoline Synthetic brake fluid (it doesn't boil over at higher temps). It's been proven in a few of my and friends "race" cars to outperform conventional fluid .
No, UK.
Even at that elevated temperature, the brake fluid won't be struggling to work within its parameters.
The heat from the discs and calipers will still dissipate into the cooler air, which will be cooler than 100ºF whilst moving.