GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Goodbye Mark Levinson

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-10, 08:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Thats upsetting. I have the Mark Levinson system in my LS460 and its awesome. My wife noticed the second she first sat in the car when I brought it home
Old 11-22-10, 07:19 AM
Pavlov
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can those of you who don't like the ML explain what it is you think it's lacking? I'm more or less an audiophile and while it's not the best I've heard, I'm pleased except for the rattle in the right passenger side door (which is unrelated to the ML).
Old 11-22-10, 09:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

it's good compared to most setup out there. but considering ml in other lexus models, the one in 3gs is lacking. base is pretty weak, and the clarity is also not as good as other lexus models. my 2 cents
Old 11-22-10, 11:44 AM
AndyUK
Rookie

Similar thoughts. It's not bad for a car system, but the ML sounds a little harsh, bright. The bass goes quite deep but it's flabby and has no real control. There are dips in the lower-mid frequency response, so kick drums are subdued. The limited tone controls can't reclaim level ground. Uninvolving, I would say.

On the plus side, the mid-high detail is there, particularly at low-mid volumes.

At home I have a Luxman/Tannoy Gold setup which has probably spoilt me rotten.
Old 11-22-10, 02:45 PM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly how much better is the ML sound on the GS? I have a non ML 10 speaker "Lexus Premium Audio" and i think it sounds pretty good for a factory stereo, better then my 03' 4Runner's JBL 10 speaker audio setup. I been really out of the aftermarket audio stuff for years lol.
Old 11-23-10, 08:49 AM
Pavlov
Driver School Candidate

I agree about the bass. AndyUK put it in a way I would agree with. I prefer modest bass (I favor detail, which is probably why I am not as dissatisfied with the ML as others), but the bass isn't punchy in the right ways.

Having driven an IS 250 with non-ML extensively, though, I am certainly glad I have the ML in my GS. Couldn't tell you about the GS stock.
Old 03-02-17, 04:58 PM
Chialee
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a 2007 Gs 350 two weeks ago. I test drove one prior to that and immediately knew I wanted one. But unfortunately during my haste, I think forgot to check out such details. I can recall my first experience with the same exact year and model of the gs350 to be better than the car i purchased. I assumed maybe I was just super impressed initially because, well that was the first time. However I just knew something was not the same... And the Mark levinson is definitely one of the reasons. Sitting in that car the first time with that sound system was one of the main reasons I bought this car. Too bad, as you mentioned, my car doesn't have that official ML label.. and I just knew the listening experience isn't the same. sigh... sort of regret it now.. just for a thousand dollars more and I would've gotten the GS350 that I first fell in love with.

Oh well, that said i'm still a fan of the one I did buy, now I just gotta find ways to make it even better.. How much do you think having Lexus install an ML system would cost, or if that's even possible or should I just look at different after market products? Also any aftermarket mods you recommend?
Old 03-03-17, 01:31 AM
HaerdenC
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chialee
I just bought a 2007 Gs 350 two weeks ago. I test drove one prior to that and immediately knew I wanted one. But unfortunately during my haste, I think forgot to check out such details. I can recall my first experience with the same exact year and model of the gs350 to be better than the car i purchased. I assumed maybe I was just super impressed initially because, well that was the first time. However I just knew something was not the same... And the Mark levinson is definitely one of the reasons. Sitting in that car the first time with that sound system was one of the main reasons I bought this car. Too bad, as you mentioned, my car doesn't have that official ML label.. and I just knew the listening experience isn't the same. sigh... sort of regret it now.. just for a thousand dollars more and I would've gotten the GS350 that I first fell in love with.

Oh well, that said i'm still a fan of the one I did buy, now I just gotta find ways to make it even better.. How much do you think having Lexus install an ML system would cost, or if that's even possible or should I just look at different after market products? Also any aftermarket mods you recommend?
around a triljoen euro as the ml system requires a totally different cable loom so the entire interior needs to get out, everything needs to be rewired, other speakers, additional amp in the trunk, different door panels, etc etc ... so drive your car, look around for one with the ml, make sure yours looks mint, sell it, buy the one with the ml system