ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-3rd-gen-2006-2011-153/)
-   -   Goodbye Mark Levinson (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-3rd-gen-2006-2011/533889-goodbye-mark-levinson.html)

kenv 11-01-10 12:12 AM

Goodbye Mark Levinson

I was told by my dealer that 2011 is the last year for Mark Levinson in ALL lexus products. Is this true? Then he told me that all lexus products have Mark Levinson installed as standard stereo, but the premium ML are labeled on the dash. A little confusing...When I have driven a non ML vehicle I would bet a lunch that it looks, sounds, etc. like a JBL system. It appears that previous owners "enhance" the non ML sound by increasing base to +5. I have found this typical of the JBL Synthesis system on Toyota Products.
If ML is going bye, so am I. ML is one of the main reasons I starting buying Lexus products in the 90's. Currently own 08 GS 350 with ML and very happy with sound from all sources.

PLEASE ADVISE on future.

ek9vboi 11-01-10 01:10 AM

I'm not sure, but I do love my ML system. Even makes the cassette sound better. I believe the amp is completely different from the non-ML equipped cars.

IXI187IXI 11-01-10 03:15 AM

i havent heard anything and imo it wouldnt bother me if they did. i dont think the ML system in the GS is worth the money other than the dvd player, which in that case the ML system is just an over priced dvd player

Drift King 11-01-10 06:20 AM

The ML systems sounds good, but IMHO, the Elliot Scheiner ELS Surround Sound System in my MDX sounds better. I like the the tonality of the ELS system, the bass is tighter, and the imaging is better. Also, the ability to play DVD-DL disks filled with MP3's is a big plus in my book.

bigblack06 11-01-10 06:34 AM

damn if that is true I would like the lexus any more cause ML system drowns out those creaks really well. I don't think thats true, why would they give up such a great system.

rominl 11-01-10 09:06 AM

i haven't heard of anything either

but 2012 lfa will have ML option (we all know that for sure already)

LexFather 11-01-10 09:08 AM

Havent heard of it. If it is dropped it is b/c a next generation system is coming from someone else that should be better.

Car audio systems were crap until Lexus brought Nakamichi then ML. Now many other brands optional sound systems are pretty damn good.

smilepak 11-01-10 09:19 AM

They should go back to Nakamichi or try to contract B&O haah

GS350Lexus 11-01-10 10:07 PM

I personally compared my non ml to a ml system. Expect the dvd player, sound and quality wise its VERY IDENTICAL. The difference is so tiny that it doesn't even worth to have it. Also keep it mind its not a option that's selling good, because finding a GS350 awd with ML was impossible. There are few reason for them to actually stop offering that unless they are going to drop the non ml system dramatically where people would be like wow i need ML.

rominl 11-01-10 10:56 PM

actually on the 3gs the ml is the weakest setup among the lexus lineup. that's why i always say the ml in 3gs is disappointing (though i can still hear the difference). on other lexus, ml is quite noticeably better. even on the 2is the ml system is much better than normal premium audio

having the option or not, imho have a lot to do with economy. with the recent recession the past few years, i notice that lexus put a lot of items as options and then send cars over without those options to effectively lower the price of the car to make the more affordable

if you go to the ls460 and lx570 forum, then you see most people highly recommend the ml system

dunnojack 11-01-10 11:13 PM

i heard non-ml is pioneer for our cars.
or is that just the speakers?

Yang1815 11-02-10 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by smilepak (Post 5903691)
They should go back to Nakamichi or try to contract B&O haah

No kidding. Miss the Nakamichi in my 1RX.

jre002 11-02-10 05:10 PM

I can definitely tell the difference in sound between my ML and non-ML 3GSes. That having been said, if the new Lexuses don't have ML, I don't think it will make a difference. I'm sure that whatever they offer as a premium sound option will be good regardless of the name on the sytem.

kenv 11-20-10 06:48 PM

Update: Pioneer is the manufacture of the non ML system. I can not believe their is a owner who enjoys this system over ML. I have tested 10 different CD's from various genres. . I did a small test: 2 Lexus GS's (both 2008, 1 with ML and 1 without). The bass, mid., and treble set to zero. Volume can be adjusted to personal needs. 10 different songs from different genres. All of the test participants were NON Lexus owners. This is taking time, but it is obvious that ML is the winner except for Rap music.

passnu2 11-20-10 08:08 PM

I wish they kept the Nak system. I was very impressed with this in the first gen SC. I want impressed with the ML in the IS350 or my GS. I have heard much worse but to me its a step down from what they used to have. I hope the next gen has something better.