RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Looking for Mark Levinson reviews

Old 06-16-07, 06:51 PM
fw1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Mark Levinson reviews

I'm getting ready to buy a 2008 RX350 with levinson audio system, but became hesitant after reading negative reviews on the edmunds forum. One poster on edmunds specifically recommended against it. If anyone has compared the standard with the levinson systems, or have the levinson system, your input would be much appreciated.
Thanks ahead.
Old 06-16-07, 09:21 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I've compared the two and chose the ML in my 04. Yet much of the quality of sound is lost with the road noise and wind noise the RX has not squelched out. I needed the NAV option anyway so the ML was a bonus in my opinion. There are better audio sound systems but the ML is noticeably better than the standard system, IMO.
Old 06-17-07, 06:22 PM
DN328
Driver School Candidate

I demo'ed both the ML and the Standard and ended up getting the ML (in 08 RX350). To be honest, the ML did not sound as good as I had hoped, however, it sounded better than the Standard. IMO, the ML did sound fuller and caused less hearing fatigue when compared to the Standard (this was done at the same volume levels on the control - not sure if that equates to the same db, though). Either way, they got pretty loud.

I would say the best thing to do is go listen to the ML and Standard in an RX, and come up with your own conclusion. In the end, only you will be able to decide if the extra $$$ is worth it. I tend to keep my cars for a long time...so I said what da hell...since my wife liked it too...
Old 06-17-07, 07:17 PM
fw1
Rookie

Thank you jfelbab and dn328 for your input. I guess the best way is for me to listen to both systems and decide for myself. It seems that reviews are mixed on different forums that I've checked. Here's the offer that I'm working on.

Offer Price: $40,518 (excluding ttl)
Total MSRP: $44,786
- Base 2008 RX350 FWD: $37,400
- Destination Charge: $715
- Navi/Mark Levinson package: $6,190
- Towing Prep Package: $160
- Mudguards: $142
- Cargo tray: $110
- Wheel locks: $69

This is actually a special order because I didn't want to pay for the extra options (heated seats, 18" alloy wheels, rear dvd system) that are normally added to a levinson RX. According to the salesperson, target delivery date 4-6 weeks. This is an Atlanta dealership.

Keep the levinson reviews coming in....
Old 06-18-07, 04:26 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I went with standard. For 6 thousand bux, you should get a sound system that they feature on the "pimp my ride" tv show, not something that is a little bit better!
Old 06-18-07, 06:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

We had to make the same decision 2 months ago on a 08 RX. We listen to both setup. The standard radio was horrible, the ML is just ok. On the 08, the ML actually sounds better thean the older RX because the 08 has more sound insulation, but even with the quiter cabin, the ML is no more then just ok IMO.
In the end, we decided the ML was not worth the extra $2-3K, you can buy a pretty nice after market system for $2-3K. We ended up with just the nav. which was actually a easier car to find for the dealer and we didnt have to special order it, which will usually bring the price down as well.
Old 06-18-07, 10:36 AM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

When you do the comparison, dont just do it in parked vehicle. Take it out on the road and listen while driving.

Also the radio broadcast does not carry the full spectrum of audible sound. "CD" and not mp3 (compression) is the best source.

Salim
Old 06-18-07, 10:47 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

The NAVI is tied with the ML is not nice. The ML must be a stand alone option. Get the NAVI and get aftermarket sound system.
Old 06-18-07, 10:48 AM
bnmintx
Driver School Candidate

Default re: ML System

I posted the following question about the DVD-Audio functionality of the ML system and received no responses.

I agree that the ML sounds better than the standard, but, for the money I would not recommend it (it was bundled with the rear seat entertainment system which I did not need).

If you plan to listen to DVD-Audio (hi-res, multi-channel), evaluate very closely to see is you see the issues I am seeing.

"I have a 2007 RX-350 with the ML sound system. When I play some DVD-Audio discs, there appears to be a channel missing. An example is on Steely Dan's Gaucho, the song "Hey Nineteen" has background vocals missing.

Has anyone else noticed this?"

Mike
Old 06-20-07, 02:13 PM
cpestinger
4th Gear

Default No SUB?!?!

I just sat in a 2008 Rx350 with the M.L. Audio/Dvd/Headphone/LCD/Blah Blah package yesterday while my 400h was in for its 5k service. Audio was not that great at all. I was expecting a HUGE difference. No, not so much. There is no added bass at all because there is no subwoofer in the package. Go to the dealer and try it out yourself. Get in a car that is on the lot, instead of *IN* the showroom so you can really turn it up and become dissapointed. No offense to those who have the system. The DVD player is sweet if you have the kids in the back and the remote is well designed and large enough not to get lost in the cabin.

c in kc

Last edited by cpestinger; 06-20-07 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-20-07, 02:43 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I listened to both, although the ML-equipped vehicle in the dealer's inventory was not one I would've purchased anyway. When I first started shopping I thought for sure ML would be a 'must-have'. This was mostly because my wife's ES has it and the system in her car sounds great.

My salesman mentioned that the ML is eq'd to boost upper-mids, while the standard Pioneer rig boosts lower-mids, making for better sound against road noise at speed. Honestly, I thought he might be giving me a little bit of snake oil, but to my ears his information was validated. I did like the ML, and I confess that having the ML name has an amount of cache that I would've liked. However, I didn't like the significant extra cost and for two other reasons: (1) I would've had to wait for a vehicle since no local dealers had one in the color I wanted with ML, and (2) I would've needed to special order since the region I'm in only gets them with the RSES...an option I didn't want/need anyway.

All that said, I have no real complaints with the standard system. In fact, it sounds SO much better than the Bose garbage I had in my last two vehicles...particularly at speed...that I'm still in a bit of a honeymoon phase. More evidence for the lower-mid eq boost: I've found the bass response so effective, even at speed, that it's actually a little boomy on full boost. I've dialed back the bass a notch and boosted the mids by the same and am really happy with the full frequency response and overall quality of the sound. (I'm also a bass player and am significantly more picky about my EQ with an instrument in my hands as opposed to a steering wheel.)

Not sure if that helps, but to reinforce the conclusion you've already reached: listen to them both before deciding. Good luck!