GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Power Steering Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-10, 06:19 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Power Steering Problem?

Just curious if anyone has had a similar problem or may be able to help me out. So a few weeks ago i noticed that sometimes when I start my car the power steering light (P/S) would come on. Not thinking anything of it, i would shut my car off and turn it back on and the light would go away and the power steering would work again. So last week while going to breakfast, the steering sounded funny. You know when you seem low on fluid and the steering wheel makes a creek noise when turning it. So fast forward to a couple days ago. Im driving to go pick up some stuff and my car starts to feel funny. If I turn my wheel slightly one way or the other, the wheel almost feels like its sticking in that direction and you have to straighten it back out. Kind of like when you have a flat tire and it feels like its pulling to one side, similar to that (i know its hard to explain). So with all this going on (mind you the P/S light has not come on for a few weeks now) i figured id check the power steering to see how it looks, come to find out theres no reservoir for the power steering. Im not really sure how to go out and check it. I browsed through the manual and theres no mention of power steering anywhere.

Has anyone had a similar type of steering problem or know how to check the power steering?
Old 10-11-10, 07:09 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, it's electric. I don't think there's anything you can really check yourself unfortunately that's as simple as looking for fluid.
Old 10-11-10, 08:48 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,

Didn't you get your car steering rack replaced for the recall that was announced 2 years ago????? There was a TSB that will replace the steering rack due to lost of power in many GS300 models. I had mines done in Jan of 2009 for this problem. It will be under warranty. Your dealership should be responsible for telling you this.
Old 10-11-10, 09:30 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Hi,

Didn't you get your car steering rack replaced for the recall that was announced 2 years ago????? There was a TSB that will replace the steering rack due to lost of power in many GS300 models. I had mines done in Jan of 2009 for this problem. It will be under warranty. Your dealership should be responsible for telling you this.
yes that was done
Old 10-11-10, 10:24 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
yes that was done
Hmm. Then I assume that it has failed. I had a failure before I had the steering rack replacement and had the exact symptoms you are feeling now. I would get the car to the dealer soon to prevent bigger failure or else it will be hard to control the car off the highway if you ever have a failure in the future.
Old 10-11-10, 10:42 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

eh its out of warranty too. god knows how much this is going to cost
Old 10-11-10, 11:26 AM
BinaryJay

eh its out of warranty too. god knows how much this is going to cost
I'm going to guess it'll be pushing 2 grand.
Old 10-14-10, 06:21 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

so is there anything that can be looked at or checked prior to me making an appointment at the dealer to have it looked at? Id never let the dealer replace it but the cost for them to find a source is much cheaper than having them replace whatever it could be.
Old 10-14-10, 06:25 AM
BinaryJay

Other than the obvious looking for iffy fuses and such I don't know. It may or may not be a plain part swap... but the dealership is likely to just jump to that conclusion and say that the whole rack needs replacing regardless.
Old 10-14-10, 06:30 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Other than the obvious looking for iffy fuses and such I don't know. It may or may not be a plain part swap... but the dealership is likely to just jump to that conclusion and say that the whole rack needs replacing regardless.
of course and they will blame it on my car being lowered too.
Old 10-14-10, 05:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

So they wont do a TSB on a car after the warranty?? That sucks. I would ask just incase because in this situation its a safety issue. We all know how Toyota is about safety issues after the cluster F%^k they are still recovering from. My wife's TL had a TSB on the engine mounts and they fixed it for us after her factory warranty was over. They may have done that as a favor to us. Good luck buddy
Old 10-15-10, 04:22 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
So they wont do a TSB on a car after the warranty?? That sucks. I would ask just incase because in this situation its a safety issue. We all know how Toyota is about safety issues after the cluster F%^k they are still recovering from. My wife's TL had a TSB on the engine mounts and they fixed it for us after her factory warranty was over. They may have done that as a favor to us. Good luck buddy
i already had it done like a year ago when it first came out.
Old 10-15-10, 04:37 AM
BinaryJay

i already had it done like a year ago when it first came out.
If it was less than or close to a year ago you may want to try making a case about it since I believe there should be a 1 year warranty for the work that was done. Odd that you've got no warning lights even though something is obviously wrong.

Of course, it could have nothing to do with the power steering and it may just be that you broke a linkage of some sort. When you say you turned the car on and got the power steering light, you should have also gotten that orange exclamation point as well as the message on the cluster display that says "check system" no?

Last edited by BinaryJay; 10-15-10 at 04:45 AM.
Old 10-15-10, 04:52 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
If it was less than or close to a year ago you may want to try making a case about it since I believe there should be a 1 year warranty for the work that was done. Odd that you've got no warning lights even though something is obviously wrong.

Of course, it could have nothing to do with the power steering and it may just be that you broke a linkage of some sort. When you say you turned the car on and got the power steering light, you should have also gotten that orange exclamation point as well as the message on the cluster display that says "check system" no?
yea it could be something different, i dunno. i'll dig through the paper work today and see when i got the tsb done. i believe it was last summer.

no nothing. jus the red P/S light then when i turned the car off and back on it was gone. Then about a week later i was getting a weird creek in the steering wheel when turning. I do have the low tire pressure light on though (because of my 20s) but the weird thing is that light has never been on because i never drive the car for more than 50 miles one way at a time so the system never checks. oddly enough when i turned the car on and that light came on, thats when the steering felt like it was sticking.
Old 10-15-10, 07:15 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Yes, if you had the TSB done and it is not done properly at anytime thereafter by the dealership, then you are entitled to go back and have them check it out and re-do it if necessary at no cost. A warranty TSB repair can be redone within 3 years after repair.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Problem?