GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Navigation and ECU problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-09, 05:29 PM
kulcsarj80
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Navigation and ECU problem

Hi

I have a 2007 Lexus gs450h.I disconnected the battery,and after i reconnected it,my navigation didnt work.I went to the Lexus Dealership,and they told me,i need to change the ECU unit to make it work.Its $4500+tax))Woow.
Do u have any idea what to do?Can i buy it cheaper somewhere,or can somebody repair it?

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-15-09, 05:32 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Doesnt your car still under warranty? I dont see why Lexus dealership would want to charge you if your navigation unit is still cover under the bumper to bumper warranty which is 4 years 50k.
Old 09-15-09, 08:41 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kulcsarj80
Hi

I have a 2007 Lexus gs450h.I disconnected the battery,and after i reconnected it,my navigation didnt work.I went to the Lexus Dealership,and they told me,i need to change the ECU unit to make it work.Its $4500+tax))Woow.
Do u have any idea what to do?Can i buy it cheaper somewhere,or can somebody repair it?

Thanks for your help.
Absolutely not acceptible, it's under warranty.
Old 09-15-09, 11:19 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

May be too many miles?
Old 09-16-09, 04:23 AM
kulcsarj80
Driver School Candidate

Yes.Its not under warranty.I've put 63000 miles in it already.
Old 09-16-09, 06:31 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you service you car at thus dealership regularly? If so, ask them to work with you. Hey *can* warranty it for you based on your relationship with the dealer. It's called 'goodwill'. If you have no service history, you are out of luck for any goodwill chance. I'd suggest looking for a used one.

Did they mention how in the world changing a battery could have caused this?

Good luck!
Old 09-16-09, 06:45 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

something has to be missing from the story. i dont see how disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it would cause this. did you disconnect it and accidently touch something with the terminal?
Old 09-16-09, 09:51 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Find someone with a working unit and as them to be the best buddy in the world and swap units... then bring it in. Unethical? Sort of, but DAMN that's an expensive fix. Hopefully when you or if you do it, your car doesn't short the new one out.
Old 09-16-09, 09:55 AM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
Find someone with a working unit and as them to be the best buddy in the world and swap units... then bring it in. Unethical? Sort of, but DAMN that's an expensive fix. Hopefully when you or if you do it, your car doesn't short the new one out.
Dangerous, IMHO. Putting a failed unit into a working vehicle, means the following: 1) that 100% for sure you know the problem is limited to that one component and there hasn't been a cascading problem that has impacted several pieces of gear and may now actually cause failures in the new vehicle, 2) You believe the dealer is right in their diagnosis, which as we all know, isn't the case 100% of the time (many try to sell unnecessary replacement because they don't actually WANT to diagnose because there's no money in it) and 3) I have heard, through the vine, that Lexus now has serial numbers tracked to VINs on major components in the vehicle to prevent just such an attempt (which is not to say you couldn't "explain it away," but it doesn't mean it would work and would NOT invalidate the "friend's" warranty as well...

I'm just sayen... better to look on eBay or try the goodwill approach. Changing a battery should not have this effect as most components have protections against this. Call corporate if that doesn't work. :-)
Old 09-16-09, 03:31 PM
kulcsarj80
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys for your reply.I tried the goodwill approach.It didnt worked.((I serviced my car in California,bc i used to live there.Just moved to New York.In this dealership,they dont know me.
I hope i will find some solution soon)))))

Many thanks for everybody.
Old 09-16-09, 04:20 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by kulcsarj80
Hi

Thanks for your help.
So, if I understand it right, its not the Navi unit that is bad, it's the ECU computer, right? If that is the case, do you know where in the car it is located and what it looks like? Those computers cost gazzilions new, but you can find them incredibly cheap at junk yards, they hardly ever go bad and not too many people are after them.
Old 09-16-09, 06:45 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by arnieosp
So, if I understand it right, its not the Navi unit that is bad, it's the ECU computer, right? If that is the case, do you know where in the car it is located and what it looks like? Those computers cost gazzilions new, but you can find them incredibly cheap at junk yards, they hardly ever go bad and not too many people are after them.
Gotta remember, those ECUs control everything... which means it might have to be reprogrammed to match the programs on the car.
Old 09-16-09, 08:16 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

.Its $4500+tax))Woow.

wtf??? this is not amg 65.. u should of stick that bill up his face.. the car is not even worth that much in this economy .. this is what u should do..go around the back of the service building and find one of tech guy and ask him if he can fix for cash in his pocket...i done this before but in my case, my adviser(drinkin buddy) introduced to his tech guy and he fixed my car for some cash...if not take it to toyota dealership let them look at it..
Old 09-16-09, 11:44 PM
Johnnyz4
Driver

maybe my situation will help?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...avigation.html
Old 09-16-09, 11:45 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by lims407
.Its $4500+tax))Woow.

.. the car is not even worth that much in this economy
Do you know of any place I can buy an '07 GS450h w/63K miles for $4500+tax? I want one! Or, better yet, make it two.

Quick Reply: Navigation and ECU problem