GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The Truth about Dark Colors (PLEASE??)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-08, 07:08 PM
mcukier
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Truth about Dark Colors (PLEASE??)

OK-

so I'm in love with the Black Sapphire GS, and this is what I've asked my dealer to track down for me. But... it's not too late for me to change colors...

I've been reading quite a few posts here about "beware, it's impossible to keep clean", about both Obsidian and Black Sapphire. I'm getting a little scared....

To be up front and honest, I'm not a clean car freak. A bit of dirt doesn't bother me that much... but like I said this is getting me freaked out. So what are we talking about here? Is the car going to be disgustingly filthy looking all the time, or are most of the people that say things like "I wish someone had told me how hard it is to keep clean before I bought this" the people that like their cars to be perfectly shiny all the time...?

I'd like some honest input here... I don't want to shell out nearly $50K on a car that disappoints me like that...

I'd love to hear from some dark color owners who say, "meh it's not that bad" -- IF THERE ARE ANY!!!???? :-)

Help, input PLEASE! And quickly, my time to change colors is running out!!!!!

Thanks,
mcukier
Old 04-28-08, 07:12 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Black does get dirty, but that's all part of owning a black car. I don't think you should be afraid of black since the trade-off is worth it. However, when there is dust on the car, it does stand out more prominently as opposed to another color.
Old 04-28-08, 07:19 PM
mcukier
Rookie

maybe that's part of what I'm worried about... I'm not a car washing fanatic, no way I'll be washing my car every week... I'm more like once every month...

so is my Black Sapphire Pearl (which is really a dark blue) going to be a mess after a week?

I've heard that the "Pearl" aspect makes it a bit more resistant to dirt showing up... and perhaps the blue is a bit better than the black...?

I LOOOVVEEE the color... but like I said I'm a touch unnerved now....

PS- this is my first new car purchase ever, so that could be adding to my hesitation.... I just don't want to have a filthy car for the next 4-5 years... :-)
Old 04-28-08, 07:28 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

don't worry. it's ok to be durrrty.

when you get enough dust on it, use your fingers and write "WASH ME" on the window.
you'll have that original gangster look.
Old 04-28-08, 07:28 PM
SiccMonkey
Driver

IMO nothing looks better than black when its taken care of.... but after owning 3 black cars in a row i got sick of dealing with it...and made the switch to Opaline Pearl
Old 04-28-08, 07:30 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

I think you will be alright, take a look at the color Smokey Grantie Metallic (SGM) that is the color that I have and it is perfect, it hides the dirt a little bit, and looks sexy when it is clean, go to your dealer and check it out.
Old 04-28-08, 07:34 PM
mcukier
Rookie

Well, "Black Sapphire Pearl" is actually BLUE.. but just a dark blue. I assume that will hide the dirt a bit better as well...?

Any thoughts on the Matador Red? Will that be any easier to keep clean...?

I know it won't be as sexy as the Sapphire though.... :-)

/SIGH I guess I'm just fooling myself, that combination of Sapphire and Cashmere is just too sexy to pass up... but I'd still love to hear more words of encouragement or discouragement if anyone has got 'em...

I'll check this thread again tomorrow morning at work and make my final decision. :-) :-)

Thanks all for your input!!!!
Old 04-28-08, 07:38 PM
jenadamson
Driver

I absolutely love mine. My old GS is the Spectra Mica blue which is a really bright blue so at first I was not too sure about the Black Sapphire before I saw it in person. But, it is really awesome (and blue is my favorite color, so the car had to be blue anyway). I had to order mine also to get the color and package combo I wanted.

BUT - if it rains and you drive in any area that's the least bit dirty, you will have dirt spots on your car. It's not that bad if you're not the psycho show quality paint type (which I'm thinking you're not). You can't see it from a distance. I do, however, hand wash it almost every week - except when it rains on the weekend. After a few times, it really isn't that bad - I can get it all done in about an hour. One of these days, I'm going to find a mobile detailer,... Oh - and if you have hard water like I do, you will need to squeegee it off and/or dry it or you will have water spots.

But the color is really neat - in the shade it looks black, and then the sun hits it and it's a really deep sparkly 'sapphire' blue - just like the name. I get compliments on it all the time. I love it every time I get in it and admire it again when I get back out.
Old 04-28-08, 07:46 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

OK Muck, here is the deal...I wrote earlier...here is my honest opinion. First, my background:

I am not a car detailer...I dont have enough time to spend waxing my car every weekend. That being said, I do like to keep my stuff nice.

This is my first really dark car. I am in Minnesota...and in the winter time it is tough. The dark color definitely shows the salt and grime.

Also, it does show scratches...including micro marring very easily.

Net net is that it is not trouble free. That being said...when it is clean it IS beautiful. Today, a driver of a Lexus IS was next to me on the freeway and could do nothing but stare at my car for a good 3 miles.

Would I choose this color again? With what I know now...it is still my favorite...the only other colors to consider IMO are starfire pearl (White) and Millenium Mercury (Silver). These definitely are less maintenance.
Old 04-28-08, 07:47 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black Sapphire is probably my favorite color for the GS/LS/IS and personally
I would get it even if it were a pain to keep clean.

I do like the Gray since I think it is a good trade off in terms of looks and
maintenance, but to me it is not as good as the dark colors when clean
Old 04-28-08, 07:47 PM
mcukier
Rookie

Thanks Jenadamson...

Just the post I wanted to read. I'm not the psycho type... and I fell in love with the color the first time I saw it..... it's GORGEOUS...

Like I said, it's my first new car EVER so I'm a touch nervous about getting jammed with a color that has me slapping my forehead...

but I couldn't bring myself to get silver... it's just too cliche. and I LOVE the cashmere interior... grey, not so much.

Does anyone have thoughts on Matador Red in terms of keeping it clean? That's my second choice color....
Old 04-28-08, 07:49 PM
mcukier
Rookie

Mel:

Good to read your post... so, what's the verdict. WOULD you get this color again....? :-)
Old 04-28-08, 08:00 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Yes I would choose again but it is not a slam dunk...here are my other thoughts...

Silver comes only with grey or black interior...the cashmere is more attractive IMO...but again shows dirt...tough as I have two kids. And I agree with you...silver seems a dime a dozen. The GS still does look sharp in this color.

White...I have had a white car and was amazed at how easy it was to keep clean. However, I never really looked at that car like I look at my Black Sapphire Pearl GS.

M red may be a tad easier but it might share some of the same issues...just to a lesser degree.

The final question for you is that it seems that you absolutely love the blue...will you kick yourself for not getting it?

If you do get it, just know that you will need to both let go a little...and expect to spend more time/money on upkeep to keep it looking sharp.

Hope this helps. Good luck. As I often suggest to new buyers of the GS...ask about all applicable TSB's before leaving the lot....so you are not surprised....also check this forum for them...this is a great support group.
Old 04-28-08, 08:25 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Mcuk...another tip is to look at the Auto Detailing Forum part of CLexus...some really great info on there for this issue...may scare you or make you think it is doable...whichever, it will be great info/input for you.

BTW...IMO the matador red is a third choice after the silver and white.

The opaline pearl is interesting...but tough to decide w/o seeing in person...these are so rare and the chance to see it at the dealer is zero.
Old 04-29-08, 06:42 AM
mcukier
Rookie

Well, I did some research and what not and I found out that there's a handwash place about 3 blocks from my house. They handwash and vacuum the interrior for $30... which is a great deal.

This seems to make things a bit more do-able/reasonable. I live in a condo, so self-washing is out of the question (we're not allowed)... and of course the auto-washers are going to leave micro scratches.

So, knowing that there's a guy a few blocks away who will do my washing for me has made me feel much better.... though I'm still a bit nervous...

But thanks for all your responses!

Quick Reply: The Truth about Dark Colors (PLEASE??)