GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tiny Rust spots on back bumper, need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-08, 12:32 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tiny Rust spots on back bumper, need help

Hey Guys,

Happy Easter!
Before anyone blames me for getting rust spots, to be honest, I wash my car and keep its so clean almost every 1-2 weeks. Due to the beautiful spring sun, I realize that there so many multiple 1mm-2mm size rust spots on my back bumper. I am so pissed since Michigan puts so much crappy salt on their roads due to the bad winter we get. I am not going to blame the Lexus paint but I might since I don't get these on my german cars. Anyways, How do I remove these spots? Are there any special cleaners?
Old 03-23-08, 12:38 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Depending on if the rust penetrated the paint, you might want to try a clay bar or a good paint cleaner to remove the contaminants in the paint. Meguiars Body Scrub is a good paint cleaner to try.
Old 03-23-08, 07:43 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting...can you post pics of this?
Old 03-23-08, 10:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah, pictures?

rear bumper is made of plastic, i wonder how you can get "rust" spot? i would also suggest try clay bar, it might take off a lot of contaminants
Old 03-24-08, 01:48 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

I will post some pictures later today or tmw. I was very surprise to see these, and I have never ever seen them on any other car except for my old american cars back in the 80s-90s.
Old 03-24-08, 01:56 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah...your old american cars of the 80s-90s had metal bumpers....todays are plastic...pretty darn sure that its chemically impossible for plastic to rust.
Old 03-24-08, 04:38 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Do you live or work near a factory or a steel mill? Industrial fallout is not unheard of.
Old 03-24-08, 05:42 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

typically those tiny rust spots are referred to as "rail dust"

Can come from a number of sources: literally from rail road cars (friction caused by wheels against the rails - hence the name), brake dust (due to metallic and semi-metallic pads), s#it they spread on roads in winter, industrial "fall out", etc.

You probably don't see the spots as easily on your German cars b/c of the paint color, but believe me they are there. I get it on my German car, my American car and both of our Lexus (shouldn't I be saying Lexii? ).

Anyhow, a clay bar or bug & tar remover will be the most effective way to remove them provided they are still on top of the surface (bug/tar will still work when below/in surface too). The rule of thumb is to use the least invasive method as possible to remove which in this case is clay. The longer you leave them there, the more invasive a proceedure you will need to remove which over a long period of time [read years] would require a repaint.

So, jump on it now w/ clay or b/t remover and remember to wax/protect the area when finished to help reduce future clean-up/occurrences.

Here's a picture of an extreme example w/ a lovely bee to show size comparison. On a white car, they show up plain as day - ask me how I know
Old 03-24-08, 05:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

very helpful burg!
Old 03-24-08, 08:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah, pictures?

rear bumper is made of plastic, i wonder how you can get "rust" spot? i would also suggest try clay bar, it might take off a lot of contaminants
I was thinking the same thing. And isnt rust damage covered by lexus under warranty. I have no clue when it comes to this bec I have spent most of my life in CA and AZ
Old 03-25-08, 07:36 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Hey,

Thanks! Thats exactly what I have. I will try to get them off this weekend. I have a mercury silver metallic and I couldn't get a nice picture of the back bumper with these spots.

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
typically those tiny rust spots are referred to as "rail dust"

Can come from a number of sources: literally from rail road cars (friction caused by wheels against the rails - hence the name), brake dust (due to metallic and semi-metallic pads), s#it they spread on roads in winter, industrial "fall out", etc.

You probably don't see the spots as easily on your German cars b/c of the paint color, but believe me they are there. I get it on my German car, my American car and both of our Lexus (shouldn't I be saying Lexii? ).

Anyhow, a clay bar or bug & tar remover will be the most effective way to remove them provided they are still on top of the surface (bug/tar will still work when below/in surface too). The rule of thumb is to use the least invasive method as possible to remove which in this case is clay. The longer you leave them there, the more invasive a proceedure you will need to remove which over a long period of time [read years] would require a repaint.

So, jump on it now w/ clay or b/t remover and remember to wax/protect the area when finished to help reduce future clean-up/occurrences.

Here's a picture of an extreme example w/ a lovely bee to show size comparison. On a white car, they show up plain as day - ask me how I know