GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3rd Gen GS Nav Bluetooth DVD mods thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-08, 11:17 PM
satone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
For 07+ GS….HERE IS THE WIRE MOD FOR NAV

you cut the white with silver dots wire (middle harness) and purple wire (driver side harness) then you use a switch to connect the purple wire coming from the deep side of the dash (not radio) to the white with silver spots (going away from the radio (to the nav). then this switch is on all the time except to input addresses, what that does is it allows the purple VSS signal to go to the nav See diagrams and pics (thanks to quezacotl for dgm)

Here is the switch I used, came from a 3.5inch external HDD enclosure I had

DVD override: If you have done the wire modification for nav, you have already taken the speed signal away from the cd / dvd changer. All you need to do additionally to allow DVD video in motion is to trick the dvd changer to think that the parking brake is applied. All you need to do is to ground the yellow parking brake wire. You cut the yellow wire in pics and attach a grounding connector (and wire extension) to the side that goes to the radio display and ground it to chassis. This way, car thinks it is not moving and the parking brake is applied (no dash lights come on) and lets your family watch DVD while car is in motion.

Hope this helps put things in one place and makes it easier for reference…..ask your questions here so that all can benefit….
Good looking pictures and diagrams. Do you know if this would work for 08 GS350? Also what gauge wires did you use?
Old 12-01-08, 03:14 PM
frotiss
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2007 GS350 I want to do a DVD overide any help please thanks
Old 12-02-08, 02:01 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

are you kidding? did you even look at the first page?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=317093
Old 12-05-08, 04:50 PM
lextronics
Pole Position

check the stickys....always use the search button first, you would find a ton of posts on this one...

hope you get the info your looking for..
Old 12-05-08, 04:52 PM
frotiss
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks I found some useful info
Old 12-23-08, 09:33 PM
starker
Driver School Candidate

Default New member. Version 8.1 Nav hybrid CD

Hello Team. A proper reference after reading the cooperative spirit that permeates this Club Forum. I have been reading your forum for a few months. You folks are a great read. The overall tone of the forum helped me in a decision to purchase a 2006 GS 430 as most forum members are prideful of their ownership. BMW, Mercedes and Infinity all have great product offerings. The competiton is fierce in this category. Having been happy with a 2001 GS 300, I continue to find the Lexus build quality superior to the other brands.

I have done all the "hacking" and thanks to the great instructional details on this forum, found it quite fun. I put in a switch for nav override but it seemed a little quirky as the screen greyed in and out. I haven't yet had the nerve to watch a movie and drive. The road from Phoenix to Vegas is already challenging. The 06 model had the 4.2 nav CD and I was able to "do the dance" for override. Man I was cruisin. Got one over on the man. However, I just purchased the new 8.1 version and have burned about 12 unsuccessful DVD's. I have tried the 4.2/8.1 hybrid. The 5.1/8.1 hybrid. The symptom is that the disc loads properly. Nav words great. But, the address button or POI button produces nothing. Even the POI category button works. I have a new HP DVD DL burner, Memorex DVD+ R DL discs and have used IMGburn, and nero sotware. Creating a ISO file, ISO + Joliet, ISO+Joliet +UDF, or ISO+UDF at version 2.6 and then burning the Iso file have not worked. Any thoughts from the team would be appreciated. Merry Christmas to all.
Old 01-11-09, 06:58 PM
CashOverAs
Driver

I have been reading over this thread and its awesomeeee, but there is some old info here and it would be great if one of the members that have been around a while can give us a general update so we dont have to read alll of this and we dont have to worry about reading old information that is no longer relevant.
For example, new software has come out since this first posting. What exactly is the status with these mods and the 7.1 software.
Also, new hardware is available that give you ipod controls and more. Is this mod pointless with some of that software, and even a step further, are there ipod/xm controls that wont work with this mod?
Old 01-11-09, 09:15 PM
EyeKutr

One thing to remember is that when you cut the wires and put a switch in between, car simply thinks it is stopped when the switch is used. So irregardless of the software (6.1 7.1 8.1 etc), this mod works. Relevant updates are made on the first page of this thread and the rest of the 100+ posts are simply people asking for clarification, if you read the first page, you get it all. This thread never was meant to discuss the "hybrid" disc as it seems to be a work in progress and success of 5.1 and 7.1 hybrids are hit and miss. Lastly, there is indeed a module as mentioned in the first page that prestigious society sells, it is a bypass module that involves no wire cutting but it has limitations. For instance, even to use the dial pad you must engage the system versus no action with the wire mod. There are concerns about voiding your warranty with cutting wires however, it should only apply to relevant pieces of the nav system, and only if there is a good link between the wire cutting and the faulty piece of equiment.
Old 01-11-09, 10:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i agree the mod has nothing to do with the software, even 8.1 works the same anyway.

about the warranty, electronic warranty works a bit different, shorting wires can lead to a lot of circuits and who knows what. i have seen 2 is350 electronic warranties voided coz' of wire cutting. i don't know how they messed it up though, i do know tons of owners with no problem doing wire cutting
Old 01-25-09, 02:18 PM
poclain64
Driver School Candidate

Default how redirect audio and video signals to a monitor

I made the update and it works well.
I have a question, how can i take out audio and video signals to redirect them to a monitor (on to headrests).
Thank you in advance.
Old 01-25-09, 02:23 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by poclain64
I have a question, how can i take out audio and video signals to redirect them to a monitor (on to headrests).
Thank you in advance.
I am searching this also. I have a shop that installed the remote starter for me working on this but I haven't been back. I am going to see if I can make it back there this coming Saturday to see if they found anything out. If I get the info I will share it with everyone
Old 01-25-09, 02:24 PM
EyeKutr

Originally Posted by poclain64
Thank you in advance.

this has yet to be determined....
Old 01-29-09, 11:06 AM
bloomjlexu
Driver School Candidate

Default OEM for Nav/Radio Unit

Does anyone know who makes the Nav/Stereo unit for Lexus? I have the Nav without ML.

Thanks,

Joshua
Old 01-29-09, 12:07 PM
tattooGS
Driver School Candidate

hey can someone clarify this...are the directions on the first page still the exact same way to do it or is their an updated version somewhere...I am going to attempt the mod this weekend!!!!
Thanks
Old 01-29-09, 04:41 PM
EyeKutr

Originally Posted by tattooGS
hey can someone clarify this...are the directions on the first page still the exact same way to do it or is their an updated version somewhere...I am going to attempt the mod this weekend!!!!
Thanks
they are updated on the first page.....good luck

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen GS Nav Bluetooth DVD mods thread