GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3rd Gen GS Nav Bluetooth DVD mods thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 09:02 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can burn stuff for your own use, it's hard to fault to be illegal. But someone did it for you to purchase is different story.
Old 02-23-10, 07:48 AM
Mota99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all so much for the great thread.

Have someone tried this mod on a 2010 GS? because I removed the unit and I was surprised when I saw the wires, I think it is very different from the previous models.

I can remove it again to take some clear pictures for the wires if someone is interested and hopefully could guide me to the VSS and brake wires.

Best regards,
Mota
Old 02-25-10, 06:54 PM
Mota99
Driver School Candidate

This is really the first time I regret buying something new!
I'm really disappointed for not being able to use my car's full tech options while I'm driving.

Here is some pics for the head unit plugs:

Overall back view:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1693311/MISC...GS460-2010.JPG

A top down view:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1693311/MISC...-head-unit.JPG

A closer look at the top side plugs:

A different angle for the top side plugs:

There is also 2 plugs at the bottom:

A closer look at the 2 top-right plugs:

A closer look at the bottom-left lonely plug:

I really hope that someone could find out how to do the bypass for 2010 models. And I'm really fine with experimenting if someone would help me out.

Finally, I have a simple (and maybe dumb) question from a novice person:
I saw that you've identified the plugs as K46 and H1, does the plugs usually have identifiers written on them or is it an electrical convention or something? because I can't see anything written on the plugs. (sorry if it was a dumb question)
Old 02-25-10, 09:22 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I will give it a good guess for you man, but it is a guess. What you need to do is to find the service manual for the 2010 model and look up the wiring and find VSS signal but looking at this pic, I have a very very good guess for you

You see the pink and purple wire on the upper right most side of the wires...that will be the wire you want my guess.......

If you are daring, and I think you are chop the pink wire about 2 inches from the plug and tape the ends.....go for a drive and let me know what you see....test the bluetooth, see if it available while driving, also check the nav immediately after you start driving and see if the buttons are greyed out or not...report back and I can figure the rest out.
Old 02-26-10, 10:56 AM
Mota99
Driver School Candidate

Hi EyeKurt. Thanks for your time man. I'll absolutely give it a try today, and I'll report the result.

Regarding the service manual, I actually did some research a week ago, but I only found the manuals for 09- models, if you know someone who sells it and would ship it internationally (I live in the middle east) please let me know.

Thanks again, and stay tuned. =D
Old 02-26-10, 02:58 PM
EyeKutr

I dont know where you can find a manual, anyhow, keep me posted, we can figure it out.
Old 02-27-10, 08:19 AM
Mota99
Driver School Candidate

No problem EyeKurt, I'm sure we'll figure it out.

After cutting the pink wire located at the top-right plug I've found the following:
Nav, BT and MP3 folders were all locked as normal, nothing was affected by cutting the pink wire except ..
The rear camera view didn't work! so i guess this wire carries the reverse mode signal from the gear or maybe the camera signal itself?

What do you think?
Old 02-27-10, 08:37 AM
EyeKutr

Ok , so you cut the pink wire near the number 1.....I would splice it back carefully, use solder for sure. As a last "try" I would cut the other pink near number 2. And see what that does.

Mota
another great thing to do would be to use a very small screwdriver to wiggle the wire from the harness .....it should be possible and much better than cutting. Just be sure to remember exactly where the wire came from.
Attached Thumbnails 3rd Gen GS Nav Bluetooth DVD mods thread-clipboard.jpg  

Last edited by EyeKutr; 02-27-10 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-27-10, 10:33 AM
Mota99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Ok , so you cut the pink wire near the number 1.....I would splice it back carefully, use solder for sure. As a last "try" I would cut the other pink near number 2. And see what that does.

Mota
another great thing to do would be to use a very small screwdriver to wiggle the wire from the harness .....it should be possible and much better than cutting. Just be sure to remember exactly where the wire came from.
I'm wondering why are you concentrating on the pink wires only? I was thinking of the purple wire next to the pink which I've cut, because the main VSS wire in 09- models was a purple one. What do you think?

Thanks for the small screwdriver tip, it'll make the testing task much easier.
I think I'm gonna test the pink wire at plug 2 first as you said, and then the purple one, unless you have another thought?

I really appreciate your help EyeKutr, thank you so much!
Old 02-27-10, 12:19 PM
EyeKutr

Originally Posted by Mota99
I'm wondering why are you concentrating on the pink wires only? I was thinking of the purple wire next to the pink which I've cut, because the main VSS wire in 09- models was a purple one. What do you think?

Thanks for the small screwdriver tip, it'll make the testing task much easier.
I think I'm gonna test the pink wire at plug 2 first as you said, and then the purple one, unless you have another thought?

I really appreciate your help EyeKutr, thank you so much!
Hi Mota
the pink had disappeared from 07-09 and now it has come back, so I am thinking it may be the one, but I was wrong. When you cut the pink, and put it in reverse, did the display say "watch surroundings" and there was no video or did it not even go to the camera screen. That may give us a clue. I would try the purple one rigth next to the #1 pink, I just dont want you to hack up too many wires on this very expensive car. I am attaching a wire guide to the 07-09 models. Perhaps it may be of some help. I would suggest looking at the plugs and removing the same exact wire from the same position if one exists. I will look at the pics you posted some more.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
navterminalsofecm.doc (356.5 KB, 314 views)

Last edited by EyeKutr; 02-27-10 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-27-10, 05:38 PM
Mota99
Driver School Candidate

Hi EyeKutr,

When you cut the pink, and put it in reverse, did the display say "watch surroundings" and there was no video or did it not even go to the camera screen.
No, it doesn't switch at all to the camera screen, and after going into the diagnostic screen, I found that the system detects the reverse signal condition normally, and there isn't a camera connection (check the attached pics).

I would try the purple one rigth next to the #1 pink, I just dont want you to hack up too many wires on this very expensive car.
Yeah, me neither. I wish that Toyota TechInfo site would accept a non US billing address, it would save me a lot of time and trouble. =D

I am attaching a wire guide to the 07-09 models. Perhaps it may be of some help. I would suggest looking at the plugs and removing the same exact wire from the same position if one exists.
Thanks for the file, I'm sure it can provide something useful, I'll check it out before I go on with taking off the purple wire.

Thanks again, Mota.
Attached Thumbnails 3rd Gen GS Nav Bluetooth DVD mods thread-snapshot-1267318711.106212.jpg   3rd Gen GS Nav Bluetooth DVD mods thread-snapshot-1267318779.643734.jpg  
Old 02-27-10, 08:11 PM
Mota99
Driver School Candidate

One more update, I've unplugged the whole top-right plug from the head unit and turned the ignition on (without starting the engine), and I noticed that the screen showed that it is playing something but there wasn't any sound (the diagnostic screen also showed that there is a problem with the audio connection), also the G/W located under the CAMERA-C has changed to NCON, anyone knows what G/W stands for?

I wanted to start the engine and drive the car to see if the screen still locks the nav/BT/MP3 features or not but I was afraid =D, is there any kind of danger if I did so?

I also unplugged the plug which you've labeled with number 2, but the screen didn't work at all, I didn't even hear the screen fan's voice. When I plugged it back the screen showed a message like "the screen is loading, do not turn the power off", it just took around 10 seconds and it came alive again =D

best regards,
Old 02-27-10, 08:54 PM
EyeKutr

So the second plug is the connection harness to the nav system I think....getting closer. I am not sure what G/W stands for.
Old 04-13-10, 05:44 PM
flosc32
Driver School Candidate

Anyone in Hampton Roads Va that does the Nav, BT, wire hack while the car is in motion? 07 GS450h?
Old 04-27-10, 04:54 PM
str8up70
Driver School Candidate

Are the wire colours for an '09 GS350 the same as with the '07-'08's? I'd like to know before starting to open up such an expensive piece. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen GS Nav Bluetooth DVD mods thread