GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Body Rattles - DIY thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-07, 04:29 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Body Rattles - DIY thread

I have become an expert at rattles on the GS.....lets post DIY fixes to the common rattles, I am sure many of us here trust themselves more than the dealer......I will start

The Mark Lev dash speaker rattle - The ML speaker in the dash is 2 speakers in one, and the base of the larger speaker has a square sheet of metal that has a purpose of holding a clip which secures the wiring in place so it does not pull the leads of the speaker. if this comes loose, you will hear a metal on metal sound when going over bumps. Solution, use a standard screwdriver with electric tape and pry the speaker grill off, and remove the speaker using a metric socket wrench. Clean the base of the speaker with wd40 or goo gone type of cleaner to remove sticky residue, then use 3m double sided tape to resecure the metal base. Reinstall and youre done.

Here is a link to the speaker removal
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=284570
Old 10-08-07, 04:23 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you get at this speaker if you pull the Nav Unit?
Old 10-08-07, 08:05 PM
EyeKutr

CT, i just had my nav out for the SLI re-install and I dont think you can get to the center speaker that way, obviously not the side speakers either. I think the vents and their ducting is in the way
Old 10-09-07, 10:38 AM
beemreatr
Driver School Candidate

Anyone else having probs with Roof rattle? My car has been in the shop 10 times and they can't seem to find why it creeks. Its around the sunroof, but its not the sunroof.
Old 10-09-07, 10:41 AM
EyeKutr

The sunroof rattle is a problem I have not had, thank goodness, it seems to be a tough one. 10 times !!! I smell a lemon
Old 10-12-07, 10:47 PM
LAMPRO
Driver School Candidate

aww man i got this terrible squeak coming from the driver visor or the sensor behind the rearview mirror, or the dash- ive brought it into to be insulated. it lasted about 2 weeks without any noise. i had a VSC check light come on and another service job, and that night i picked it up, the squeak came back. I dont have the ML so its not that. I dont know what it is, and they cant pinpoint it either. Its going back in on monday. im buggin out bigtime- read my other long post about it here-

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=310917&page=2
Old 10-13-07, 04:34 AM
vandit23
Driver

I got the rearview mirror replaced under warranty because mine was shaking bad while driving...it was hard to see images through the mirror...Also, there a small rattle coming from there...Anyway, the rep said there was a service bulletin on it...maybe you can get it replaced...
Old 10-13-07, 04:53 AM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vandit23
I got the rearview mirror replaced under warranty because mine was shaking bad while driving...it was hard to see images through the mirror...Also, there a small rattle coming from there...Anyway, the rep said there was a service bulletin on it...maybe you can get it replaced...
I was plagued with rattles in the RL I traded. Now I am hearing them in the GS too.. in fact, I'd say they're much worse in the GS, expecially along with windshield...and in the morning when it's cold. Acura was horrible about figuring out and fixing them, so I resorted to taking the centerconsole apart myself and doing it. I've looked at the Lexus, and it seems like the rattle points would be much harder to reach on my own, so I'm bringing it in this week to let the dealer try. I'm 99% it's coming from the windshield. I had a 94 GS ...and remember it being whisper quiet. Is this just a design flaw? Like the wind noise your hear people talk about in the LS? The other thing I wonder...is if cars like the GS and RL are just so quiet that you hear every little thing. I can hear the kinetic wind on my watch sometimes while I'm driving and my wrist moves. A friend of mine just got a Mazda SUV, and I can't hear a single rattle or squeek. Now is that because the engine noise is drowning it out? Or they have just figured out how to install a windshield properly.

Remember the old commercials for Lexus that used to have the LS driving down the rail-road ties ...then flash to the inside of the cabin, all quiet and serene... good luck doing that on one of todays cars, it would shake the interior apart.
Old 10-13-07, 03:03 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

What about my center console? It creaks. if I push on the console it stops.
Old 10-13-07, 06:46 PM
EyeKutr

Originally Posted by starstreak
What about my center console? It creaks. if I push on the console it stops.
Here you go stars......tools needed
Standard screw driver with electric tape applied to the end (protects the wood as you pop it off)
Phillips screwdriver
10mm socket wrench
Insulation

first you need to remove the center console, look at this thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156160

Once you remove the 4 10mm bolts, you can wiggle the entire unit up and down and hear the creaks. Pop the entire unit out, I find the tape deck slot handy as I use the hole to get leverage on the assembly and the thing draws out if you pull backwards and slightly up. It takes a bit to get it out, but it slides out. Then the a/c vent at the top can be popped off by gently prying on the tap below it with a screwdriver.

I applied insulation to the top and bottom of this vent and then reinstalled the vent (be sure to reconnect the LED wiring to it)

Next, install some insulation on each side of the center console. You can put more of this insulation on plastic components that you feel may also creak. I put a small amount on the little metal shelves (see in the rear part of the dash). Next, slide the unit back in, you need to compress the insulation on both sides as you slide it in so it fits in flush.

Once you reinstall the center stack, you will note that the gap between the a/c vents and the center stack is larger than before. Firmly push up on the stack from the bottom and crank your bolts down and you will reduce the gap greatly as the insulation is readily compressible. Go for a drive before reinstalling the shifter / cup holder console assembly.

This is the stuff, found at home depot (door weather strip insulation)

Last edited by EyeKutr; 10-13-07 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-13-07, 08:22 PM
3GS168
Driver School Candidate

my car is a creaking machine, i've given up on it. The more i take it in, the more new creaks i hear
Old 10-14-07, 03:14 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

thanks youre the bomb. Now I just gotta get the nerve to take it apart.
Old 10-14-07, 04:04 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you have the *****....... instructions to disassemble the dashboard:

http://files.filefront.com/62+instru.../fileinfo.html
Old 12-06-07, 12:00 PM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Noise fixing solutions... Post your DIY solutions

I posted this on another thread about noises. I figured that anyone who's had success isolating and eliminating a noise could post here ...so we can use are combined blood/sweat/tears to figure these noise issues out.

I feel like I can only go to the dealer so many times before I get labled a LOON. And often when I do take it in, my car's not making the noise, or the route they drive it on isn't bumpy enough to reproduce it. Anyway...I've found doing it myself is more rewarding and often more effective.

Here's my original post... sorry if you've already read it on another thread.

Hey Guys... well mine is finally quiet as a church mouse...here's what I did.

Had Window Clips cut (decreased noise from upper dash 50%)

Had TSB for Ventilation Cowl done (decreased noises from upper dash 100%)

Creaking from door panel whenever I'd rest my arm on it... pulled rear upper door panel back (there is a single clip back there...if you try this be careful, it could break) Took a piece of cloth and put it over the clip and pushed door panel back on. Silent.

squeeking/rubbing noise coming from inside of driver seat. Pulled back of seat off... localized the noise to a spring that was rubbing against the foam seat... put a piece of felt tape around the spring coil. Silent.

Had a faint clicking coming from what sounded like the B-pillar right by ear. Pressed on the window and it would go away. Rolled down the window, and put silicone grease along the rubber window seals. Silent.

Still had 'clicking/creaking' over bumps from Nav Headunit... took it out last night. Put a piece of 2mm thick black dense foam paper (bought at wallmart in the arts/crafts department) up both sides of the unit...and along the top (in between the AC Vents and the unit). Squeezed it back into it's place.

Drove it last night and back and forth to work today. Not one click/squeek/rub/rattle or burp, ... none... NOTHING! Amazing. Now this is what a Lexus is supposed to sound like.... quiet.

Keep posting about your problems...and any solutions. I've used quiet a few of you all's ideas to isolate and fix things. Thanks!
The following 5 users liked this post by NavyDoc333:
andthen (10-15-18), hanifh (09-05-22), PauloFR (07-05-20), skur (06-16-23), whoyouknow (12-13-18)
Old 12-06-07, 12:05 PM
EyeKutr

we can add this here or vice cersa
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=310935

Quick Reply: Body Rattles - DIY thread