GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Body Rattles - DIY thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-12, 09:27 AM
gs4thirty
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gonna give this a shot.

Thanks
Old 03-24-13, 10:31 PM
isam250
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Any one have rattles on the driver side. Near the steering wheel/ under dash?
Old 03-29-13, 12:07 AM
redbaron
Pole Position

definitely tagged for future reference. I have not had the time to properly anti rattle my car.
Old 05-15-16, 03:24 PM
deltabravo
Driver School Candidate

Back from the dead. I just bought a 2011 GS350 and there are two rattles driving me wonky. One was coming from the dash when going over bumpy roads. I pulled the instrument cluster trim off and tapped on the top of the dash, pushing and prodding until I found the culprit - the cluster itself. I wedged a piece of very dense foam between the bottom of the cluster and a plastic duct that runs horizontally under it. Problem solved!

Now to find the source of the "golf ball" clunking around in the back somewhere. I can't determine yet exactly where it comes from or what causes it. I think it might be a toughie.

EDIT: Who buys a Lexus expecting squeaks and rattles?!? Even a used one. Nobody that's who.
Old 05-15-16, 03:35 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by deltabravo
EDIT: Who buys a Lexus expecting squeaks and rattles?!? Even a used one. Nobody that's who.
Not me for Sure !! .... I used to be a Loyal Lexus Owner, but my 2007 GS350 with all of its rattles and squeaks had me kiss the Lexus Brand Good Bye....... The only way I solved my rattle was to sell the GS350.....

Having been a Very Happy Hyundai Genesis Owner for 5 years, I now own 2 Genesis and have never had a rattle problem or any other problem for that matter. I am a Confirmed Genesis Owner. I have 70K miles on my 2011 and it is problem and rattle free as the day I bought it about 6 years ago. I bought a 2014 Genesis about 2 years ago and love it.

Lexus Lost its Luster about 2003.............
Old 05-17-16, 12:39 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Yea, I went from an 02 LS to an 07 GS350 AWD ~ 2 months ago (rest her soul) and I'm still in shock at the NVH in this beast.

Comparing from my experience taking the LS apart (tho it was rarely needed), it's actually true when people say the GS isn't "put together" as well as the LS.
It seems like the trim and covers are well designed to fit elegantly and cleanly but not tightly/securely.

I've hunted down and fixed most of the noises, but two still elude me.
One seems to be in the left C-pillar. I'll go in there this weekend and try to get that one gone. Kind of a ticking sound that's triggered by the car rocking gently but not by impacts and bumps.
The other is the sunroof. Just seems... loose. Already tightened the two rear mounting bolts, need to get to the others now.

Bah. At least I enjoy the work.
Also glad I bought this as a holdover until an LS460 next year.
Now not sure if I want to search for an 05/06 LS430 instead...
Don't know whether to trust this generation of Lexus cars.

Last edited by dfkd; 05-17-16 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-17-16, 01:22 PM
Lead Lap

Received 750 Likes on 504 Posts

Mine has a rattle on the rear view mirror. If I clamp it tight with my hands it disappears.

Anyone know how to fix it?
Old 05-17-16, 01:25 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Mine has a rattle on the rear view mirror. If I clamp it tight with my hands it disappears.

Anyone know how to fix it?

If the mirror is loose there's a hex screw that faces downward that you should tighten to start.
It's on the stalk that connects the mirror to the glass (behind the garage door buttons).
There's a small hole you'll find if you put your head up under the mirror.
Old 06-13-16, 09:47 AM
deltabravo
Driver School Candidate

Now to find the source of the "golf ball" clunking around in the back somewhere. I can't determine yet exactly where it comes from or what causes it. I think it might be a toughie.
I fixed it. It was the driver's seat. I retightened the seat mounting bolts and the noise went away. Not that they were loose per se, just loose enough I suppose to allow the seat to shift very slightly when my body weight shifted, such as when going around a turn.

My next noise is not a clunk or rattle. It's a whine or moan from the engine compartment when the throttle is just barely cracked open. For example when maintaining 45-50mph on a flat road. Lift completely and the noise goes away. Press hard enough to accelerate and the noise goes away. It is definitely in the 'just turn up the radio' range but I'm curious and will do some research to see if I can find out anything.
Old 06-26-16, 10:53 AM
Lead Lap

Received 750 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by dfkd
If the mirror is loose there's a hex screw that faces downward that you should tighten to start.
It's on the stalk that connects the mirror to the glass (behind the garage door buttons).
There's a small hole you'll find if you put your head up under the mirror.
Mine rattled from the not so secure coupling of the mirror housing. I remember someone took it apart to try taping the inside down but to no avail.

I have found a fix now that took 5mins 😀

Happy to share if anyone has the problem.
Old 09-29-16, 10:05 PM
jegyed
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dash Rattle above Steering Wheel

Back from the dead. I just bought a 2011 GS350 and there are two rattles driving me wonky. One was coming from the dash when going over bumpy roads. I pulled the instrument cluster trim off and tapped on the top of the dash, pushing and prodding until I found the culprit - the cluster itself. I wedged a piece of very dense foam between the bottom of the cluster and a plastic duct that runs horizontally under it. Problem solved!

Thank you, I have this problem. My 2008 just developed this rattle, it started slow and now acts up on bumpy pavement. If I push down on the dash or squeeze it between my fingers it goes away. I was trying to figure out what to do and it sounds like this will work.

How do you pull the cluster trim off?

Thanks.
Old 03-25-18, 10:27 AM
Japmand
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just found one of the most annoying clicking noises I've had for a long time that I COULD not find. There are plastic tabs glued onto the windshield for alignment and they push down into metal slots/tabs on the roof. It was making a clicking noise when the body would flex. Had to pull my front pass visor down and the center overhead console.
Old 12-04-18, 06:16 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

anyone have idea on the rear dash rattle?