GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Aristo swap gs430. (**** biter)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-17, 07:45 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

very impressive power. comes on so smooth and pulls hard.
Old 12-25-17, 08:58 AM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Very nice. I love v8 sound, but these damn jz's sound **** when screaming redline.

Surely this is nowhere near as fast as your SCV8 was?
Old 12-25-17, 03:10 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CRASHMONK
Very nice. I love v8 sound, but these damn jz's sound **** when screaming redline.

Surely this is nowhere near as fast as your SCV8 was?
honestly i feel that its neck and neck. something about this engine setup pulls really hard. now granted im running upwards of 14psi which is more than stock aristo power figures. plus i have all the upgrades done. larger intercooler, higher flowing fuel pump, 3 inch downpipe, and im hitting right at fuel cut (14.7) psi. im hesitant to put in the fuel cut defender which clamps the voltage at 4.3v going to the ecu from the map sensor. once i hold boost steadier than ill speed cut and boost cut remove.
Old 12-25-17, 03:12 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

first thing in order is the valve body mods for firmer quicker shifts. than get boost control down pat so i can push it to 16 psi and rock that till im bored.
Old 01-10-18, 02:57 PM
boostroost
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for posting your experience with the Aristo swap into GS430. I am looking to pull together the last few items to complete this swap but I have a couple ?s:
for the throttle: did you use the gs300 pedal and supra cable in place of the gs430 DBW pedal?
for the driveshaft: did you use the Aristo front half or could you use the GS430 one since we use the 430 coupling?
could you put up specific details of the wiring that you had to complete in addition to the Tweak patch harness (IE cooling fan operation that you stated above?)
Thanks in advance-
Old 01-10-18, 05:03 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by boostroost
Thank you for posting your experience with the Aristo swap into GS430. I am looking to pull together the last few items to complete this swap but I have a couple ?s:
for the throttle: did you use the gs300 pedal and supra cable in place of the gs430 DBW pedal?
for the driveshaft: did you use the Aristo front half or could you use the GS430 one since we use the 430 coupling?
could you put up specific details of the wiring that you had to complete in addition to the Tweak patch harness (IE cooling fan operation that you stated above?)
Thanks in advance-
gs300 gas pedal with 1995 toyota throttle cable. used stock gs430 driveshaft bc it bolted right in. no specifics on the wiring for the body wiring. sorry. i dont remember exactly which was what. but i do know that the trans range switch had to get rewired at the ecu box, the starter signal, a/c compressor clutch and lock sensor, but the fans didn't have to be touched at all. self contained so no ecm operation other than when compressor comes on.
Old 01-16-18, 12:47 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default making things work

this is an update for anyone who is doing the aristo swap into the gs300 or gs400/430 platform. after the swap the car ran good but it didn't have park or reverse on my dash and had to sort it out. also, the biggest thing, i couldn't communicate with the aristo ecm for data or trouble codes. even after buying a launch scan tool from ebay that claimed to support JOBD which is the required protocol for communicating with aristo ecm. sent it back thinking it was defective. it would power up which is good but never would communicate. so, today at work i decided to dive in deeper to find out why my park reverse lights wouldn't come on but my drive and other gears would. I discovered that the tweakd harness was missing some crucial wires. the pin in plug 59 that is the input to the ecm from the trans for reverse and the other pin for park were not in the harness. cam at tweakd assured me that the harness was complete but clearly not. after i went thru the schematics i determined which connectors had the reverse and park signal. wired them into the open pin slots on the tweakd harness and to the body harness so the reverse lights would work. and bam! got my reverse lights working and the indicators on the dash. whats important to know is that the reverse signal comes from the trans connector but has to supply a signal to the ecm and also go to the reverse lights circuit in the body harness. what needed for the ecm is the signals so it can them turn the indicators on the dash using the multiplex network which is communication. bc at first, the reverse lights came on but still no dash indicators. once i jumped the signal to the ecm than the indicators worked.
also, my communication issue has been resolved. on connector f60 there was an open pin slot where the SIL wire should have gone that connects to the under dash obd2 port. so i traced which gs430 body connector had the original communication wire and jumped a wire from it to the aristo SIL pin in the missing tweakd harness. than at our shop we have an AUTEL scan tool that miraculously has japanese and european vehicle options in it. when i do a manual vehicle selection i was able to find toyota aristo with 2jzgte. i plugged it in, turned key on and was able to communicate with the aristo ecm. HELL YAAA!!! i was so excited. i found no trouble codes and than was able to watch live data stream like fuel trims and throttle position and timing advance. very awesome. maybe now ill try to pick up a pocket scanner with jobd and see if itll communicate now.
so now im that much close to getting the car in factory like condition. im contemplating sourcing the japanese traction module so itll have functioning vsc and i dont have to pull the bulbs. but everything else works.
Attached Thumbnails Aristo swap gs430. (**** biter)-img_0344.jpg   Aristo swap gs430. (**** biter)-img_0345.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by badblackgs:
2jshev (01-20-18), boostroost (03-08-18)
Old 01-16-18, 01:35 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Glad you got it sorted. Tweak no longer takes the time to do their harnesses properly. Thats why I do my own now!
Old 01-20-18, 05:37 PM
2jshev
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by badblackgs
this is an update for anyone who is doing the aristo swap into the gs300 or gs400/430 platform. after the swap the car ran good but it didn't have park or reverse on my dash and had to sort it out. also, the biggest thing, i couldn't communicate with the aristo ecm for data or trouble codes. even after buying a launch scan tool from ebay that claimed to support JOBD which is the required protocol for communicating with aristo ecm. sent it back thinking it was defective. it would power up which is good but never would communicate. so, today at work i decided to dive in deeper to find out why my park reverse lights wouldn't come on but my drive and other gears would. I discovered that the tweakd harness was missing some crucial wires. the pin in plug 59 that is the input to the ecm from the trans for reverse and the other pin for park were not in the harness. cam at tweakd assured me that the harness was complete but clearly not. after i went thru the schematics i determined which connectors had the reverse and park signal. wired them into the open pin slots on the tweakd harness and to the body harness so the reverse lights would work. and bam! got my reverse lights working and the indicators on the dash. whats important to know is that the reverse signal comes from the trans connector but has to supply a signal to the ecm and also go to the reverse lights circuit in the body harness. what needed for the ecm is the signals so it can them turn the indicators on the dash using the multiplex network which is communication. bc at first, the reverse lights came on but still no dash indicators. once i jumped the signal to the ecm than the indicators worked.
also, my communication issue has been resolved. on connector f60 there was an open pin slot where the SIL wire should have gone that connects to the under dash obd2 port. so i traced which gs430 body connector had the original communication wire and jumped a wire from it to the aristo SIL pin in the missing tweakd harness. than at our shop we have an AUTEL scan tool that miraculously has japanese and european vehicle options in it. when i do a manual vehicle selection i was able to find toyota aristo with 2jzgte. i plugged it in, turned key on and was able to communicate with the aristo ecm. HELL YAAA!!! i was so excited. i found no trouble codes and than was able to watch live data stream like fuel trims and throttle position and timing advance. very awesome. maybe now ill try to pick up a pocket scanner with jobd and see if itll communicate now.
so now im that much close to getting the car in factory like condition. im contemplating sourcing the japanese traction module so itll have functioning vsc and i dont have to pull the bulbs. but everything else works.
WOW!!!! This is cool!!! I wonder if my dash trans indicator lights are not functioning because of the same issue. I am going to check it out. As for the ASR computer and getting the traction control to work there is a good writ up out there https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...red-gs300.html
I still have not been able to source the Aristo harness that connects into it so that I can wire the ASR into the US computer. Would like to get that done though..

Anyway you can do a play by play to help the non-technical guys like me out.

Last edited by 2jshev; 01-20-18 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 05:39 PM
Hayce
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great work. I feel bad for you guys having to jump through all these hoops when the rest of us just get them stock like this!

Is your tach reading right? RPM looks at least 1k higher than mine.
Old 01-22-18, 04:46 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hayce
Great work. I feel bad for you guys having to jump through all these hoops when the rest of us just get them stock like this!

Is your tach reading right? RPM looks at least 1k higher than mine.
yes tach reading higher but its been resolved using a tachometer signal calibrator. now its back to normal.
Old 02-04-18, 06:18 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default if it helps anyone

was having random limp mode issues and finally got to the bottom of it. (or not)

Last edited by badblackgs; 02-11-18 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-04-18, 06:53 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I got a local mechanic buddy that asked me about a throttle issue with a 98 landcruiser 4.7. He's replaced the tps and recently the pedal tps and i think it's still not working right. Would be interested to see if this fixes your issue, maybe that's this LC's problem too.
I'm interested because I'm the new owner of a Sequoia with the same goofy throttle. .
Old 02-11-18, 11:41 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default Continued aristo tb diag.

Old 03-08-18, 02:04 PM
boostroost
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by badblackgs
Im having a no crank issue with the aristo swap in my 01 430, i have the tweaked patch harness as well- I wonder if it is related? i thought i would need to adjust the aristo shift rod so that it could sense park but now im worried i need to dig deeper into the harness..

Quick Reply: Aristo swap gs430. (**** biter)