GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

KEY PROGRAMMING for 98-05 gs300 400 430

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-16, 08:32 PM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone programmed a transponder with a dummy key in the ignition?

e.g. By having the transponder very close to ignition?

I mean, the range is not THAT precise, is it?
Old 05-11-16, 06:25 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by AmanO
Has anyone programmed a transponder with a dummy key in the ignition?

e.g. By having the transponder very close to ignition?

I mean, the range is not THAT precise, is it?
I'm going with... the key you use has to be cut to the cylinder, so that it fully inserts, and triggers the sensor in the cylinder as being inserted. At that point, you should be able to program the transponder.
Old 05-11-16, 01:13 PM
jmislang80
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome!!! This answers what I was looking for! trying it tonight!
Old 05-15-16, 12:14 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default OEM Cut keys 2 for $17.99 with chip $21.99

Originally Posted by Rasta1
Where can I purchase a spare key?

There is a locksmith on eBay...1010keys, that will pre-cut OEM (DENSO) keys, compete with battery, and ship to you.

All you do is email a photo of the existing key (both sides), and within a few days..perfect OEM cut keys.

I did this last year for my 2001 GS300...it cost $17.99 for two (free shipping).
(Two cut DENSO keys with MAXELL batteries)

He also will sell the pre-cut key with the chip (new OEM never programmed) for around $22.00.

It WORKS...and is far far cheaper than LEXUS dealer prices....

Here is a link to his eBay store:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/1010keys?_tr...53.m2749.l2754

or

http://www.ebay.com/usr/1010keys?_tr...53.m2749.l2754

Hope this helps....
Old 06-01-16, 02:24 PM
AmanO
Intermediate

I am having trouble with getting the car into program mode, even for just keys.
Do you TAP or FLOOR the pedals?

When you remove the key while in program mode, does the steering wheel return to rest position or stay in extended position?

Last edited by AmanO; 06-01-16 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-20-16, 11:51 AM
Labbruzzin
Driver School Candidate

Default Lost SC 430 keys, I only had one

Dealership wants 650.00 dollars for 1 key , anyway to save money another way ????? [/B]
Originally Posted by raytseng
i haven't done a lot of key programming, but as long as you are asking for ideas,
I recall there are a certain number of slots in the system.
If you had a lot of keys already registered (6 i think?), you got to go to someone with the handheld computer (dealer) to delete the keys before you can add them all back in again.

Something along those lines...
Old 07-01-16, 10:49 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Labbruzzin
Dealership wants 650.00 dollars for 1 key , anyway to save money another way ????? [/B]
Guessing you have 0 keys?

If 0 keys, there's places online that you have to ship them the driver's door lock and the ECM, and they'll cut you as many keys as you want. $300 seems to be the bottom with 1 generic master, up to a lot more if you want 3 oem masters with remotes (with stuff in between for master w/o remotes and valets).
Old 07-01-16, 12:07 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

Took the GS400 to the local Toyota dealership, they said they could put on their scan tool and program another master/remote and valet key (currently have one good master). Can do Toyota during lunch, Lexus is too far. Got a genuine Lexus master/remote and valet blank from eBay, and had the local locksmith cut the keys.

Toyota was able to program the valet w/o-remote key (security light stays on 2sec, indicating it's a valet), yet said they were unable to program the master because the driver's lock actuator's open/closed sensor is broken, they say it is stuck open, even when the door is closed. So they are saying I can't program a new master, or set a new keyless remote, either via the manual method or the scan tool, until the part is functioning properly.

Does this sound right?
Old 07-01-16, 12:11 PM
AmanO
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sbagdon
Toyota was able to program the valet w/o-remote key (security light stays on 2sec, indicating it's a valet), yet said they were unable to program the master because the driver's lock actuator's open/closed sensor is broken, they say it is stuck open, even when the door is closed. So they are saying I can't program a new master, or set a new keyless remote, either via the manual method or the scan tool, until the part is functioning properly.

Does this sound right?
I wonder if this is my issue, too.
Old 07-01-16, 12:37 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

Originally Posted by AmanO
I wonder if this is my issue, too.
What has been driving me crazy is that I can put the car in to key-programming mode, yet it would never accept a master-key at the insert-key stage (never tried the valet key). And it would never go in to keyless-remote programming mode. Guess it's time to find out what the replacement part option is.
Old 07-01-16, 01:18 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 263 Likes on 226 Posts

It's been a while but when I programmed mine it would not work. I was using the power lock/ unlock switch. I tried it again and manually flipped the lock switch and it worked
Old 07-01-16, 09:22 PM
AmanO
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sbagdon
What has been driving me crazy is that I can put the car in to key-programming mode, yet it would never accept a master-key at the insert-key stage (never tried the valet key). And it would never go in to keyless-remote programming mode. Guess it's time to find out what the replacement part option is.
Can you elaborate? (or even take a video of what happens?
Old 09-26-16, 08:02 PM
LE2222MY
Driver School Candidate

I need HELP!!! I have followed the steps provided and able to get to Step 9. After I closed the door (AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted. IF the locks cycle twice it has failed.) I got the locks cycle twice, and it FAILED. :-(

I have tried at least 20 times, still cannot get the remote to work?! I have tried the following steps several times too and did not work. I have 2 Master keys, tried both and have not gotten it to work.
The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didn’t receive a good signal from the remote. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing steps 8 and 9. 2) Don’t hold the remote buttons down as long.

So what does this mean? Hope it is not something serious?! The Batteries Plus Bulbs by me told me they charge $50 to program the remote. Kind of expensive.

BTW: for Step 3 - The electric lock switch did not work for me. Good thing another person posted to use the lock button on the handle. That works and I got the lock cycle response.

REMOTE PROGRAMMING
1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove. Do not turn it on.
3. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
4. Close and open drivers door.
5. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON" , turn off and remove.
7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.
If the door locks do not cycle (lock and unlock) by themselves then the car isn’t in programming mode and you must start over.
8. On the remote, press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.
9. On the remote, press the LOCK button for no more than 1 second.
AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted.
IF the locks cycle twice it has failed.
The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didn’t receive a good signal from the remote. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing steps 8 and 9. 2) Don’t hold the remote buttons down as long.
As long as the car is still in programming mode you can keep trying steps 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.
After you get the remote to program then continue on with step 10.
10. Close and open door to end programming procedure.
Old 10-21-16, 04:10 PM
GSBeliever
Rookie

Not sure if you got it to work but I found a great video that worked for me first time. It helps to see the process done visually as opposed to reading the instructions on a list.
On a side note went to Stealership and parts department wanted to charge me $205 for a new master key and $95 for programming. Crazy! Ended up buying a cut key through eBay and programmed myself.

Old 10-22-16, 08:23 AM
Robles84
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Great write up in will be using this soon

Quick Reply: KEY PROGRAMMING for 98-05 gs300 400 430