GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

KEY PROGRAMMING for 98-05 gs300 400 430

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-17, 05:57 AM
russovi
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I need some advice..

I purchased a 2000 lexus gs300 and the only key I have seems to be the "valet" key. Or so the stealership says. They quote me $197 for a new key with key less entry included, and $130 to program that key. HOWEVER, the guy talks to his service department and said that it's not possible. I was told that a master key CAN NOT be programmed for a car using a valet key, and I would need to change my computer out..WTF..

advice? suggestions? anybody? Thinking of going aftermarket with a viper alarm/key less entry combo instead.

Included is a pic of the key I have. It opens all the doors, trunk, and locks the glove box if that helps.

Old 09-13-17, 05:43 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

I think they might be correct. I would call a locksmith.
Old 09-22-17, 04:52 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by swat1727
in case someone needs to add another key there is the instruction. two parts. key and remote

KEY PROGRAMMING:

REMOTE PROGRAMMING:

1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove. Do not turn it on.
3. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
4. Close and open drivers door.
5. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON" , turn off and remove.
7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.

If the door locks do not cycle (lock and unlock) by themselves then the car isn’t in programming mode and you must start over.

8. On the remote, press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.
9. On the remote, press the LOCK button for no more than 1 second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted.
IF the locks cycle twice it has failed.
The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didn’t receive a good signal from the remote. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing steps 8 and 9. 2) Don’t hold the remote buttons down as long.
As long as the car is still in programming mode you can keep trying steps 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.
After you get the remote to program then continue on with step 10.
10. Close and open door to end programming procedure.

1. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
2. Press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
6. Press and release the gas pedal one time.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.
NOTE: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will come on and start to blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.
If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode. If you can not get your car to go into programming mode make sure you are using a master key and not a valet key. If you have a master key then you will probably need to perform this procedure more quickly.
Hi,

First, I know this thread is old, but my question is this KEY PROGRAMMING work as well for 2009 Lexus GX470. The OEM key is the same as the GS300, GS400 and 430?
I friend of mine buy a GX470 and ask me that question. I respond I found out for you and that is the reason for my question here.
Second, I also know that this is a GS forums but I not loose nothing for ask to help my friend.

Thanks in advance guys
Old 04-13-18, 05:48 AM
truongn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I bought a 2000 Lexus gs400. The car didn't have any keys. I got a new cut key fob to be a master key. Would I still be able to use these steps to program the key I got cut? Thank you
Old 04-14-18, 08:26 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by truongn
So I bought a 2000 Lexus gs400. The car didn't have any keys. I got a new cut key fob to be a master key. Would I still be able to use these steps to program the key I got cut? Thank you
no. You will need to find someone with the computer program to program another key. Or buy an Ecu with the matching key chip
The following users liked this post:
truongn (04-14-18)
Old 04-14-18, 09:15 AM
truongn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexo98

no. You will need to find someone with the computer program to program another key. Or buy an Ecu with the matching key chip
ok thank you
Old 04-14-18, 05:07 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by truongn
On the 98-00 ECU, I believe you only get 2 or 3 reprograms since it is a different rom than the 01-05 ECU which can be reprogrammed multiple times. On my 04 GS300 when I lost the one and only original key, I took my title to a Lexus dealer and they cut a new master key to the vin number. Once it was cut (and made sure the key part was working), I ordered a locksmith package on ebay for a ECU reprogram w/2 new valet keys. I had to take out my ECU under the hood and mail it in with the new master key. They reprogrammed the new key to it and it's been working like it should ever since.

Total cost for me:

$282 for 2 new oem master keys ($141 a piece and the dealer cut for free with purchase)
$179 for ECU reprogram to new master key and 2 cut valet keys.
Old 04-17-18, 11:01 AM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

There's a page on facebook that offers the magic wand transponder copying tool rental with purchase of a flip key. Should look them up.
Old 04-20-18, 12:31 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I keep swearing to find a working GS400 ecu, buy some keys, and send them off to have them programmed. Living with one master (that came with the car) and one valet (programmed at Toyota.. .yes... Toyota...). Yet really would prefer to have two masters and a valet. One day.
Old 04-20-18, 10:17 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sbagdon
I keep swearing to find a working GS400 ecu, buy some keys, and send them off to have them programmed. Living with one master (that came with the car) and one valet (programmed at Toyota.. .yes... Toyota...). Yet really would prefer to have two masters and a valet. One day.
If you have one master key then you can program another new master key yourself super easy in like 10 steps that involves unlocking/locking doors and putting in and removing the key in the ignition kinda dance. I programed my 2nd new master key myself and it was super easy. It was also nice the dealer cut the key to the vin for free with the purchase of a new master key from them and they had the key in stock too

The problem is once you loose your one and only key, then you need to have the ECU reprogrammed.
Old 04-25-18, 11:25 PM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

This is the service I was referring to, there's a tool you can order on ebay but you will need to purchase the specific chip for that tool. facebook.com/luxiousauto/posts/1511337285643399
Old 06-19-18, 10:49 AM
warren47
Driver School Candidate

Default KEY PROGRAMMING for 98-05 gs300 400 430

swat1727 thanks for the help. It worked for me on my 01 ls430.
wb
Old 07-20-18, 12:58 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

Originally Posted by shwalker07
If you have one master key then you can program another new master key yourself super easy in like 10 steps that involves unlocking/locking doors and putting in and removing the key in the ignition kinda dance. I programed my 2nd new master key myself and it was super easy. It was also nice the dealer cut the key to the vin for free with the purchase of a new master key from them and they had the key in stock too

The problem is once you loose your one and only key, then you need to have the ECU reprogrammed.
Toyota claimed that the ECM was hearing from a sensor that the driver's door was always closed, even when open, so the programming wouldn't work. They said come back when you fix that sensor. They were able to program a valet key with that condition, yet not a master key. It doesn't surprise me that Lexus would have multiple sensors reporting the same function (door open/closed), with all the things like proximity lighting, keyless remote, interior lighting, etc.
Old 07-21-18, 03:48 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sbagdon
Toyota claimed that the ECM was hearing from a sensor that the driver's door was always closed, even when open, so the programming wouldn't work. They said come back when you fix that sensor. They were able to program a valet key with that condition, yet not a master key. It doesn't surprise me that Lexus would have multiple sensors reporting the same function (door open/closed), with all the things like proximity lighting, keyless remote, interior lighting, etc.
I know on the door lock actuators they have position sensors on them. I just changed a non working actuator this weekend because the key fob was not working at times when I hit the unlock/lock and also it would sometimes not unlock/lock.

Do all 4 of your door lock actuators on all 4 doors work when you unlock/lock your Lexus?
Old 07-24-18, 01:21 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

Originally Posted by shwalker07
I know on the door lock actuators they have position sensors on them. I just changed a non working actuator this weekend because the key fob was not working at times when I hit the unlock/lock and also it would sometimes not unlock/lock.

Do all 4 of your door lock actuators on all 4 doors work when you unlock/lock your Lexus?
When using the interior button, they will all unlock/lock.
When using the outside key, they will all unlock/lock.
The keyfob unlock works, yet the lock doesn't... the light doesn't light up, so presume it's the fob.

Does that help?

Quick Reply: KEY PROGRAMMING for 98-05 gs300 400 430