Notices
GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

KEY PROGRAMMING for 98-05 gs300 400 430

Old 07-27-18, 01:54 PM
sbagdon
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Keys set, and lessons learned

Finally got the key programmed today!

Transponder: I could get the ECM in to programming mode (security light stays out, after removing working master key), yet it would never start blinking, after inserting the new key. Decided to try again today, and still no blinking. Then thought... just try the darn thing, maybe it was programmed during these 50 attempts, and I missed it. And it worked! Why? Best guess, when we took the key in to the dealership to have them program the transponder and remote, they said since they couldn't program the remote, they weren't going to charge me... yet they failed to tell me that they had programmed the transponder first, and I failed to ever check if they did. Super-duh. Lesson learned: if the key won't program, maybe the key is already programmed. Started the car just fine.

Remote: victim of the "actuators are weak, lock not going all the way to full-lock position, and the KRE system thinks nothing happened". Lesson learned: close doors, remote lock all doors, then manually push all (4) lock-rockers to full lock position. Then do the manual-unlock, open-door, key in/out, manual lock/unlock 5x, close/open-door, manual lock/unlock 5x, key in-ON-out. And the locks finally did their single lock/unlock, to show in programming mode. Also victim of double lock/unlock while programming, took two tries, first try held the lock/unlock button too long. Second try, quick lock/unlock, then lock, and got the single lock/unlock to indicate success.

So... make sure your key hasn't been programmed all this time, 20yr old cars will have old actuators that require manual lock/unlock, and it might take more then one try to get the remote programmed.

Last edited by sbagdon; 07-31-18 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-11-18, 07:50 PM
wbmx1981
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RPrescott View Post
I was about to give up on programming the remote for my new key after I couldn't get into program mode (door locks never cycled), but I found somewhere else (not on CL) the procedure called for manually cycling the driver's door lock instead of using the switch. I believe the problem is that if your door lock actuators are worn out (as all of mine are...), the electric lock switch won't work in this procedure. Must have something to do with the alarm not arming unless all the doors are locked.

Anyhow, manually locked all the doors first, then proceeded by manually locking and unlocking the driver's door during the applicable steps and SUCCESS. the door locks cycled and I programmed the key
The key to this was making sure all the doors are locked and manually cycling the drivers door while the other doors remained locked.

I tried using the electronic switch but my actuators couldnt keep up with all of the cycles over and over and would not allow me to get in “programming mode”.

Its a old post but still relevant today. It worked for me!

Last edited by wbmx1981; 10-13-18 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-13-18, 12:39 AM
clubcaner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx for sharing...
Old 11-12-18, 06:57 AM
Jdan757
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xfea View Post
There is a locksmith on eBay...1010keys, that will pre-cut OEM (DENSO) keys, compete with battery, and ship to you.

All you do is email a photo of the existing key (both sides), and within a few days..perfect OEM cut keys.

I did this last year for my 2001 GS300...it cost $17.99 for two (free shipping).
(Two cut DENSO keys with MAXELL batteries)

He also will sell the pre-cut key with the chip (new OEM never programmed) for around $22.00.

It WORKS...and is far far cheaper than LEXUS dealer prices....

Here is a link to his eBay store:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/1010keys?_tr...53.m2749.l2754

or

http://www.ebay.com/usr/1010keys?_tr...53.m2749.l2754

Hope this helps....
Iíd stay away from 1010keys, they sent me key with a faulty remote board, the trunk release wouldnít work, it does with my master key so I know itís not a vehicle problem. The guy there is a real d...khead to deal with, saying it must be on your end, go elsewhere and save yourself frustration.
Old 06-02-19, 06:54 PM
JH48
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

How come after the 5 times lock and unlocked closed door and opened door. Then all my windows and sun roof all open up? I continue with the process doesnt work.
Old 06-02-19, 07:43 PM
lexo98
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JH48 View Post
How come after the 5 times lock and unlocked closed door and opened door. Then all my windows and sun roof all open up? I continue with the process doesnt work.
Sounds like you drivers door lock is sticking. Why donít you try the manual lock unlock method. Donít use the power door lock switch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KEY PROGRAMMING for 98-05 gs300 400 430

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: