GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

KEY PROGRAMMING for 98-05 gs300 400 430

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-15, 10:25 AM
gs400lover
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I have a 98 gs400 which will start my car "but" the remote features do not work on the master key. I have replaced the battery in the key which previously not working and the red light on the remote now flashes when I press the buttons on it but the doors do not unlock/lock etc, is this what these steps are for? Thanks
Old 05-21-15, 01:51 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ntyravgjo
I obtained a new key fob after my last was damaged. I successfully programmed the locks and trunk with the procedure in this forum (above). The car; however, does not start. It lights up but does not turn over. I followed part two of the procedure with no luck. I am using a working key (car starts) as a master. The security light begins to blink after step 6 but do not go off. I've tried several times. Can anyone help?
A couple reasons I have found for this -

- As mentioned, MAKE SURE is is a master key (watch the security light carefully, the light must turn off IMMEDIATELY when you insert the key, if it stays on even for a second or longer, you do not have a master)

- I had the hood popped once and another time the trunk and it would not program, if you have faulty latches etc. it may not work, ALL doors, trunk and hood must be shut ( and the car must "see" them as shut)

- Watch which step the light begins to blink, if it starts early it has failed.

- Be patient - I've had it "take" after a few seconds up to a couple minutes - it can seem like an eternity (for whatever reason, the exact same procedure seems 10X easier on my 4runner)
Old 05-21-15, 01:52 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gs400lover
Hello, I have a 98 gs400 which will start my car "but" the remote features do not work on the master key. I have replaced the battery in the key which previously not working and the red light on the remote now flashes when I press the buttons on it but the doors do not unlock/lock etc, is this what these steps are for? Thanks
Did you read the VERY first post in this thread?
Old 05-21-15, 11:18 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

I also wanted to add that there are specific instructions for erasing lost remotes, finding out how many remotes are programmed to the car and erasing all remotes except the one currently being programmed.

I knew about these but had a hard time finding them recently so I will post them again.

** remember, except for the initial closing of the door and the opening and closing while getting into program mode, the driver door remains open ( this one got me at first).

PLEASE NOTE: When you begin the programming sequence to sync your remote to your installed remote keyless entry (RKE) system, you MUST HAVE ALL OF YOUR REMOTES (Including PREVIOUSLY PROGRAMMED remote(s)) to be programmed with you at the time of programming…
PREVIOUSLY PROGRAMMED REMOTES WILL ERASE AT THIS TIME.
(This is a safety feature which prevents anyone else from accessing your vehicle.)
UP TO 4 REMOTES (total) may be programmed to your vehicle’s system at one time.

KEYLESS REMOTE PROGRAMMING PROCEDURE:
AT TIME OF PROGRAMMING:
ALL remotes to be programmed and/or reprogrammed MUST BE PRESENT.

1. Close and lock all doors, unlock DRIVER’S DOOR AND OPEN, ALL OTHER DOORS CLOSED – KEY REMOVED FROM IGNITION SWITCH

2. Place key into ignition, remove it

3. Press LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the vehicle door lock switch, at one second intervals 5 times.

4. Shut driver door

5. RE-OPEN DRIVER’S DOOR

6 Press LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the vehicle door lock switch, at one second intervals 5 times
7. Insert key into ignition

8. TURN IGNITION ON THEN OFF ONCE TO PROGRAM A KEY REMOTE CODE WHILE RETAINING THE ORIGINAL CODES OR 2 TIMES TO PROGRAM A KEY REMOTE CODE WHILE ERASING THE ORIGINAL CODES. 3 TIMES TO CHECK HOW MANY REMOTES ARE CURRENTLY REGISTERED OR 5 TIMES TO ERASE ALL REGISTERED CODES

9. Remove key from ignition…
- System should now lock & unlock vehicle. Once, twice, or five times depending which mode has been selected - one to four times, slowly indicating # of keys registered.

10. Push & release lock & unlock buttons together - System should now lock and unlock vehicle once to confirm registration, twice to indicate registration has failed.

11. If required *** Additional remotes can now be programmed by pressing the LOCK button on them with a cycle of the locks to confirm each.

12. To exit programming mode: Close driver’s door or insert ignition key.

I don't actually like the fact that remotes can be added without erasing the other keys because anyone can just add a remote and unless you are smart enough to check (and want to go through the hassle) you'd never know.

*** I JUST did this today and it works great!

Last edited by angus; 05-21-15 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-23-15, 02:13 AM
MyGSLife
Driver School Candidate

Works for me! thanks
Old 05-23-15, 10:23 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by swat1727
in case someone needs to add another key there is the instruction. two parts. key and remote

KEY PROGRAMMING:

REMOTE PROGRAMMING:

1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove. Do not turn it on.
3. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
4. Close and open drivers door.
5. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON" , turn off and remove.
7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.

If the door locks do not cycle (lock and unlock) by themselves then the car isn’t in programming mode and you must start over.

8. On the remote, press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.
9. On the remote, press the LOCK button for no more than 1 second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted.
IF the locks cycle twice it has failed.
The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didn’t receive a good signal from the remote. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing steps 8 and 9. 2) Don’t hold the remote buttons down as long.
As long as the car is still in programming mode you can keep trying steps 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.
After you get the remote to program then continue on with step 10.
10. Close and open door to end programming procedure.

1. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
2. Press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
6. Press and release the gas pedal one time.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.
NOTE: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will come on and start to blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.
If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode. If you can not get your car to go into programming mode make sure you are using a master key and not a valet key. If you have a master key then you will probably need to perform this procedure more quickly.
I don' t know if someone asked you question before. If this program also works for the IS300? My bother has an IS300 2001 and he wants to know if this program also works on his car. I told him that I did not see why not, but he wants to make sure. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-25-15, 12:12 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mcon
I don' t know if someone asked you question before. If this program also works for the IS300? My bother has an IS300 2001 and he wants to know if this program also works on his car. I told him that I did not see why not, but he wants to make sure. Thanks for your help.
Try the IS forum
Old 06-30-15, 07:42 AM
GS3KID
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried sifting through this thread for the answer but can you reprogram using this method for a used key? I've seen a few for sale here and there and if this would work to reprogram the transponder that would be awesome!
Old 09-23-15, 07:37 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

To anyone looking to program a new key or remote, I purchased one off ebay and got it to work on my brother's GS300. Here's a video on how it was programmed:

The remote works merely okay, the range isn't nearly as good as an OEM remote and sometimes you've got to double press it to make sure it actually un/locked the car. Paid $30 + taxes and shipping, and $20 at local Lexus dealership to cut.

Now for my ES330 I will buy an OEM key for its guts and change the shell and have it recut, since that eBay remote only intermittently unlocks the doors.
Old 09-26-15, 05:29 PM
Goosesedan
Rookie

Default NO Master Key

so my question is this, i just bought a Lexus Gs 300 and it only came with 1 valet key, the key doesn't open the trunk, how do i get a new key to be able to start the car, open the trunk, and keyless entry without going to the dealership?. Thanks
Old 09-28-15, 04:26 PM
tfromy
Driver School Candidate

I used this to program the transponder for my 99 LS 400 key I bought off of E-Bay
Old 09-28-15, 07:40 PM
Goosesedan
Rookie

please someone help..........bump!!
Old 11-27-15, 04:38 PM
paigemarie
Driver School Candidate

How do you know if its the master key or not ? I bought the car of somebody so I'm not to sure .and if it isn't the master key do I have to get a new one ?
Old 01-07-16, 05:23 PM
Justmeez
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Confusion

Quick question:

I was given 2 keys with my 01 GS3. An OEM black key (no remote) and a third party remote.
The oem key is programmed for the ignition and is the one I use while the third party doesn't.
I thought I had a plain master key because the oem key starts the car, opens the glove box and opens the trunk. But when I insert the key into the ignition the security light is solid for a second before it goes off.

This indicates its a valet key? I thought they couldn't be used to open the gloves box and trunk?
Old 02-17-16, 08:57 AM
2k4CamkilA
Intermediate

MY CAR DOESN'T GO INTO PROGRAMMING MODE. IT NEVER CYCLES THE LOCKS. i'M DOING THE SAME WAY THE WRITE UP SAYS. I EVEN WATCH SPEEDKAR'S VIDEO ON YOUTUBE WHILE I DID. MY CAR NEVER CYCLED THE LOCKS. BEFORE HAND I JUST PROGRAMMED THE NEW KEY TO THE IGNITION

Quick Reply: KEY PROGRAMMING for 98-05 gs300 400 430