GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Steering rack help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-11, 04:37 PM
cmara2k9
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering rack help

Is anyone here using a rebuilt or aftermarket steering rack?

Im wondering because im pretty sure that i need a new steering rack because ive replaced almost everything in the front suspension except the rack and the tierods.

So can anyone tell me if replacing the rack with one from like ebay or rock auto would actually even make a difference in sloppiness and wandering or would it be pointless

p.s. Ive changed lbjs, endlinks, both caster arms and upper control arms
Old 10-26-11, 04:38 PM
phillygs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try the tierods first
Old 10-26-11, 04:43 PM
cmara2k9
Pole Position

I had my car aligned about a month ago and the specs were fine

wouldnt they have noticed if something was wrong with the inner tie rods or would it be difficult for them to tell?
Old 10-26-11, 06:26 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cmara2k9
Is anyone here using a rebuilt or aftermarket steering rack?

Im wondering because im pretty sure that i need a new steering rack because ive replaced almost everything in the front suspension except the rack and the tierods.

So can anyone tell me if replacing the rack with one from like ebay or rock auto would actually even make a difference in sloppiness and wandering or would it be pointless

p.s. Ive changed lbjs, endlinks, both caster arms and upper control arms

The issue that causes steering rack slop/looseness over time is the worn rubber bushings that hold the rack in place. Rack rarely needs to be replaced, rather just the bushings. It's definitely a maintenance item that should be done as the car creeps to100k miles or gets past it. I have a 2002 GS430 with 112K miles and your situation reminds me of mine. Loose steering, wandering,sloppy rack,alignment always going out. I replaced the whole front suspension just about (upper/lower control arms/caster arms, lower ball joints, outer tie rods,shocks). Still didn't resolve it.

2 months ago i ordered steering rack bushings from Sewell Lexus(a modified stiffer polyurethane bushing remodeled for the GS due to the rubber bushings wearing and causing steering rack slop). These are genuine Lexus rack bushings made for the GS. Also ordered inner tie rods because these are a must replacement and you can't really tell if their bad or not underneath the rubber boot. Replace these parts and get an alignment and you will be a happy camper Car will feel like new, ride better and track straight.

Here are the rack bushings $31.96 from Sewell Lexus:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2002/4558.html

Here are the inner tie rods $103 per side discounted for clublexus members:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S430-2002.html

END SUB-ASSEMBLY, STEERING RACK Part No. 4550339155 Quantity 2

Sewell Lexus is the best place to order genuine Lexus parts and they are much cheaper than the dealer. If you register on the Sewell Lexus website and state that you are a clublexus member, you get an additional discount on top of the the lowered prices.
Old 10-26-11, 06:53 PM
cmara2k9
Pole Position

Thats the kind of answer i was looking for^^^^^^^

So basically I should just do the inner and outer tie rods and get the sewell bushings?

I have a 98 gs300 with 89k is it common for the racks to go bad on these because i'm hoping the problem is alittle less serious that the WHOLE STEERING RACK but i don't wanna replace the tie rods and get rack bushings if they aren't gonna help at all

I JUST WANT MY CAR TO STOP WANDERING AND STOP FEELING SLOPPY
Old 10-26-11, 07:19 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cmara2k9
Thats the kind of answer i was looking for^^^^^^^

So basically I should just do the inner and outer tie rods and get the sewell bushings?

I have a 98 gs300 with 89k is it common for the racks to go bad on these because i'm hoping the problem is alittle less serious that the WHOLE STEERING RACK but i don't wanna replace the tie rods and get rack bushings if they aren't gonna help at all

I JUST WANT MY CAR TO STOP WANDERING AND STOP FEELING SLOPPY
Yeah man thats what i would do. You're almost there, you've replaced the whole front suspension just like me EXCEPT for what is the culprit. I was throwing parts at the car too aimlessly from reading threads on here on what the problem would be. It's those rack bushings and inner tie rods. Especially on a 98 GS getting close to 100K those rubber rack bushings are probably deteriorating and causing the rack to move which is where the slop is coming from. You DO NOT need to replace your steering rack! Thats what the dealer will tell you because that's how they make money! That's what they told me. $1700 for a new rack because they couldn't find the bushings for the rack to order. But the rack bushings are $30! You do the math.lol.

Rack bushings+inner tie rods+outer tie rods=guaranteed happiness
Old 10-26-11, 08:53 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i need to do this as well, however i need new caster arms. i wish i could getr just the bushings
Old 10-26-11, 09:08 PM
cmara2k9
Pole Position

Sounds good to me....thanks
Old 10-26-11, 10:11 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by milellie11
The issue that causes steering rack slop/looseness over time is the worn rubber bushings that hold the rack in place. Rack rarely needs to be replaced, rather just the bushings. It's definitely a maintenance item that should be done as the car creeps to100k miles or gets past it. I have a 2002 GS430 with 112K miles and your situation reminds me of mine. Loose steering, wandering,sloppy rack,alignment always going out. I replaced the whole front suspension just about (upper/lower control arms/caster arms, lower ball joints, outer tie rods,shocks). Still didn't resolve it.

2 months ago i ordered steering rack bushings from Sewell Lexus(a modified stiffer polyurethane bushing remodeled for the GS due to the rubber bushings wearing and causing steering rack slop). These are genuine Lexus rack bushings made for the GS. Also ordered inner tie rods because these are a must replacement and you can't really tell if their bad or not underneath the rubber boot. Replace these parts and get an alignment and you will be a happy camper Car will feel like new, ride better and track straight.

Sewell Lexus is the best place to order genuine Lexus parts and they are much cheaper than the dealer. If you register on the Sewell Lexus website and state that you are a clublexus member, you get an additional discount on top of the the lowered prices.
Since the steering rack bushing can cause looseness, sloppy steering and such. Could this be the cause of our shaking problem?
Old 10-27-11, 04:44 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Since the steering rack bushing can cause looseness, sloppy steering and such. Could this be the cause of our shaking problem?
Possibly. Of course other factors can contribute to the wheel shake as well (tires, wheel balance etc.) and fortunately i haven't had this issue on my 430 (i have read that many 400 owners had this issue), but i would start with the rack bushings and inner tie rods first. Those inners really do make a difference and are a MAJOR factor in steering. Always start with the cheapest parts first. Lexus can't even diagnose these cars properly it doesn't make any sense.

I did notice on the packaging of my rack bushings that i ordered from Sewell that it stated "Problem Solving Rack Bushings", so Lexus must have at some point noted that the stock bushings that are in the GS have a problem or could be improved upon.
Old 10-27-11, 05:03 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

GREAT, DETAILED, RESPONSE!!! I love responses like this...someone willing to help out and provide links for the OP and future inquiries....instead of saying "Search". I just added this to my Favorites on my comp.
Old 10-27-11, 05:05 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Yeah man thats what i would do. You're almost there, you've replaced the whole front suspension just like me EXCEPT for what is the culprit. I was throwing parts at the car too aimlessly from reading threads on here on what the problem would be. It's those rack bushings and inner tie rods. Especially on a 98 GS getting close to 100K those rubber rack bushings are probably deteriorating and causing the rack to move which is where the slop is coming from. You DO NOT need to replace your steering rack! Thats what the dealer will tell you because that's how they make money! That's what they told me. $1700 for a new rack because they couldn't find the bushings for the rack to order. But the rack bushings are $30! You do the math.lol.

Rack bushings+inner tie rods+outer tie rods=guaranteed happiness
I don't have these symptoms yet, but at least I know what to do to fix in the future.
Old 10-27-11, 09:59 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
GREAT, DETAILED, RESPONSE!!! I love responses like this...someone willing to help out and provide links for the OP and future inquiries....instead of saying "Search". I just added this to my Favorites on my comp.

Thanks

I get more enjoyment out of helping someone else rather than simply typing "Search". Really helps to promote a sense of community here so visitors and new users won't think Lexus owners are nothing but selfish stuck up ******. Sure he could have searched for steering looseness but then he could have gotten a million threads leading him on a wild goose chase dealing with alignment, tie rods, Daizen control arm kit etc. Throwing money and parts at the car! Nothing sucks more than spending your hard earned time and money at a shop replacing something that isn't the culprit then driving off with the same problem. I've been there and want to help other folks not go through the same thing i went through.

Old 10-27-11, 10:02 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Thanks

I get more enjoyment out of helping someone else rather than simply typing "Search". Really helps to promote a sense of community here so visitors and new users won't think Lexus owners are nothing but selfish stuck up ******. Sure he could have searched for steering looseness but then he could have gotten a million threads leading him on a wild goose chase dealing with alignment, tie rods, Daizen control arm kit etc. Throwing money and parts at the car! Nothing sucks more than spending your hard earned time and money at a shop replacing something that isn't the culprit then driving off with the same problem. I've been there and want to help other folks not go through the same thing i went through.

You know this could actually go viral if you did a DIY on this and it could be a sticky.
Old 10-27-11, 10:23 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
You know this could actually go viral if you did a DIY on this and it could be a sticky.
I didn't actually do the work myself as I took it to a shop, but here are some DIY links:

Guide on Replacing the Steering Rack Bushings:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...k-bushing.html

Video on Replacing Inner Tie Rods

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MJOt...feature=relmfu

Video on Replacing Outer Tie Rod Ends:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o41XW...feature=relmfu

Get a good 4 wheel alignment afterwards