GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

4XX owners be honest........

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-02, 12:44 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Toog4me
So I was right... Thanks for clearing that up!
LOL No problem
Old 08-30-02, 01:19 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Toog4me

Would you not think that he works for SRT and not Toyomoto??? Unless someone is being sarcastic towards me?
if i was Mo i would fire the guy. the nerve of some people
Old 08-30-02, 01:20 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by JAC JZS

LOL No problem
CLASSIC!!!!!
Old 08-30-02, 02:16 AM
diamondgs4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Honestly Spending !

Hi there,

Sometimes I do think I should not have bought the 4XX which give me a lot of different look from company parking lot.

I have to have my GS debaged to blend into the other GSs (2-300,1-400). Still, it gets a lot of attention because my 4XX is too shine and too clean looking.

Anyone want to trade-in their 4XX ? For a Z car maybe !
Old 08-30-02, 02:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Re: Honestly Spending !

Originally posted by diamondgs4
Hi there,

Sometimes I do think I should not have bought the 4XX which give me a lot of different look from company parking lot.

I have to have my GS debaged to blend into the other GSs (2-300,1-400). Still, it gets a lot of attention because my 4XX is too shine and too clean looking.

Anyone want to trade-in their 4XX ? For a Z car maybe !
same here man, i hear you. i am no where up high in the hierachy in the company, but i am driving the gs4. there are only two other gs4 in the company, one by a senior director and the other one our ceo..... my car is blue, very clean and very shine, and that only makes things worse..... that's why i always have to keep very low profile about it
Old 08-30-02, 02:26 AM
JZS160 GS430
ClubLexus Paid Member

Originally posted by BLiu
Talk is so cheap though...

How many GS300 owners have ACTUALLY done the full turbo mod and use it as a daily driver??? Not very many...
Well said, but no offense, you're contradicting yourself. True, not many GS300 owners have done the full turbo system (maybe a handful), but how many GS400 owners have actually put over 400 HP on the N/A 1UZ-FE (I haven't seen one yet) or slap on a SRT supercharger (or twin turbo)?

Originally posted by BLiu
However, you have TWO options for the GS400, build a NA motor putting out over 400HP or slap on the SRT supercharger, both of which are possible.
Oh yeah you forgot to add the third option: The SRT Twin Turbo kit (when it becomes available).

Last edited by JZS160 GS430; 08-30-02 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-30-02, 03:46 AM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Ahhh...the inline 6 vs the v8 debate. Here's my take on it. The Supra inline 6 is probably one of the strongest engines in the world and you don't really have to do anything to it even when pushing 600RWHP+. This is not the case with our V8. The V8 doesn't have as strong pistons or headgaskets. Connecting rods are still questionable. The Supra engine has been around for about 9 years and counting. The mods for the inline 6 are far less expensive also. With all this said, it might look like the inline 6 is the weapon of choice, but let's not make that decision yet. Why? The V8 has been around for only 4 years and given a few more weeks, we will see figures well into the 500-600RWHP range. Add the extra 5 year head jump the inline 6 had and we will see what happpens then. Now, does it cost more money to get the power out of the V8 as of now, of course. However, the potential for some insane RWHP is much greater in the V8 then the inline 6. This is also why the HKS Supra uses the toyota V8 with twin turbos producing well over 1500RWHP and rumored 1900RWHP on high boost. I have yet to see an inline 6 dish out these figures after 9 years of R&D. I also spoke with several top class tunners from the US and all I can say is that one of them is building a 1600RWHP drag car with the 4.0 V8 in it. The engine will be stroked to 4.9 and will be basically a race engine. I will not reveal any info as this is strictly confidential and I probably should not have even mentioned anything. Expect to see this car debut next summer. Another issue up on the board is that there is always a tradeoff between high HP and lag in the inline 6. And please don't say lag is just a shift away because if you drove in a T88 and a SP57 single Supra, you would know which car is more of a practical street car and see exactly what I'm talking about. The V8 in the GS4 practically eliminates the issue of lag. How does 500RWHP at 3600RPM sound? Impossible? Maybe not for too long Another overlooked thing that is kind of big in my book is that the 3.0 inline 6 can only go so far on pump gas. Assuming the best case scenario and putting the hype aside, you will probably not get over 550-600RWHP on pump gas without touching the engine. Now, how many times are you gonna be driving on the highway and say to someone, "Hey, hold on a second, let me pull over and put some race gas in." Now, I'm not saying that the GS4 can push these figures on pump gas either, however, if you want a RERLIABLE 600RWHP+ car, on pump gas, both of the engines will have to be worked on. In the end, you will be able to push higher HP on the V8 with a lowered compression. Maybe the mods won't be as extensive on the inline 6 a opposed to the V8, but I hope you see my point. Also, keep in mind that the inline 6 in our GS300 is not as bulletproof as the inline 6 in the Supra, but that's another story.

To sum this up quickly. The V8 has more potential for power including awesome low end. It requires mods to it's internals much sooner than an inline 6 and will probably cost little more $ to mod it, but if you want a true daily driver on pump gas and over 600RWHP, then you will need to dig into the inline 6 also. Expect to see some insane V8 Supra transplants in the not so far future. Originally, I thought I made a mistake by getting the V8, but now I have a different opinion. Finally, the "Holy Sh%^" factor........Inline 6 with a single or a V8 twin turbo.

Last edited by Mariusz; 08-30-02 at 03:57 AM.
Old 08-30-02, 07:32 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by jzs160 gs4ngs3
.....but how many GS400 owners have actually put over 400 HP on the N/A 1UZ-FE (I haven't seen one yet) or slap on a SRT supercharger (or twin turbo)?
Yeah, you're right, but we also don't run off at the mouth about it 24/7 either.

edit: M, great post BTW; very informative

Last edited by ///MDex; 08-30-02 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-30-02, 12:12 PM
JZS160 GS430
ClubLexus Paid Member

Originally posted by Dex

Yeah, you're right, but we also don't run off at the mouth about it 24/7 either.

edit: M, great post BTW; very informative
So tell me, who does run their mouth off about "it" 24/7?

"It" = forced induction in general (high power).

Last edited by JZS160 GS430; 08-30-02 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-30-02, 01:32 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by jzs160 gs4ngs3

So tell me, who does run their mouth off about "it" 24/7?

"It" = forced induction in general (high power).
Sorry, my list is at home; I can get it for you later.

I was referring to it as the I6.

As a preemptive statement, let's keep this tread in good spirits, and not into a 6 vs 8 flamethrower.
Old 08-31-02, 05:41 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LexusRules
i think the reason that u dont see TT GS300 guys is because, all the guys that plan on making their GS go fast either:

bought an IS300
bought a GS400

or.. got the GS3.. realized there is nothing, and gave up!
i had my $1k deposit on the 430 and while waiting 4 weeks later for delivery, since these were still coming from Japan then, i found out that someone was planning on offering 300 turbos. given that potential and after being pissed about the wait that was supposed to be a week, i cancelled my deposit and got a nav gs300 a few days later at another dealer.

so i did not buy the 300 and subsequently want more. i bought it knowing the initial limitation, and the long-run benefit. this is my first real car and i'm gonna slurge all i can while still very young. its just too damn bad this "soon to be turbo for the 300" took nearly two years after my purchase when my money has been spent elsewhere and my stocks aren't worth a lick.

a turbo will come. maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but next summer....
Old 08-31-02, 11:17 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Mariusz
Ahhh...the inline 6 vs the v8 debate. Here's my take on it. The Supra inline 6 is probably one of the strongest engines in the world and you don't really have to do anything to it even when pushing 600RWHP+. This is not the case with our V8. The V8 doesn't have as strong pistons or headgaskets. Connecting rods are still questionable. The Supra engine has been around for about 9 years and counting. The mods for the inline 6 are far less expensive also. With all this said, it might look like the inline 6 is the weapon of choice, but let's not make that decision yet. Why? The V8 has been around for only 4 years and given a few more weeks, we will see figures well into the 500-600RWHP range. Add the extra 5 year head jump the inline 6 had and we will see what happpens then. Now, does it cost more money to get the power out of the V8 as of now, of course. However, the potential for some insane RWHP is much greater in the V8 then the inline 6. This is also why the HKS Supra uses the toyota V8 with twin turbos producing well over 1500RWHP and rumored 1900RWHP on high boost. I have yet to see an inline 6 dish out these figures after 9 years of R&D. I also spoke with several top class tunners from the US and all I can say is that one of them is building a 1600RWHP drag car with the 4.0 V8 in it. The engine will be stroked to 4.9 and will be basically a race engine. I will not reveal any info as this is strictly confidential and I probably should not have even mentioned anything. Expect to see this car debut next summer. Another issue up on the board is that there is always a tradeoff between high HP and lag in the inline 6. And please don't say lag is just a shift away because if you drove in a T88 and a SP57 single Supra, you would know which car is more of a practical street car and see exactly what I'm talking about. The V8 in the GS4 practically eliminates the issue of lag. How does 500RWHP at 3600RPM sound? Impossible? Maybe not for too long Another overlooked thing that is kind of big in my book is that the 3.0 inline 6 can only go so far on pump gas. Assuming the best case scenario and putting the hype aside, you will probably not get over 550-600RWHP on pump gas without touching the engine. Now, how many times are you gonna be driving on the highway and say to someone, "Hey, hold on a second, let me pull over and put some race gas in." Now, I'm not saying that the GS4 can push these figures on pump gas either, however, if you want a RERLIABLE 600RWHP+ car, on pump gas, both of the engines will have to be worked on. In the end, you will be able to push higher HP on the V8 with a lowered compression. Maybe the mods won't be as extensive on the inline 6 a opposed to the V8, but I hope you see my point. Also, keep in mind that the inline 6 in our GS300 is not as bulletproof as the inline 6 in the Supra, but that's another story.

To sum this up quickly. The V8 has more potential for power including awesome low end. It requires mods to it's internals much sooner than an inline 6 and will probably cost little more $ to mod it, but if you want a true daily driver on pump gas and over 600RWHP, then you will need to dig into the inline 6 also. Expect to see some insane V8 Supra transplants in the not so far future. Originally, I thought I made a mistake by getting the V8, but now I have a different opinion. Finally, the "Holy Sh%^" factor........Inline 6 with a single or a V8 twin turbo.
i have one sentance that will destroy everything you just said (in a nice way of course)

Top Secret Has A Skyline With 2000hp.

well im not sure if its top secret, but some JDM tuner did make 2000 with the RB engnie. the 2JZ and RB are so close, it can be done.
Old 08-31-02, 11:51 AM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Originally posted by LexusRules

i have one sentance that will destroy everything you just said (in a nice way of course)

Top Secret Has A Skyline With 2000hp.

well im not sure if its top secret, but some JDM tuner did make 2000 with the RB engnie. the 2JZ and RB are so close, it can be done.
Some JDM tuner has a 6000HP V8 too. Lol. JK. I'm not familiar with ANY Skyline that is putting down 2000HP. And even if there was this miraculous skyline with 2000HP, wouldn't it have a high drive terrain loss of......say 35% , making this a 1300RWHP miraculous Skyline.

PS. Here's a listing of the fastest skylines in Japan.
http://www.exvitermini.com/records.htm Definitely some insane times.
Old 08-31-02, 12:00 PM
LexFather

In the USA, with speed limits galore and cops ready to enforce them, someone please explain to me why you need a 600hp, 800hp, 1200hp, 2000hp or a 6000hp car?

Fact is we might have 1 maybe 2 people here who bought a GS 300 and turbo'd it. GS 400 is FAST enough. Wanna drag it, GS 300 with all the turbo toys is for you
Old 08-31-02, 05:30 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
In the USA, with speed limits galore and cops ready to enforce them, someone please explain to me why you need a 600hp, 800hp, 1200hp, 2000hp or a 6000hp car?

Fact is we might have 1 maybe 2 people here who bought a GS 300 and turbo'd it. GS 400 is FAST enough. Wanna drag it, GS 300 with all the turbo toys is for you
i'm gonna do it just for the hell of doing it. i drive like a grandma anyway, with two tickets looming

Quick Reply: 4XX owners be honest........