GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

True ECU

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-01, 01:04 AM
RacingAristo

Default True ECU

As I'm looking over several Japanese tuners' sites, I couldn't find a "true ECU" that controls not only the fuel/air ratio but also ignition time, remove speed limit, increase red line, and such.

Is it really that hard to crack Lexus code, install a patch or something?

Gracias.
Old 11-22-01, 08:00 AM
WHITEGS400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics

Hello Racing Aristo I would love to see some pics of your car. ALso why are you selling the Swift Racing Intake with the ECU?

Thank you.
Old 11-22-01, 09:08 AM
ceoart
Pole Position

Cool

Who ever really cracks the code and sells a ECU that does that will have most of us buying it. Maybe one of the Lexus Engineers will read this and leak this information out to the company that makes the BMW ECU. Would be nice if we could buy one just like the BMW customers can.
Old 11-22-01, 11:25 AM
v300
Lead Lap

Default Re: True ECU

Originally posted by RacingAristo
As I'm looking over several Japanese tuners' sites, I couldn't find a "true ECU" that controls not only the fuel/air ratio but also ignition time, remove speed limit, increase red line, and such.

Is it really that hard to crack Lexus code, install a patch or something?

Gracias.
RacingAristo,

In response the standard US GS ECUs they are all 32-bit Nippon Denso engine control units with self diagnostics. This is the same with the JDM unit. As for cracking "the code" or more or less reading it Tadashi of G-Force has tried. I gave him mine to guinea pig. I'm pretty sure you cannot simply add a patch to the ECU but you need to flash the ROM... and I don't mean propping your trenchcoat.

There are piggyback ECUs in Japan, however, they are limited in their capability to fully control RPM points with respect to air-fuel, timing, etc. HKS does have a stand alone computer that also doubles as a piggyback called the F-Con V-Pro. This is the only computer I know of that can delete factory sensors and codes such as speed limiter, 02 sensors, etc. I don't know if you want to manually allow a higher rev. limit on a stock bottom end but it can do that too. It also allows a miss-fire systems to keep large turbos to spool up in a matter or a couple seconds. However, as stand alone the unit does not have the auto tranny map, therefore, you are forced to use a manual tranny. As for adapting the unit to US GS's... there are no wiring harness applications available... unless you persuade HKS and GReddy (e-Manage) there is a large market... the size of Honda-Acura sub-compact.

By the way, if you are not going to build the bottom end or use some type of forced induction why do you want an upgraded ECU when you can just get an A'Pex-I Super AFC or HKS Super AFR?
Old 11-22-01, 01:27 PM
RacingAristo

v300,

Thanks for your information. First of all, who says that I'm not gonna use some type of forced induction. ah~ Second, please check your PM. Some stuff is better if we keep it in private.
Old 11-22-01, 10:04 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ceoart
Who ever really cracks the code and sells a ECU that does that will have most of us buying it. Maybe one of the Lexus Engineers will read this and leak this information out to the company that makes the BMW ECU. Would be nice if we could buy one just like the BMW customers can.
I think the WR ECU already does that...unless you don't believe it. I for one, know and believe in the WR ECU and I have it in my car. Read my previous post...So what is everybody waiting for? Go get the WR ECU!!! I think your statement should be more like "whoever really cracks the code and then sells it for cheap will have most buying it"...
Old 11-22-01, 10:35 PM
RacingAristo

Brent,

The only 2 things that concern about me is (1) the price (2) the availablility of tuning

MSRP $750 is a little too much for me. Usually I'd not expect to pay MSRP but even with 15 people GP, Weapon R gives only 10% discount. That really set me off. If this ECU really does whatever they claim, with lower prices, I believe lots of guys would jump in in a heart beat.

Unlike S-AFC and other similiar products, nobody can tune Weapon R's ECU except Weapon R. Well, most of us don't live in the bay area and couldn't take our cars in for the professional dyno tuning. This is the main reason stopping me from purchasing their ECU. I could let XS Engineering, Area 51 and other local reputable shops to the tuning. Plus it's easier to get rid of it since it could reuse on many other vehicles as long as Honda exists.

There is only one thing to do. Wait and See.
Old 11-22-01, 10:58 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Brent,

The only 2 things that concern about me is (1) the price (2) the availablility of tuning

MSRP $750 is a little too much for me. Usually I'd not expect to pay MSRP but even with 15 people GP, Weapon R gives only 10% discount. That really set me off. If this ECU really does whatever they claim, with lower prices, I believe lots of guys would jump in in a heart beat.

Unlike S-AFC and other similiar products, nobody can tune Weapon R's ECU except Weapon R. Well, most of us don't live in the bay area and couldn't take our cars in for the professional dyno tuning. This is the main reason stopping me from purchasing their ECU. I could let XS Engineering, Area 51 and other local reputable shops to the tuning. Plus it's easier to get rid of it since it could reuse on many other vehicles as long as Honda exists.

There is only one thing to do. Wait and See.
Dennis,

I understand your point, but, this is a NEW product. You cannot expect WR to sell their new ECU any lower. Case in point, SRT first sold their kit at almost $1000! It was only until recently that they lowered the price to $600 or so.

If you are willing to spend a couple of thousands of dollars for rims, tires or a bodykit, then what is $750 for an ECU that can give you close to 20HP and 30ftlb of torque? That is a small price to pay for that large of a performance increase. Once I get my car dynoed, then we will have one more dyno result as proof. I don't understand why you need to wait and see. It seems like you want to wait until the price goes down- which means a lot more people will have to buy it first before you. That's your choice but I personally don't think that is expensive for the amount of performance you get.

You shouldn't be too angry. Bargain shopping and Lexus products do not mix. Besides, anytime you see someone selling products at really low prices, it really screws the market. In the long run, someone who lowballs prices hurts the entire market and the customer will eventually suffer when there is eventually no availability of parts because everybody will be out of business. It may be good for the customer now to get low prices but overall, it just doesn't help the market. Ask any seller on this board and I am sure they will agree with me.

If I had to do it all over again at this present time, the ECU would be the first thing I buy before any of my other mods. I am willing to bet that the Tom's Racing ECU will be very expensive and you can't program it yourself and it's STILL not available yet (and may never be).

Frankly, I don't think we will ever see the day when a tunable ECU will be available with software so anyone can program it. That's just not good business sense. Besides, whoever sells that ECU will be in for some serious liability issues IMHO.

Brent
Old 11-23-01, 06:24 AM
Mark
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by BLiu

I think the WR ECU already does that...unless you don't believe it. I for one, know and believe in the WR ECU and I have it in my car. Read my previous post...So what is everybody waiting for? Go get the WR ECU!!! I think your statement should be more like "whoever really cracks the code and then sells it for cheap will have most buying it"...

BLiu. Do you have the WR ECU installed in your car? Judging from what you are saying it sound like this is wonderful upgrade. Is it necessary to get the intake for hp gain of 20hp and 30 torques?
Old 11-23-01, 12:33 PM
enginyr
Banned

Do we really need 330 HP?
Old 11-23-01, 12:35 PM
Mark
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by enginyr
Do we really need 330 HP?
Do we need a 3000 square feet house? Do we need a GS400. Why not a Camry. --Please don't post just to post.
Old 11-23-01, 02:47 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brent,

I can see where RA is coming from. I personally would not get something that I'm outta reach myself and is only reachable for a few people (in this case, WR ECU). I don't want something on my car that I know I can tune but just can't do it by myself or at least the people that I can trust and can easily reach.

If there's a new TEIN coilover, very nice. Electronic 50 stage height adjustment and electronic 200 stage damping adjustment. There a controller similar to the Power FC commander. All-in-one controller inside cabin. However, you can't adjust anything unless you have a password, and only TEIN has it. You have to drive to TEIN everytime you wanna adjust something.

Sounds very familiar eh? I think WR ECU might be great, but it will end up like SRT's which is a one-time adjustment deal. If I have WR intake/ECU and I get alot of power, great. I get some nice catback exhaust and wanna fine-tune it. Do I really have to drive up north to have it tuned?
Old 11-23-01, 08:10 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Cool

Originally posted by BLiu

So you are saying all you have to do is buy the WR ECU and install it to get the 30 more horsepower out of the GS430? Do you need a new intake to do this? I heard all of the intakes make lots of noise. Don't want my GS430 to sound like a Ford Mustang! Please give more information including a link to the Site where I can read more.
Old 11-23-01, 09:12 PM
RacingAristo

go to http://www.weapon-r.com
Old 11-23-01, 10:28 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Cool

go to http://www.weapon-r.com
That piggyback ECU makes me feel uneasy. Sort of like having a pacemaker for your heart. I can't imagine what my Lexus dealer would say if he saw it installed. Might void my warranty! Doesn't seem worth the risk for 30 more horsepower. Dame why can't someone really crack the factory ECU like they have for BMW

Quick Reply: True ECU