GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need IMMEDIATE help

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-01, 09:28 AM
sds292
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I need some assistance from you seasoned Lexus owners. I recently purchased a certified used (1998)Lexus from my local dealer. The condition upon deliverly was less than expected (cracked winshield, dirty trunk,headliner, carpets, etc). The car was not ready when promised,then they "lost it" (could not find the car). Was supposed to pick it up on Sat then Monday. When I went to pick it up, it would not start (told me it must have been from leaving the doors open to detail it). Several other small problems (althoughnone are small when youare the paying for the car). The used car manager has offered to buy the car back rather than have me file a negative survey.......... Is this normal???? Do the surveys mean that much???? What should I do??? Is the car really worth this much trouble??? (1998 GS300, 52K miles $28,250) Thanks.
Old 08-14-01, 09:57 AM
sirsomo
Pole Position

The car should of been prepped better than it was. The surveys seem to mean a lot to dealers, they seem to focus more on the purchasing area than others. I would use the leverage that you as a customer have. It sounds like you already bought the car, but the dealer should want to make you happy. Perhaps a new windshield or something? I doubt they would offer that much, but you never know.
Old 08-14-01, 10:07 AM
sds292
Driver School Candidate

They did offer and did replace the windshield.That is when they misplaced the car. I realize Ipurchased a used car, but expected more from Lexus. I just wanted to know if buying back a car is legite. I have never heard of this being offered for such minor problems.
Old 08-14-01, 10:38 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SD,

you just painted me a pic of one of the worst certfied lexs i have ever heard.:eek:
all the defects that you mentioned should have been takencare well before the car was put on sale in the first place. sounds like the dealer was waayyyy to lazy and tried to sell the car as is; but charging you certified prices.

buying a pre-owned one takes time and patience. if i were you, i would say 'good bye-that gs was a weakest link", and continue your search. one of the guys here bought one from carmax.com and was much better than the dealer certified.

sure they can buy the car back. as they are afraid of your bad review, i suspect they are "guilty" in the first place for selling a "certified lex" that does not derserve such title. s you said, you expected morethan such from a lex. so your money in its entirety should be given back to you for your next car. for a mere $2500 more, you get a 98 gs400 w/about the same miles here in LA.

william
Old 08-14-01, 10:47 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

let them buy your car back.. there is something majorly wrong with that car. Use this to your advantage, bargain for a great deal on a new certified car, this time check evething first and make sure it's everything you wanted. The ball is in your hands, they know they sold you a lemon.
tony
Old 08-14-01, 11:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,443 Posts

Originally posted by LS400in520
let them buy your car back.. there is something majorly wrong with that car. Use this to your advantage, bargain for a great deal on a new certified car, this time check evething first and make sure it's everything you wanted. The ball is in your hands, they know they sold you a lemon.
tony
I agree! Don't keep the car. The dealership's crazy to have tried to sell a car in that condition as CPO. So let them buy it back, and say "let's make a deal" (the implication being that if they don't you'll tell your story to Lexus corp).
Old 08-14-01, 12:06 PM
3ems
Driver School Candidate

SDS292:
Sorry to hear about you problem with this dealer. Being a newbie around here I must tell you that you are not expecting too much from this dealer. Regardless if you bought new or used. It's still you money and unless this was an "as is purchase" I would definately let them repurchase the car. There are too many other Lexus respectable dealers out there for you to do business with and get the satisfaction you would expect.
Good Luck
Old 08-14-01, 12:09 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Nothing to really add to the above comments other than not to allow the sales staff to "assist" you filling in the evaluation. That car should NEVER have gone out the door as a CPO car.

Definitely let them buy the car back. This sounds like an oldfashioned, pre-Lexus hose job.