GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Installing chrome door handles?? please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-07, 06:06 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wringo
Yeah, Rae Shawn copied my car with everything except the color! J/K! I actually copied his style! That's my boy! Thank's!

!

Stop trying to be nice D. We all seen Shawn do things right after you!! Its ok. Just take it as a compliment Wringo. LOL
Old 04-28-07, 09:04 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Wow nice job wringo and shawn.. Those door handles look hot on both cars.. Congrats..
Old 04-28-07, 11:35 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelex
Stop trying to be nice D. We all seen Shawn do things right after you!! Its ok. Just take it as a compliment Wringo. LOL
LOL listen here secret keeper
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-08, 03:14 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bumping this to take pictures.
Old 01-08-08, 03:30 PM
augdogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always wanted some of those...
Old 07-17-08, 10:51 PM
GSing430
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by beez43
there are a couple of problems.. first off you dont need to remove the speakers nor the window regualtor..however, for the rear, you have to remove the door latch.. its really tricky to get out the way but angling it towards you does the trick... HERE IS THE PROBLEM.. apparently i have a 2000 gs... when i looked at the stock handles, there was a plastic piece where it would be able to push the latch down further so the latch would open the door.. however, on the chrome, there was nothing to extend the reach of the rod that pushes down on the latch... im working on this now and am wondering if i can just use some pliers and pull the latch upwards and bend it so that it would reach the rod better.. that was why i couldnt open the door easily on my rear right side door...
Originally Posted by antbo
no no no! it looks lke that but it actually works. take the stock handle and the chrome one. put them side by side. iyou notice it was just a bar right? well put them side by side and youll see that the bar on the chrome handle and the plastic part on the stock handle are lined up with each other. it just looks like its not goin to work, thats what i thought till i put them up next to each other
Originally Posted by GSoup
ok..i just installed fellow CL member- TONE's door handles yesterday and i thought the same thing...if you put the two handsles side by side you will se the chrome handles's latch is a new and improved version of the stock one..instead of the white/ivory plastic piece thats on the oem the chrome one's position is different to compensate for it.

we took pixs of the install and tone has them... your right you do have to remove the door latch..

the tools needed to do the job :
10mm ratchet set
phillips screwdriver
T30 torx screwdriver (rear door latch)

the front door has 8 screws total per door
rear has 4 screws total per door if i remember correctly...

i new how to do it because someone tried to steal my car and shoved a screwdriver in my passenger lock cylinder and i had to replace it so it was the same process to get at the lock as it is to remove the handle.

if you need any more info pm me...
don't mean to bring this back from the dead but when you pull the handle all the way up, the chrome's black latch do not extend to the same distance. I've installed it and doesn't reach and can't be open from the outside, am i missing something here?
Old 07-18-08, 03:04 AM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

mike are you having trouble with your front doors or rears? the rear doors are a bit tricky... depending on what handles you got....did you get jdm handles off the toyota crown or ebay handles?
Old 07-18-08, 06:15 AM
beez43
Pole Position

im telling you guys.. just bend the actuator handle that pushes down on the little handle that opens the handle open... i can only explain it if i was to see the door lock itself on the rear.. as the doors are older, the little thing that the handle pushes on keeps getting a little bent as time goes on.. trust me, i just pulled the lock of the door out anyway just to see what the problem was and the new chrome handles did not have the reach as the oem ones. since you cant bend the one on the handle since it will break, bend the part that is coming into contact with the door handle.. its as simple as that.. only need a plier to do it.
Old 07-18-08, 07:17 AM
GSing430
Racer

Originally Posted by PandaGS430
mike are you having trouble with your front doors or rears? the rear doors are a bit tricky... depending on what handles you got....did you get jdm handles off the toyota crown or ebay handles?

I'm having problems with the rear, the installation is not the problem but since the black bar don't extend as far as the oem, i can't open the rear, and the worst thing is the child lock switch was on so now i can't open from the inside or outside. how do i resolve this, will a slim jim work on the rear door?

btw the i got it from eliteautostyle, in japan, they said oem/jdm for aristo

im telling you guys.. just bend the actuator handle that pushes down on the little handle that opens the handle open... i can only explain it if i was to see the door lock itself on the rear.. as the doors are older, the little thing that the handle pushes on keeps getting a little bent as time goes on.. trust me, i just pulled the lock of the door out anyway just to see what the problem was and the new chrome handles did not have the reach as the oem ones. since you cant bend the one on the handle since it will break, bend the part that is coming into contact with the door handle.. its as simple as that.. only need a plier to do it.
Old 07-18-08, 09:31 AM
beez43
Pole Position

are the door panels off???
Old 07-18-08, 09:33 AM
beez43
Pole Position

what i did was yank at the handle to open it.. i had the same problem as well but what you do is rapidly try to make it so that you can try to make the bar hit the little part on the door lock.. just yank at the handle a couple times quickly.. it did the trick but make sure you bend that part soon thereafter
Old 07-18-08, 01:11 PM
GSing430
Racer

yeah,,, just tried yanking it for 15mins no luck. this is freaking FRUSTRATING! I called a local bodyshop and a few place, but all refered me to the dealership. i've been waiting for a darn Service advisor to call me back since morn. Just looking for an alternative.
Old 07-21-08, 08:13 AM
antbo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSing430
I'm having problems with the rear, the installation is not the problem but since the black bar don't extend as far as the oem, i can't open the rear, and the worst thing is the child lock switch was on so now i can't open from the inside or outside. how do i resolve this, will a slim jim work on the rear door?

btw the i got it from eliteautostyle, in japan, they said oem/jdm for aristo
instead of bending it just put a small rubber grommet that fits around it.

as for the handles, they were made for crown majestas, but the aristo share the same door handles
Old 07-21-08, 08:17 AM
antbo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what i did was yank at the handle to open it.. i had the same problem as well but what you do is rapidly try to make it so that you can try to make the bar hit the little part on the door lock.. just yank at the handle a couple times quickly.. it did the trick but make sure you bend that part soon thereafter
this works, i had the same problem with my first set of handles.
Old 07-21-08, 08:19 AM
beez43
Pole Position

man that really sucks.. any way you can sneak a bar to disable the child lock protection? i dont know how to open a door in your situation.. best way is to sneak something in to disable that crap.. its not a problem bending the bar on the door lock because that usually bends the other way with years of use..

Quick Reply: Installing chrome door handles?? please help