GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Installing chrome door handles?? please help

Old 12-01-05, 04:35 PM
antbo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I'm in the process of doing this, as my car is being prepped for paint. It appears that the handle can be removed without removing the window glass or touching the regulator. The window would need to be fully up, and a small pair of hands wouldn't hurt.

I already have the interior door panels off and the speakers out... I'll look at it more closely over the weekend when I am at the shop.
your right, but the rear gets more complicated. you would have to take out the door latch to pull off the rears.

how ironic. i just remembered i have to re-install my new chrome door handles today in about an hour.
Old 12-01-05, 05:21 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by antbo
your right, but the rear gets more complicated. you would have to take out the door latch to pull off the rears.

how ironic. i just remembered i have to re-install my new chrome door handles today in about an hour.

please take pics of install
Old 12-10-05, 11:41 AM
beez43
Lexus Champion

there are a couple of problems.. first off you dont need to remove the speakers nor the window regualtor..however, for the rear, you have to remove the door latch.. its really tricky to get out the way but angling it towards you does the trick... HERE IS THE PROBLEM.. apparently i have a 2000 gs... when i looked at the stock handles, there was a plastic piece where it would be able to push the latch down further so the latch would open the door.. however, on the chrome, there was nothing to extend the reach of the rod that pushes down on the latch... im working on this now and am wondering if i can just use some pliers and pull the latch upwards and bend it so that it would reach the rod better.. that was why i couldnt open the door easily on my rear right side door...
Old 12-10-05, 12:13 PM
antbo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by beez43
there are a couple of problems.. first off you dont need to remove the speakers nor the window regualtor..however, for the rear, you have to remove the door latch.. its really tricky to get out the way but angling it towards you does the trick... HERE IS THE PROBLEM.. apparently i have a 2000 gs... when i looked at the stock handles, there was a plastic piece where it would be able to push the latch down further so the latch would open the door.. however, on the chrome, there was nothing to extend the reach of the rod that pushes down on the latch... im working on this now and am wondering if i can just use some pliers and pull the latch upwards and bend it so that it would reach the rod better.. that was why i couldnt open the door easily on my rear right side door...
no no no! it looks lke that but it actually works. take the stock handle and the chrome one. put them side by side. iyou notice it was just a bar right? well put them side by side and youll see that the bar on the chrome handle and the plastic part on the stock handle are lined up with each other. it just looks like its not goin to work, thats what i thought till i put them up next to each other

Last edited by antbo; 12-10-05 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-11-05, 01:23 PM
beez43
Lexus Champion

well i checked it all out and i do have to move the latch part of the rear door latches because the chrome door handle part only touches the latch halfway... thats why it wont push down the latch all the way down and therefore im gonna have to try it out later on..
Old 12-11-05, 08:35 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ok..i just installed fellow CL member- TONE's door handles yesterday and i thought the same thing...if you put the two handsles side by side you will se the chrome handles's latch is a new and improved version of the stock one..instead of the white/ivory plastic piece thats on the oem the chrome one's position is different to compensate for it.

we took pixs of the install and tone has them... your right you do have to remove the door latch..

the tools needed to do the job :
10mm ratchet set
phillips screwdriver
T30 torx screwdriver (rear door latch)

the front door has 8 screws total per door
rear has 4 screws total per door if i remember correctly...

i new how to do it because someone tried to steal my car and shoved a screwdriver in my passenger lock cylinder and i had to replace it so it was the same process to get at the lock as it is to remove the handle.

if you need any more info pm me...
Old 12-11-05, 08:59 PM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

gsoup,

I had no problems installing the front, it was easy breezy. The problems I had was the rear doors. can you give me step by step instructions on how to install the door handles in the rear doors? Much thanks

Some photos would be great help too
Old 12-12-05, 07:19 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by garbage85
gsoup,

I had no problems installing the front, it was easy breezy. The problems I had was the rear doors. can you give me step by step instructions on how to install the door handles in the rear doors? Much thanks

Some photos would be great help too
not a prob.. actually Tone has the photos but i 'll explain it ..

1) remove all screws from the door panel (phillips)
2) where the power buttons are, you have to lift up that panel and remove it. There is a screw in there.
3) once you have the door panel off disconnect all the harnesses (light/powerbuttons/etc..) so you can move the door panel out of the way.
4) on the side of the door look where the latch is at , there are 3 screws (T30 screwdriver) remove those and on the side of the latch where the panel goes there is 1 screw there (T30).
5) ok this is the tricky part. You have to push the latch out of the way (get it to go down). It takes some playing with but once you have it below its position you use the holes in the door(just like the front) to get access to the nuts hilding the door handle which is being held by 2 10mm nuts.
6) to put it back just go backwards in the steps...

not that hard just getting the latch out of the way is the hard part ...let me see if i get Tone to email me the photos and i'll post them here..

***be careful with the child safety lock and its position...you do not want it to lock because if you have problems with the latch and the chrome handle you will not be able to open the door when it closes.
Old 12-12-05, 10:53 PM
cesofd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeh you dont need to take off the windows just have em rolled up. installing the rear door handles are a pain in the *** cuz u have to drop the door latch down and it hits the door handle u just wiggle it and it should come off...yeh if u guys need questions i work at a toyota/lexus body shop. if u were in so-cal i would've done it for you haha...
Old 12-13-05, 07:31 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by most_faded
yeh you dont need to take off the windows just have em rolled up. installing the rear door handles are a pain in the *** cuz u have to drop the door latch down and it hits the door handle u just wiggle it and it should come off...yeh if u guys need questions i work at a toyota/lexus body shop. if u were in so-cal i would've done it for you haha...
once i did the first door the second door was easy... and your right - you will spend more time jiggling and moving that dam hatch than the time it takes to do the install...

est. time: 10-20 mins. per door
Old 12-13-05, 08:21 AM
antbo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by most_faded
your in socal, but it says yer from "hawaii"
Old 12-13-05, 05:47 PM
cesofd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lemme change it lol...i moved to so-cal bout 1 year ago work at longo toyota/lexus body shop
Old 12-14-05, 07:33 PM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

Thanks a lot gsoup, your instructions was great help, ill let you know how it works out

Mike
Old 12-15-05, 06:33 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by garbage85
Thanks a lot gsoup, your instructions was great help, ill let you know how it works out

Mike
not a prob... anytime for a fellow CL member..thats what family is for.
if u need anything hit me up...
Old 12-15-05, 09:18 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you finish the install any pics yet ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing chrome door handles?? please help