GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS4 stick-shift?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-01, 12:16 PM
MrHorse
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Lexus planning on bringing a 6-speed tranny to the GS4? As they're doing with the IS3 this year..?

If not, has anyone considered a manual-mod? Maybe a Supra transmission?
Old 06-18-01, 12:34 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by MrHorse
Is Lexus planning on bringing a 6-speed tranny to the GS4? As they're doing with the IS3 this year..?
Not that I've seen mentioned by either Lexus or any of the trade mags.

If they were considering it for the 430 they'd probably face loss of ULEV and the addition of a gas gussler tax as BMW does on their manual 540s.

IMO there's very little chance of their doing it in light of their eliminating e-shift on the 430s just to maintain ULEV.
Old 06-18-01, 12:44 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am planning on putting a 6-speed supra gearbox in my GS3 in a couple of years.
Old 06-18-01, 02:11 PM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

I think installing a Manual on a GS3 will be much easier than doing it to teh GS400, the GS300 is more compatible with the engine than the V8, here is my idea getting the BMW 540 Maual gear box to fit in the GS4 I wonder how that would be )) just need to custom build a bracet I guess or something.

Ok ok I know this is kinda off the subject but I know the Land Crusier V8 4.3 does come in Manual in some countries its all Toyota and they are both V8's and 4.3 liter engines.
Old 06-18-01, 02:48 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

BBD, yes but you have to take into consideration the size of the crankshaft/gearing and how the transmission fits onto the block. Also in this electronic world we live in you may have a problem with things like trac control or anythign like that that a manual tranny may have.
Old 06-18-01, 02:57 PM
tim330i

Default if you want the 6-speed

if you really want the 6-speed your best bet is to get a full toyota supra TT setup with wiring harness and ECU and swap that in, then the ECU and engine and tranny will work together. I was looking into doing this for a while, but went with the BMW for the size (smaller) and convience of not doing the about things.

Tim
Old 06-18-01, 03:18 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there was some guy selling his stock tranny on E-bay because he was putting in a six speed for his GS300 I wonder if anyone here knows him or heard anything about this?
Old 06-18-01, 03:48 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

RealMarty absolutely correct as far as a 6 speed with the V8. Aside from the physical packaging issues, you'd have to ENTIRELY remap the engine ECU just to get the thing to run. And that, my friends, would be tantamount to starting your own car company. Toyota/Lexus would have to spend millions to do it. Even Panoz just buys their drivetrains from Ford, and Don Panoz has a little more money than most of us.

As far as the TT Supra setup, you guys with the 300s have something doable.
Old 06-18-01, 05:53 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

yay one reason why the 300 is better!! haha

i was worried for a second there moore torque! but i read about the last part and i was happy
Old 06-19-01, 08:01 AM
MrHorse
Pole Position

Default Traction..

As far as traction control and a manual gearbox - I know that some Supra TT's came with traction. Worked really well with the stick tranny.

I don't see how you would have to remap the engine ECU to make it run with a manual transmission. The engine is the engine. With either auto or stick, it runs as it's built and programmed to. When you swap trannies , it shouldn't affect the way the engine performs. Once you attach a transmission at the flywheel, the engine shouldn't care about how the power and the torque it put to the wheels. Should it?

I'm no car engineer, so I can't be sure of my theory. But, to me it makes sense.
Old 06-19-01, 08:38 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Traction..

Originally posted by MrHorse
I don't see how you would have to remap the engine ECU to make it run with a manual transmission. The engine is the engine. With either auto or stick, it runs as it's built and programmed to. When you swap trannies , it shouldn't affect the way the engine performs. Once you attach a transmission at the flywheel, the engine shouldn't care about how the power and the torque it put to the wheels. Should it
That was true 30 years ago when engines used carburators and neither fuel consumption or emissions were an issue. Now that both are issues, the engine and transmission work as highly cooperative devices. There's lots of info going back and forth between multiple computers monitoring and managing the actions of both the engine and trans, even a manual one.

In simpler times you took your foot off the gas and shifted. In the process you released gobs of unburnt gas and hydrocarbons into the atmosphere. Today, you take your foot off the gas to shift and the engine managment system queries the clutch monitor to see if you are shifting or just slowing down, while other monitors check the exhaust gases and adjust the injectors, timing, etc., while others monitor the wheels for slippage...and on and on and on...

On a production street vehicle it's just not that simple anymore.