GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Problem, car doesn't always start

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-03, 04:10 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Problem, car doesn't always start

My car has been giving me problems lately, especially when it is warm/hot outside. Sometimes my car just doesn't start. I turn the key and nothing happens, I don't hear any sound from the starter. The battery is new and the starter was changed a few months ago. I also changed the starter relay a while ago. If I turn the ignition a couple times, sometimes it starts, but sometimes (like today) it doesn't. After a half hour or so, I would go back and turn the key and it starts up right away.

I don't want to drive it anymore because I don't want to be stranded. Does anyone know what is causing this problem?
Old 06-26-03, 04:56 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
Default ignition switch

sounds like it might be a faulty ignition switch.
Old 06-26-03, 08:46 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Make sure the connection to the battery is tight. The connection to the battery can come off over time.
Old 06-27-03, 11:40 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

the battery cables are tight. Maybe it is a faulty ignition switch, but I'm not sure.

Any other suggestions I can try before bringing it to an automotive electronic shop?
Old 06-28-03, 02:06 AM
GSMan300
Rookie

Default I had the EXACT same problem.

Hey man,

I had the exact same problem with my 1994 GS300 a while back. I know what you are feeling man, it is real frustrating not knowing whether or not your car is going to start. When it doesn't start it feels like your heart has skipped a beat. It also seemed like it woud not start on hot days which I found to be weird also.

Anways, when I was in your shoes I tried everything such as:

-Changing alternator

-Changing battery

-Scrubbing battery terminals

-Checking connections

*It turns out that alternators purchased from Lexus seperately are all REFURBISHED and occasionally you get a faulty one even though they are suppose to work fine. That is why Lexus gives you a 1 year warranty on them. A bad alternator drains the average charge on your battery so what you need to do is:

1. Go to Lexus with your alternator receipt and get them to put in a new one.

2. Take your car to (I forgot the name) any battery and tire place and get them to recharge the battery. This might take a couple of hours.

Good Luck!
Old 06-28-03, 10:17 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

GSMan300- thanks for the info. So, you were having this problem before you changed your alternator to the Lexus refurbished unit? My alternator hasn't been changed and the battery is fully charged, so I don't think I would be suffering from a faulty alternator. My starter was changed a while back, do you think this was faulty?
Old 06-30-03, 01:05 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Well, I had my car checked out. Starter, ignition, computer, starter relay, battery, and the alternator are A-OK. I'm starting to think that the transmission switch is going bad. If the car is in reverse or drive it won't start, and maybe my car thinks it is in gear, that's why it is giving no error codes and doesn't start. What do you guys think?
Old 07-15-03, 05:59 AM
RooLex
Rookie

Talking

I had the very same problem

I pulled my car in to my workshop to do work on it and when I went to start it, nope !! it just didn't want to !!.

But some good news is that I found out what the problem was..... I had the same ideas as you guys at first but then I start the checking the sensor swich on the gear box. My GS is a 91so chances are my sensor go a lot more use

1st Try running your gear stick down and up the gears and back to park then try to start it.

If that doesn't work

2nd Try putting it in to " N " then try to start it

If that doesn't work

3rd Put in your key - turn it all the way while moving your gear stick up and down through " P " and " N "

If this is the problem then most of time my will start if I just move it in to " N ". But I all ran a new switch which by-passes the gear box sensors just incase.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-15-03, 04:29 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the responses guys! I had an auto-electrician look at the car and he discovered that the starter relay and starter were malfunctioning. Now its fixed and I no longer worry about my car leaving me stranded
Old 07-16-03, 09:05 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Originally posted by 93LexoGS300
Thanks for the responses guys! I had an auto-electrician look at the car and he discovered that the starter relay and starter were malfunctioning. Now its fixed and I no longer worry about my car leaving me stranded
That's good Eric. Glad you are back on the road again!!
Old 07-17-03, 12:12 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

It is pretty embarassing to call a cab to take my girl home because my car won't start

Hey, since none of us 1st Gen owners did went to the Carson meet, we should get together and have a mini-meet of our own. You guys are really cool and have some really nice rides. It would be nice for our little community to get together and meet each other in person.

Last edited by LB Lex; 07-17-03 at 12:13 AM.