ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2020 Infortainment Changes for RX

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-19, 11:31 AM
gregwils
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2020 Infortainment Changes for RX

I saw the article below. Anyone know if the 2019 ES screen is touch senstive? I would be curious to know if the same changes are coming to the 2020 ES, seems unlikely they would maintain two versions. The question is can touch be enabled via software update for 2019.

"CULVER CITY, CA – Given the pace of change of technology, and rising consumer expectations, a bulk of the updates to the ’20 Lexus RX pertain to infotainment and the user experience.

Advanced voice-recognition technology, redone visuals on the CUV’s on-board navigation system and the ability to control the screen via touch are a few of the changes coming to the interior of the refreshed model, on sale later this year in the U.S.

“We’re listening to guest feedback, watching our J.D. Power scores and…adjusting to (owner) concerns or recommendations,” Shaun Yzquierdo, connected technologies manager for Lexus Div.-Toyota Motor North America, tells Wards here during a media reveal of the refreshed vehicle.

Available on ’20 RXs with the 12.3-in. (31-cm) touchscreen is Dynamic Voice Command, the most advanced version of Lexus’ voice-recognition technology yet.

https://www.wardsauto.com/technology...nfotainment-ux

"
Old 06-03-19, 05:27 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,158 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by gregwils
I saw the article below. Anyone know if the 2019 ES screen is touch senstive? I would be curious to know if the same changes are coming to the 2020 ES, seems unlikely they would maintain two versions. The question is can touch be enabled via software update for 2019.

"CULVER CITY, CA – Given the pace of change of technology, and rising consumer expectations, a bulk of the updates to the ’20 Lexus RX pertain to infotainment and the user experience.

Advanced voice-recognition technology, redone visuals on the CUV’s on-board navigation system and the ability to control the screen via touch are a few of the changes coming to the interior of the refreshed model, on sale later this year in the U.S.

“We’re listening to guest feedback, watching our J.D. Power scores and…adjusting to (owner) concerns or recommendations,” Shaun Yzquierdo, connected technologies manager for Lexus Div.-Toyota Motor North America, tells Wards here during a media reveal of the refreshed vehicle.

Available on ’20 RXs with the 12.3-in. (31-cm) touchscreen is Dynamic Voice Command, the most advanced version of Lexus’ voice-recognition technology yet.

https://www.wardsauto.com/technology...nfotainment-ux

"
It also will be the first with Android Auto.
Old 06-03-19, 06:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

No chance the screen can be made a touchscreen with just a firmware update.
Old 06-05-19, 10:31 AM
gregwils
Driver School Candidate

I have a follow-up question. I read a comment in an article about the '19 ES Touch Pad and wanted to confirm. "the driver must first look at the screen to confirm the cursor’s initial location before using the touchpad to highlight the desired on-screen button" Is this valid? If so, perhaps this is one key difference between the Lexus system and the Acura Truetouch Pad, I believe the cursor position is the same as the location of your finger on the touchpad regardless of where it was positioned when you last removed your finger. Thanks.
Old 06-05-19, 12:42 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,570 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Isnt this the ES forum? Move thread to RX.
Old 06-05-19, 12:46 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,628 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Isnt this the ES forum? Move thread to RX.
But the thread is to ask whether the ES will get the new system in the refreshed RX, so it seems to me the ES forum is appropriate.
The following users liked this post:
GS350Miami (06-07-19)
Old 06-05-19, 01:23 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,570 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
But the thread is to ask whether the ES will get the new system in the refreshed RX, so it seems to me the ES forum is appropriate.
Can you even reach the screen comfortably to make it a touch screen? Just my opinion but I think touch is going backwards.
Old 06-05-19, 01:26 PM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

Can you even reach the screen comfortably to make it a touch screen? Just my opinion but I think touch is going backwards.

I agree I don't like touchscreen in vehicles at all. That's one of the reasons why I didn't get a Tesla.
Old 06-05-19, 03:16 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by kalel2127
I agree I don't like touchscreen in vehicles at all. That's one of the reasons why I didn't get a Tesla.
I’m not a fan of touchscreens either. Hate the look of grimy fingerprints, plus, screen placement is better when it’s higher up and further towards the line of sight. Even though I don’t think the touch pad is that bad, I think Lexus should seriously consider going to a **** based system. Still find iDrive (BMW) and MMI (Audi) to be the best systems.

To the OP, Lexus would’ve activated it in the ES if it was available. However, the placement of the screen in the ES doesn’t really make it accessible as a touchscreen.
Old 06-05-19, 04:43 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

There is no question that, for a touch screen to be easily usable and safe to use, it has to be closer to the driver than has been the case with recent Lexus models. And, as others have pointed out, moving the screen closer to the driver means that the system will be less safe because it would require the driver to divert his/her eyes from the road for longer period of times.

When I read that the RX re-fresh will come with touch screen capability, it made me wonder whether the screen position will, in fact, be moved closer to the driver. If it is not moved closer to the driver, the touch screen's usability will be limited. If it is moved closer to the driver, the safety advantages of a touch pad will be reduced. For my thinking, Lexus should either use the touch pad or the touch screen. By combining the two, they will end up with the disadvantages of both options.
Old 06-05-19, 05:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Luckily you have a touchscreen and the RTI, so you can use whichever you want.

They're following BMW and Mercedes lead by offering both.
Old 06-06-19, 05:47 AM
gregwils
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the responses. I'm not a fan of touch either, if for no other reason, the fingerprints would drive me nuts. I was just curious if Lexus could enable it in any Enform 2.0 system, but there are obviously hardware differences in addition to ergonomic issues in the vehicle.

Does anyone know the answer to the question in my second post "I read a comment in an article about the '19 ES Touch Pad and wanted to confirm. "the driver must first look at the screen to confirm the cursor’s initial location before using the touchpad to highlight the desired on-screen button" Is this valid?"

Thanks again for the responses.
Old 06-06-19, 08:12 AM
ES63
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

per the article refering to the RX Screen "Because audio and climate selections now can be made via touch, Lexus moved the screen forward 5.5 ins. (140 mm) to make it easier for drivers and passengers to reach."
Old 06-07-19, 08:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gregwils
Thanks for all the responses. I'm not a fan of touch either, if for no other reason, the fingerprints would drive me nuts. I was just curious if Lexus could enable it in any Enform 2.0 system, but there are obviously hardware differences in addition to ergonomic issues in the vehicle.
No, the screen on the ES is not a touch screen.

Does anyone know the answer to the question in my second post "I read a comment in an article about the '19 ES Touch Pad and wanted to confirm. "the driver must first look at the screen to confirm the cursor’s initial location before using the touchpad to highlight the desired on-screen button" Is this valid?"

Its just a mouse, so yes you would have to look at the screen to determine the cursor location. ​​​​​​​