ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Door Actuator Problem - Confusing Dealer Explanation

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-17, 09:13 AM
NormB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Actuator Problem - Confusing Dealer Explanation

Just discovered this Forum and joined. I own an 2010 ES 350 purchased new 7 years ago. Great car with 85,000 miles on it now. No major problems until a couple of months ago with door actuator. I am not an auto DIY person so depend upon my Sewell dealership to do all my work. Here's my sad tale:

On March 1, 2017 I took the car into Sewell Service. My complaint was that I could no longer unlock the front passenger door or either back seat door with the Key Fob or using the controls on the inside driver door. It was diagnosed as a failed or faulty door actuator. I was told it was just one of those things that wear out because of hot weather and/or use over the years.

They told me it would cost $425 each, using rebuilt parts, to fix each of the three unresponsive doors. I explained to my service rep that it is just my wife and I that use the car and actually very seldom have anyone in the back seat. I opted to just fix the front passenger door. That was done and I drove away satisfied and with full control (via key fob and driver door panel) of the front passenger door lock. In fact, all the doors responded now to the driver door panel controls and the key fob.

But . . . within 10 days, the remote control of the three doors failed again. The original problem had returned with exactly the same symptoms. I took the car back to Sewell Service on 3/13/17. They had the front passenger door actuator that was installed two weeks previously replaced. Again I drove away with all the door locks working perfectly.

However, within a week, the remote door lock features failed again - - - as before. I took it back to Sewell. This time they brought out a Technician from the shop. He dutifully tested the key fob and various control buttons in the car and concluded that because of the serial connectivity between all the door controls that most likely one of both of the rear door actuators was failing. I have to admit I didn’t completely follow his reasoning and explanation. However, I did “understand” his bottom line: I would have to spend an additional $800+ on top of the $425 I had already spent just to be able to fix my original complaint - - - control of the front passenger door via the key fob and/or inside door panel.

So here I am - - - three trips to Sewell Lexus Service and $425 lighter in the wallet and my original problem still exists.

My question is, "Why did everything work just fine for all doors for a week or 10 days each of the two times they replaced only the front passenger door actuator?" I'm planning to call (already wrote him a letter) the Sewell Service Manager and ask him, but does anyone on the Forum have a layman's answer for me? Thanks!

Norm
Old 06-09-17, 10:13 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

maybe some of these will help. I think the fact that they all work for a while after the passenger side replacement says something. What exactly though I don't know.

Reading the many pages on door locks, its clear that Techstream should be able to pinpoint the source of failure. I cant imagine door actuators acting in serial.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
24.pdf (25.5 KB, 169 views)
13.pdf (63.2 KB, 130 views)
dlc.pdf (176.5 KB, 116 views)
The following users liked this post:
NormB (06-09-17)
Old 06-11-17, 12:11 PM
NormB
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Talked to Sewell Service Manager re: Door Actuator

He said my symptoms indicate that one or both of the back seat door actuators are also broken and that even though they already replaced the front passenger door actuator I will not be able to have control of the front passenger door lock until I replace the back passenger door actuators. Something about the computer gets confused if it senses any of the actuators are not working properly and disables any door (other than the driver door) of responding to key fob or inside door panel controls. I don't understand his nitty-gritty detail description, but I do understand the bottom line. Spend $800 more in addition to the $400 I've already incurred and then you'll be able to unlock the front passenger door via the key fob or the driver door panel. Sure sounds like something is out of whack with a design that forces you to pay $1200 to be able to unlock a door so your wife can get in the car. It's been a great car - - - until now.
Old 06-11-17, 01:23 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

any DTC codes thrown? . Did the dealer put it on Techstream? A confused computer will be screaming Me Me Me!! If it was me frankly I would ask for a second opinion from the next Lexus level up. It makes no sense to troubleshoot a problem by throwing parts replacement at it.
Old 09-29-17, 06:01 PM
gs350Derri
Driver School Candidate

Default GS 350 awd door

The malfunctioning of the door actuator appears to be a known problem with 2013 Lexus GS 350 awd (awd) My service rep easily diagnosed the issue and said that over the life of the car, I can expect them all to fail. The drivers-side actuator cost me $625 to replace today. This is clearly a Lexus defect. So disappointing. I'm considering getting rid of it now. They should stand behind the quality of their parts.