ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Replacing Navigation for less than $14K

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-13, 03:43 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

yeah but what was insane is 3000 plus your old unit come on if im paying 3000 to buy a unit and you specificaly say your not repairing my unit then why can't i get the unit for 3000 without having to give mine also
Old 11-30-13, 04:34 PM
MikePA
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BonesDT
My co-worker shattered his factory Navi screen on his 2011 ES350.
How did this happen?

Originally Posted by SW13GS
... component that is in a position where it is not all that hard to break,
No offense, but how is the screen 'not all that hard to break'?
Old 11-30-13, 06:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
yeah but what was insane is 3000 plus your old unit come on if im paying 3000 to buy a unit and you specificaly say your not repairing my unit then why can't i get the unit for 3000 without having to give mine also
I don't really care about that. What do you need with the old broken screen? $3,000 plus your old unit it way better than $15k.

Originally Posted by MikePA
No offense, but how is the screen 'not all that hard to break'?
Things can happen to the screen, something can be dropped on it. Something can come loose on the interior and bang into it during a panic stop or crash. What if the screen just went bad out of warranty? Nothing lasts forever. If someone is going to own this car for a long time there needs to be some other option for replacing the unit other than a $15,000 part.

Even replacing the engine wouldn't cost $15,000. Thats just crazy. Rebuilding half the car wouldn't cost more than that, just ask ThumperPup.
Old 12-01-13, 02:57 AM
MikePA
Rookie

...something can be dropped on it.
Really? The screen is all but vertical. Please explain how something can be 'dropped' on a vertical surface.

Something can come loose on the interior and bang into it during a panic stop or crash.
If you pack your car and have the same luck as Clark Griswold, e.g., something sliding between the two front seats with enough force to break the screen.

I am waiting to hear from the OP regarding how this happened because this thread is not about the screen going bad, it's about the screen being broken.

How many other threads are there on this board about a nav screen going bad?

Who is surprised it costs more to re-build a car from the parts catalog than it cost to buy the car new?

And cars get 'totaled' by insurance companies when they are in accidents, not when components wear out or are broken.

Calm down.
Old 12-01-13, 07:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, why are you "interrogating" me? My screens not broken, I don't even own that model anymore. I'm just saying its a part that can be broken...its a part that can go bad...and that having a replacement part at a cost of $15,000 with no option of rebuilding the unit isn't fair to the customer. Its a part that the driver and passengers mess around with routinely, people put things up in their visors and in their sunglass holder. People get in the car holding bags and things that can bang into the screen. Obviously its not impossible to break because he broke it.

If you look at the parts catalog the engine costs somewhere around $17k. But, the customer is very rarely put in a situation where they would need to buy an all new OEM engine. The engine can be repaired, it can be rebuilt. Lexus is telling him he has no option but to pay them half the price of the car new to get his screen back. Thats just nuts.

Look around in the forums for the older cars. The screens do go bad.

Here is an 11 page thread about repairing frozen nav screens in the 2IS:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-fix-diy.html

Nav failure on an 03 GS:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...n-failure.html

Component failure on an IS:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-my-is250.html

Touchscreen failure on an IS:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...incidence.html

Thats page one of a search. I don't think you'd be so indifferent about it if your unit failed out of warranty and the dealer told you your only option was a $15k repair.

And cars get 'totaled' by insurance companies when they are in accidents, not when components wear out or are broken.
If his screen has been broken, he can turn that into his insurance. The vehicle is insured against damage. That has the potential to raise insurance rates for all of us with these cars.

Insurance or not. If you have a 5 year old ES that is worth maybe 15k, you're not going to pay $15k for a nav replacement. May as well sell the car for scrap. Good as totaled.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-01-13 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-01-13, 09:12 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

I have a Ruel no girl or if they're into it no guys with heels in my car LMAO
i had a girlfriend that puts her heel threw my screen ones in the Cadillac we were at the drive in movies and I don't need to say anymore but during a spasm we can say her leg reached out and heel went right threw the screen lol
Old 12-01-13, 09:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
I have a Ruel no girl or if they're into it no guys with heels in my car LMAO
i had a girlfriend that puts her heel threw my screen ones in the Cadillac we were at the drive in movies and I don't need to say anymore but during a spasm we can say her leg reached out and heel went right threw the screen lol
LOL! See? It can happen!
Old 12-01-13, 09:15 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by MikePA

Calm down.
yeah if you have full coverage insurance
i would think that they would cover the navi unit
not sure how they would cover it or how they would claim it on Comprehensive i would gues but not sure what they would put it under exactly
but safe to say a 2007 ES350 or newer with navigation would not be totaled out for non structure damage of that price

chances are most insurance companys don't have the money in the bank to cover all the cars they have that they are tottaling out these days so they have a car on hand to go and grab parts out of and ship to the repair facility saying you have to use a used part not new
Old 03-19-14, 10:20 PM
socalxr
Driver School Candidate

There are at least 5 complete used Nav units at all times on ebay for less than $800. Why not get one of those. It would be a direct swap and will only take about an hour or so.
Old 03-27-14, 03:31 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

For future reference, United Radio in Syracuse repair all OEM radios and Nav units. They will replace the broken display for under $500.
Old 04-27-14, 08:07 AM
BonesDT
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, just want to put a conclusion to this in case someone else has this problem. The 2010-2012 ES350 GPS unit is indeed $14,000. I had this confirmed by multiple dealerships. I spoke to a knowledgeable parts guy ,who confirmed the 2010-2012 is a very unique oddity, but no one understands what makes the 2010-2012 unit justify a >$10K increase compared to all other OEM Lexus units. I could only assume this was some overly sophisticated unit with no detachable screen and even having something to do with running the engine computer. Here's another thread discussing this issue:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ment-cost.html

Also, almost all of the screens on ebay are only for units up to 2009. I've had my automatic ebay alerts on since my OP back in November and have never found one for 2010-up besides this $500 one from Hong Kong:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2012-Lexus-ES350-Navigation-LCD-Display-Touch-Screen-with-HDD-/161204882106?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item25888f4aba&vxp=mtr
I was skeptical and assumed it was mislabeled, but we tried anyway.

So I opened up the ES350 unit, you have to unscrew everything in the entire unit to get to the touch screen. To my surprise, this Hong Kong screen is an exact replacement and it worked like a charm. The entire process took me exactly 1-hour. I couldn't believe how easy it was. If you've ever replaced an iPhone screen, it was the same, except even easier because the parts aren't microscopic.

Why this random unit is $14,000 blows my mind. All I can do is confirm that there is nothing magical about this unit. Replacement screens are few and far between, but when you find one, it's plug and play like all the other years.
Attached Thumbnails Replacing Navigation for less than K-complete-disassembly.jpg   Replacing Navigation for less than K-broken-oem-screen.jpg   Replacing Navigation for less than K-ebay-screen.jpg   Replacing Navigation for less than K-fixed-with-hong-kong-screen.jpg  
Old 04-27-14, 02:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Wow...at least its fixed!