LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Navigation system replacement cost?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-10, 05:32 PM
betty1510
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation system replacement cost?

We did not know that if you placed a suction cup on the screen of the nav. system, it would ruin the whole system. We have been quoted a price of $13,000!!! to replace. Any suggestions?
Old 03-25-10, 07:01 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

And why exactly would one think it was ever a good idea to place anything on the navigation screen in any car, let alone a flagship Lexus?
Old 03-25-10, 07:07 PM
betty1510
Driver School Candidate

Default Senior moment

Didn't know any better....both over 70...too much for us, I guess. Besides it was a GPS system that actually worked well and could be used while the car was in motion...not so on the "flagship" Lexus. I'm still looking for advice on what to do.
Old 03-25-10, 07:13 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like you need to the pay the price for your incredibly poor judgment. You either need to find somebody to rebuild the existing system or pay to the have it replaced and hopefully learn a good lesson. Its very hard to tell without seeing it in or getting a better description of what it is or isn't doing?
Old 03-25-10, 07:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

13,000 to replace what? i think last time i looked at the prices for the navigation screen / unit, it's about 8000? unless i remember wrong
Old 03-25-10, 08:44 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^jeez and even 8k seems steep!

Can we please get pictures?
Old 03-25-10, 11:06 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by betty1510
We did not know that if you placed a suction cup on the screen of the nav. system, it would ruin the whole system. We have been quoted a price of $13,000!!! to replace. Any suggestions?
$13,000 is ridiculous by any standard. Find someone who can repair it. It's just a damaged touchscreen overlay. FWIW, an LS460 complete nav unit just sold on Ebay for $1,800.

An alternative would be to find a wrecked 460 that's being parted out.
Old 03-26-10, 01:51 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by betty1510
Didn't know any better....both over 70...too much for us, I guess. Besides it was a GPS system that actually worked well and could be used while the car was in motion...not so on the "flagship" Lexus. I'm still looking for advice on what to do.
Come on, she came in here for help, not to be treated like a child. Betty, there are alternatives, but this forum is a good place to start. There may be others who can chime in, so be patient and something will pop up. And, welcome to Club Lexus in the meantime...
Old 03-26-10, 06:07 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Betty,
Your dealer maybe pulling your leg (I'm sorry for saying it, but especially if you are 70). Some think that if you are older they can treat you like an idiot. I would get another estimate from another reputable shop. I'm not sure what happened to your NAV screen and if it can or cannot be repaired, but 13K is way too much. If it does in fact need to be replaced, do a search on Ebay or Cragslist to see f anyone is selling a NAV unit for your car. You maybe able to purchase one for about $1K to $1.5k from a Junk Yard. Here is the link to Ebay listing selling parts from a damaged LS460. You may want to contact them to see if they have what you are looking for.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...5fPartsQ5fCars
Good luck
Old 03-26-10, 06:08 AM
jimmyford1
Driver

What year is your LS? 07-09 have a recordable hard drive that is paired with the nav system. You can't install a nav from another LS and have it work. If your screen is dead, audio and temp settings can still be done by voice command.
Old 03-26-10, 07:05 AM
bob321
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forum sponsor Sewell doesn't list any, but xxxLexusParts has the nav uint WITH hardisk for $13K list, $11k retail. They also list the nav unit WITHOUT the harddisk for $6.6k/$5.3k. So $13k from a dealer for replacement WITH harddisk is not out-of-line.

I'll assume that all your suction cup did was make the screen unreadable - in that case your current nav harddisk is still usable and you would only need the $6k nav unit WITHOUT THE HARDDISK.

As others have suggested, the junk yard might be the place to check - especially if you don't need it right away. Someone selling you a take-off unit for less than $2-3k either doesn't know what he is dealing with or has a damaged unit, IMHO.

If you are not selling the car, I'd just put the ole suction cup GPS unit back on and happily motor along. The mechanic might complain that the screen is hard to read while doing servicing, but thats kinda his problem.

Bob
Old 03-26-10, 09:34 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would check the junk yards first. You may very well end up getting a better deal at a junk yard than anywhere else, especially Lexus dealerships.

I would even hire someone to look for parted-out LS's.

But if you take this route, be absolutely certain that it will work properly on your car before you buy anything. Make sure that a nav sys from a different LS460 would work on yours (you may check with your dealer on this matter).

Good luck.
Old 03-26-10, 09:40 AM
JTS09
Rookie

Default Touch Screen Overlay

I am intimately familiar with this technology, having Rep'd Touch Screens and the LCD's for many years.

The suction cup probably caused the top layers of this Analog Resistant type Touch Screen, to delaminate underneath the area it was attached to.The Top Polyester Film that is on the surface layer, pulls away from the adhesive bond that mates it to the underlying conductive layer, causing a short, or an open, and either the unit stops working, or it works but is now just cosmetically damaged.
It logically would not have damaged the LCD underneath, and the Touch Screen can be replaced as a seperate item, if the dealer is willing to do their homework and cooperate.
You can also call Lex corporate and may get some good will assistance.

Do some more research with your parts department, or a competing one and ask them to look at the exploded view of the unit.

Then you have to shop the best price (all the Dealers seem to be negotiable and competitive against each other these days) and get the best Remove and Replace cost.

That, or one of the "on-line" units that are competitive as referenced in the trail.

J.

Last edited by JTS09; 03-26-10 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-26-10, 05:08 PM
JKN2000
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JFNash
I would check the junk yards first. You may very well end up getting a better deal at a junk yard than anywhere else, especially Lexus dealerships.

I would even hire someone to look for parted-out LS's.

But if you take this route, be absolutely certain that it will work properly on your car before you buy anything. Make sure that a nav sys from a different LS460 would work on yours (you may check with your dealer on this matter).

Good luck.
I agree here. You could also checkout ebay or google some stores that sells navigation system units. But make sure it does work with your car. And unsure if any reprogramming goes on.

My 2 cents, I would research for any head units available and bring the part in to a dealership for reprogramming and get them to install. It will be pricy, but definitely not as pricy as 13k.
Old 03-26-10, 05:22 PM
tennisstar
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

not to hijack this thread, but as a side note, anyone think of taking out the existing hard drive and cloning to a bigger one to get more storage capacity??? i been thinking of doing this, but don't have a full day off to properly do this....any thoughts would be appreciated....

Quick Reply: Navigation system replacement cost?