ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Window Tint Woes...Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 08:24 PM
eturko
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tint Woes...Help Please!

So I had my 20" Rims installed which I'm very happy with. I also had 35% window tint put on everywhere accept the windshield. I chose 35% since it's legal in my state. I like the look of it and it definitely kept the car cooler but now I have a big problem. I also have XM staellite radio installed which was done by the dealership. The antennae is on the third brakelight just inside the back glass which was tinted. Now the reception is horrible as it goes in and out quite frequently. What can I do? The tint is not reflective which I thought was good since the reflective film supposedly has metal particles for the reflective effect. However this is normal gray tint and again the reception for the XM stinks. Can I have them just remove the tint around the rear brake light where the antennae is? Is there another soution besides removing the tint all together. Please help!
Old 07-24-08, 09:25 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm a little suprised that the non-metallic window tint would have such an effect on your XM signal. The first thing I would do is make sure that the antenna or cable was not disconnected or damaged by the tint installer which is likely. If that doesn't resolve your problem I would ask a XM installer if just removing a small amount of the tint would be enough. I'm betting on the damaged antenna or cable though - that is an awkward space for the tint installer to work in and it would be easy to cut the cable.

Dave Mac
Old 07-24-08, 10:58 PM
SmokeyES35
Pole Position

Default wow

sorry to hear that... you really have to make sure that you have ceramic tint, i would ask the tint shop for the backing of the tint to make sure what it is and make sure they put the right stuff on. Ceramic tint should not mess with your reception, so it sounds pretty fishy to me.
Old 07-28-08, 04:05 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

It might be metallic, even if it's not "reflective". I'd ask what type it is. Name of the company and the model type and everything.

I'd try removing the tint around the 3rd brakelight though. From a safety standpoint, it's not a bad idea to do so. If it helps your reception, even better.
Old 07-29-08, 07:04 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Why didn't the dealership install the antenna in the factory location (the trunk lid)? That is where the XM installation instructions tell the installer to put it.

-Robert
Old 07-29-08, 09:53 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

very likely to be metalic tint.... as stated above, not all metalic tints are reflective, and not all reflective tints are metalic. Does tint interfere with NAV as well? dont cut around the antenna cus that would not look good. you gonna have to spend some dough and have the antenna installed elsewhere.
Old 07-29-08, 11:12 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Robert_J
Why didn't the dealership install the antenna in the factory location (the trunk lid)? That is where the XM installation instructions tell the installer to put it.

-Robert
Could be because some folks don't like the aesthetics of having the XM antenna placed in such a location; dunno if that's why it was installed where it was in the OP's case, but I've read of a few folks who insisted on having the antenna installed somewhere on the rear deck for that exact reason.