Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ceramic window tint worth it, also what %?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 05:12 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts
Default Ceramic window tint worth it, also what %?

If you have ceramic window tint on your car is it worth the extra price? Is it better than normal window tint? I have 35% on my car now and want a little darker to keep the sun out how is driving around day and night with 20% tint?
Old 02-11-18, 07:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I don't have any experience with non-ceramic tint, but I do find the ceramic tint lasts longer and rejects heat better.

Peoples opinions differ, but I have 30% and I wouldn't want it any darker.
Old 02-11-18, 10:05 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

ceramic tint wont fade over time like dyed tint does
Old 02-11-18, 01:21 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't have any experience with non-ceramic tint, but I do find the ceramic tint lasts longer and rejects heat better.

Peoples opinions differ, but I have 30% and I wouldn't want it any darker.
Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
ceramic tint wont fade over time like dyed tint does
I have 35% on my car now I will be getting my tint redone in the summer. I am getting them to help block out bright lights due to medical reasons. The 35% tint I have now works well but I am on the fence about going to 20%.
Old 02-11-18, 10:53 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I have 20% tint on my Lexus, its a good compromise IMO. Its pretty dark where people can't see you picking your nose in traffic, but not so dark as to where law enforcement will hassle you. Granted backing up at night in a dark lot or driveway can be a challenge, but then you can always lower your windows and use the side mirrors to back up, so it really isn't a problem IMO. The guy who did my windows said it was "ceramic" and would block out most of the heat/UV rays, and I must say he was right, as the interior on a summer day stays a lot cooler on my SC, but that is a car with a LOT of glass area. I've had the tint on my car for 4 years now, hasn't faded one bit or peeled at all.

My suggestion to finding a tint guy, make sure he has an actual physical shop and isn't doing it out of the back of his van. Also make sure that guy has been there a few years, my tint guy has a bunch of pictures on his wall of tint jobs on late 90's/early 2000's cars he did tint jobs on, so you know he's been there a damn while.
Old 02-12-18, 02:06 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

I have Formula One's Pinnacle on my IS. 35% on the front and rear windows. The back window is 15%. I felt it was worth it for the heat rejection alone, along with a much better color (Looks like the tinted glass you'd get from the factory versus the cheap dyed film appearance). I sort of wish I went a bit darker, but my vehicle inspection stations here in Louisiana have been cracking down on tint a bit lately so I really didn't want to gamble too much with the tint percentage. The front windows are already a bit too dark (35% versus 40% law), but I'm usually never given any trouble over 5%. Oddly enough, my RX and my Yukon both have 20% in the front and I still get passed when I've seen the stations fail other people, it's really not uniform in how they decide who to fail and who to pass unfortunately.

It's up to you to decide if you want to go darker, and pay the premium for ceramic. If NY isn't too tough on darker than the legal requirements, go for it, but
Old 02-12-18, 02:48 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

i have 30% dyed on one car, 30% ceramic on another.
dyed has faded some over 14 years, but still gives some privacy and maintains original color. I think it was Suntek brand, or maybe llumar.
with the windows rolled up, the direct sun still doesn't burn.

Ceramic feels about the same. Windows rolled up, sun doesn't burn either.

your car will still be a hot oven if left in the sun long enough, regardless of tint used.

I'd say ceramic is not worth it, if you're talking about a $400 difference.
Old 03-05-18, 11:17 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Reviving this thread - I was quoted $350 for all windows for Ceramic CTX vs $250 for ATC. Are these fair prices? I was also told a sunstrip is an additional $40.
Old 03-06-18, 06:37 AM
Superman60
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I paid 325.00 to have my windows tinted 20% Ceramic including the brow. GS350 AWD.
Old 03-06-18, 11:11 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
Reviving this thread - I was quoted $350 for all windows for Ceramic CTX vs $250 for ATC. Are these fair prices? I was also told a sunstrip is an additional $40.
Not a bad price. As a point of reference, I paid $370 for Formula One Pinnacle + $100 removal of old tint. I believe CTX is a step below Pinnacle, but it's still a good quality ceramic tint. Strip prices will vary place to place and depends on if they just use a dyed film or ceramic. I can't remember what I paid for my strip or what type of tint it is since I had that installed a few months and no longer have the receipt.
Old 06-11-21, 10:42 AM
NewSlang
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys! Sorry to resurrect this thread but I was about to get all four door windows tinted as well as the back windshield with ceramic tint from a place called "Kool-Vision Window Tinting" on my 1998 Lexus ES300 and I was quoted a price of $600 for the job. Does this price sound right? I was told it was "German Autobahn" tint, which is "the best tint around". They also quoted me a price of $220 extra for the sunroof on top of the $600, which they explained is because it's much harder to tint the sunroof supposedly. Is this price accurate or are they just trying to scam me?

Last edited by NewSlang; 06-11-21 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-11-21, 11:09 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NewSlang
Hey guys! Sorry to resurrect this thread but I was about to get all four door windows tinted as well as the back windshield with ceramic tint from a place called "Kool-Vision Window Tinting" on my 1998 Lexus ES300 and I was quoted a price of $600 for the job. Does this price sound right? I was told it was "German Autobahn" tint, which is "the best tint around". They also quoted me a price of $220 extra for the sunroof on top of the $600, which they explained is because it's much harder to tint the sunroof supposedly. Is this price accurate or are they just trying to scam me?
Get quotes from other places before you make a decision. Also do your research on the work that comes out of the shops you're considering. Every shop/installer is different.
Old 06-11-21, 11:17 AM
Madvlad
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NewSlang
$600 seems very steep honestly, I would shop around if I was you. Good luck!
Old 06-11-21, 11:31 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I agree with others who recommend checking prices at several different shops. The shop I used most recently charges $300 for Formula One Classic, $400 for Pinnacle and $600 for Stratus for a 4 door including rear window. Prices vary by region and competition.
Old 06-11-21, 11:46 AM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Also, as you know, some states will allow up to 35% tint, anything darker may/will get you stopped and ticketed with the requirement of removal of the tint before car can be moved...or the car has been towed. I live in PA and have seen folks stopped for this. If your intent is to stay in CA, possibly not an issue...venture out and it may present problems.

Additionally, price and quality of installation are one issue. be sure and ask for a warranty (warranties can cover different aspects of the tint, such as only materials) while you pay for the other stuff. I had mine done at Ziebart for $300 (non-ceramic) with a 10 year warranty for full replacement for fading, peeling, bubbling, etc. Ziebart has been around for decades, so I'm not worried about it being a shop that might disappear in 5-10 years like some small shops do these days. One shop here opened, did tons of installation of PPF (5-7 year warranties), paint correction, car polishing and installation of tint. They closed down after 4 years. There went their warranties.

Last edited by ShrinkDoc; 06-11-21 at 12:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Ceramic window tint worth it, also what %?