IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tint On Rear Window

Old 05-21-06, 10:50 AM
DaSweetgrl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tint On Rear Window

I had a place install the Llumar Pinacle (Ceramic) tint and it seems that Llumar messed up on the thickness of the tint and made it 3X what the normal thickness should be. I am having the shop that did the tint do it over when they get the proper thickness tint in because the side windows have streaks and bubbles in it.

My question is this: The back window is not all that bad... it may have one or two tiny air-pockets in the film, and I am worried about them removing the back film because of the defroster lines and the antena etc... I have seen how they have to scrape the windows with razor blades and I am worrked they will Fock sumthing up. I am really worried because they seem really stupid because they should have known better than to put that thick tint on in the first place. What should I do? Should I leave it alone or should I let them remove it?

Lorna
Old 05-21-06, 11:01 AM
toyemp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you saying that the film they used is 3x thicker than normal tint or 3x thicker than Pinnacle/llumar ceramic? I have the Pinnacle ceramic on my car and the ceramic film is significantly thicker than metalic-based films.
Old 05-21-06, 12:32 PM
DaSweetgrl
Rookie

Originally Posted by toyemp
Are you saying that the film they used is 3x thicker than normal tint or 3x thicker than Pinnacle/llumar ceramic? I have the Pinnacle ceramic on my car and the ceramic film is significantly thicker than metalic-based films.
When did you get your tint done? According to the owner and senior installer at the tint place that did my tint, the Llumar ceramic tint is not supposed to be thicker than the metalic. The thicker tint they have been installing is due to and error in manufacturing the tint at Llumar It seems they ran out of the film they normally use, and started putting the ceramic on a film that is thicker and more difficult to install. It is a problem with manufacturing. Llumar cermaic tint wasnt always as thick as the crap I have on my car right now. I called around to 4 or 5 shops in Florida and they all said the same thing, that Llumar had a mix up in their manufacturing and they will be sending out the proper tint in about 2 weeks.

So back to my original question, will pulling the tint off the rear window cause any problems?

Lorna
Old 05-21-06, 12:54 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaSweetgrl

So back to my original question, will pulling the tint off the rear window cause any problems?

Lorna

If its a good shop no. My dad had tints removed off a rear windshield of a E34 BMW that had the defroster lines and radio antenna and everything there but it was fine. They didnt damage anything. Just hope that your installer knows what they are doing.
Old 05-21-06, 02:17 PM
toyemp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaSweetgrl
When did you get your tint done? According to the owner and senior installer at the tint place that did my tint, the Llumar ceramic tint is not supposed to be thicker than the metalic. The thicker tint they have been installing is due to and error in manufacturing the tint at Llumar It seems they ran out of the film they normally use, and started putting the ceramic on a film that is thicker and more difficult to install. It is a problem with manufacturing. Llumar cermaic tint wasnt always as thick as the crap I have on my car right now. I called around to 4 or 5 shops in Florida and they all said the same thing, that Llumar had a mix up in their manufacturing and they will be sending out the proper tint in about 2 weeks.

Lorna
I had mine done here in OC, CA @ TintPlus based on a number of recommendations here on CL. It was done around 9 months ago. They had samples of all the films in both a book and installed on glass samples in the room and I remember noticing right off the bat that the ceramic film was thicker. Don't know if what you have is even thicker than what I have, but I'm happy with the film and have not had any problems with it. I watched the install and he did not appear to have any problems with the install .

On your original question, I've removed tint from the rear window on another one of my cars with no problem and no need for a razor blade. Just need to wet the film (I've heard recommendations of everything from amonia to water. I used diluted simple green personally.) and use a large garbage bag or some other type of plastic to "seal" the liquid next to the film. Let it sit for about an hour in direct sunlight to heat it up (or you can use a heat gun) and then slowly peel the film off. It will come off in one piece with no problem. Some glass cleaner to remove the residue glue and it will be good as new with no worries about the heating elements.
Old 05-21-06, 02:34 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had the tint removed 2 times off my back windshield and everything is still perfectly in tact
edit: they never scraped my bak windshield a solution was used both times to loosen it up

Last edited by CaThaFeR; 05-21-06 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-21-06, 05:58 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

make sure that they DO NOT scrap it with a razor or you may have problems with your radio and defoger. those lines are not mean to be scrapped on. if its a real tint shop they should know that and use a solution that softens up the sticky stuff left after peeling the tint off and it wipes off like a charm...takes a little elbow grease...if they scrap it i would personally go there and slap them =P