EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Kia EV6

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-22, 10:00 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

Does it come with the same Kia/Hyundai warranty?
Old 06-12-22, 10:10 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTurtle
Yes. The dealership I was at was actually pretty good. The EV6 is the most expensive car they sell. Most people there were looking at the econo boxes.
Old 06-12-22, 10:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,447 Posts

thanks for sharing impressions! i hope your dealer experience after sale is good. i have no issue with my hyundai dealer but then i've only had to visit once since i got mine. they were quick, efficient, professional, and best of all, FREE.

i find the looks of both ev6 and ioniq 5 to be pretty quirky and i don't love them, but could probably live with either.
the back seat room in your ev6 is amazing and insane.

hyundai/kia really came to compete with these two. toyota/honda/etc. - crickets.
Old 06-12-22, 11:02 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,945 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I've been driving this around to get a feel for the car and I'm pretty happy with the purchase. Interior is spacious...shockingly so for the size of the car. Its about as long as my Model 3 but with much more back seat room. Infotainment is quick and the graphics are pretty...the UI is good but Carplay is better. The Tesla interface is much better IMO but this has more physical controls so thats a bonus for a lot of people. Seats are extremely comfortable and the ventilation works well. We got the Wind vs. the GT Line because wife doesn't really use HUD and doesn't like sun roofs so this trim was perfect for her.

This car gets compared to the Model Y quite a bit and I've ridden in a Model Y. Owning a Model 3 for 3 years, I think I can gauge the strengths and weaknesses of the the two cars pretty well right now. My initial thoughts are that the EV6 ride quality is much better than the Y (I hear the newer ones have improved though). It absorbs bumps very well...no crashing like Teslas. For daily driving, its just better a better experience but the handling limits aren't as good. I bet the Model Y would smoke it around a track. Sport mode in the EV6 doesn't change anything but throttle response. In the Tesla, it firms up the steering.

Funny thing is, people don't really know what it is. I was at a light and we were heading into the hills where we live and the Model Y on my left was going to accelerate then cut over. I don't like when there are cars in front of me so I just bolted at the light...you could tell the Model Y accelerated faster than normal but I took off in the EV6 and immediately pulled a car. He realized it was over and looked shocked when he tucked in behind...had a puzzled look on his face . This thing is easily as fast as a Model Y...at least to ~70mph. You can tell it starts to run out of breath past 80mph though. I can feel that people underestimate the car because its a Kia and when I take off in the car, they look surprised its this fast...i even picked on a poor BMW that didn't know what this was . Fun times.

I like the quirkiness of the Ioniq 5 better. I would have preferred that car but all the dealers were charging ~$7.5k over and there was a long waitlist for the dealers that didn't charge markup. Unfortunately, its been average about 1 Limited trim per week. I think I'm like number 50-100 on the waitlist...it would have taken a year to get what I wanted. This car actually offers a lot of the features on the Ioniq 5 Limited but a trim down. The Hyundai trim levels are stupid where the 2 lower trims are significantly de-contented and you have to get the Limited to get a lot of the goodies (memory seats, seat ventilation, better stereo...etc.). The EV6 mid trims have way more of the features as standard but its more expensive than the Ioniq 5 mid trim...but overall a better compromise.

I highly recommend test driving this car...I think I would have picked this car over the Model Y even at the same price. Its just a bonus that its $11k cheaper MSRP and I still get a $7.5k rebate. Its a steal for nearly $20k cheaper than the Y.
Good review 👍. It's a really nice looking car. You still haven't given us the power specs. The Polestar still has plenty of power above 80 MPH, but I haven't gone over 100 yet.

I'll probably wait for the Ioniq 5, or whatever Ioniq will be out when I change out my wife's car. Congrats again, great pickup!

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 06-12-22 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-12-22, 11:04 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FastTurtle
10 year 100k warranty
Old 06-12-22, 11:11 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thanks for sharing impressions! i hope your dealer experience after sale is good. i have no issue with my hyundai dealer but then i've only had to visit once since i got mine. they were quick, efficient, professional, and best of all, FREE.

i find the looks of both ev6 and ioniq 5 to be pretty quirky and i don't love them, but could probably live with either.
the back seat room in your ev6 is amazing and insane.

hyundai/kia really came to compete with these two. toyota/honda/etc. - crickets.
The had a couple EV6s on the lot in the morning they said. All sold by end of day...can't keep them on the lot That backspace room is one of the primary reasons I bought the car. Its like minivan levels back there! Love it. I think you'd find the Korean twins much more appealing to live with than the Teslas.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Good review 👍. It's a really nice looking car. You still haven't given us the power specs. The Polestar still has plenty of power above 80 MPH, but I haven't gone 100 yet.

I'll probably wait for the Ioniq 5, or whatever Ioniq will be out when I change out my wife's car. Congrats again, great pickup!
The car has 320hp and 446 ft/lbs of torque. It does 0-60 in about 4.5s so its no match for your Polestar 2. Your P2 also traps the quarter in 110mph and the EV6 does it in ~100mph so yeah, big difference up top. However, its a much bigger car than the P2 and a perfect family hauler. Your wife would love it.

Old 06-12-22, 11:36 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
The had a couple EV6s on the lot in the morning they said. All sold by end of day...can't keep them on the lot That backspace room is one of the primary reasons I bought the car. Its like minivan levels back there! Love it. I think you'd find the Korean twins much more appealing to live with than the Teslas.

The car has 320hp and 446 ft/lbs of torque. It does 0-60 in about 4.5s so its no match for your Polestar 2. Your P2 also traps the quarter in 110mph and the EV6 does it in ~100mph so yeah, big difference up top. However, its a much bigger car than the P2 and a perfect family hauler. Your wife would love it.
That's plenty of power for a family car. Way more power than my wife would even need or use. It's way more than my Sienna.

The Polestar is nowhere near a family hauler, ask my backseat passengers . It's basically my daily commuter, occasional trip car. If I had an Ionic 5 or EV 6 that would be our trip car
Old 06-12-22, 11:45 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

That 10yr warranty will give you some peace of mind for sure.
Old 06-12-22, 01:04 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Nice car, congrats. It does look like there's a ton of room in the back. Unbelievable on a car that size.

You said it's starts to runs out of juice at 80 mph... does this mean that the electric motor will start to wear out after time? For a vehicle with those power numbers that doesn't sound too encouraging.
Old 06-12-22, 01:10 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Nice car, congrats. It does look like there's a ton of room in the back. Unbelievable on a car that size.

You said it's starts to runs out of juice at 80 mph... does this mean that the electric motor will start to wear out after time? For a vehicle with those power numbers that doesn't sound too encouraging.
No. That's not how electric motors work. The back EMF reduces power at higher speeds. You can design this out but only Tesla and Porsche have had success doing this. Others will catch up but for now, Tesla makes the best motors and can run at higher speeds with efficiency.

Electric motors will run much longer than IcEs. It has like 7 moving parts.
Old 06-12-22, 01:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

One thing I've noticed, out here in SoCal, EA will have at least one or two chargers offline in a very busy area where there are lots of EV'S. I'm charging out here in Ontario, two chargers were offline and EA had to reboot the one I was using. Not an ideal situation. I don't see this issue in NorCal
Old 06-12-22, 01:23 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
One thing I've noticed, out here in SoCal, EA will have at least one or two chargers offline in a very busy area where there are lots of EV'S. I'm charging out here in Ontario, two chargers were offline and EA had to reboot the one I was using. Not an ideal situation. I don't see this issue in NorCal
Infrastructure needs to catch up. Tesla still has a big advantage as they have like 8-100 stalls. There are many large ones so you don't have to worry about a station going down. I see new buildouts every week though. Teslas advantage will erode over time for sure.
Old 06-12-22, 02:07 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Infrastructure needs to catch up. Tesla still has a big advantage as they have like 8-100 stalls. There are many large ones so you don't have to worry about a station going down. I see new buildouts every week though. Teslas advantage will erode over time for sure.
Especially with the numbers of EV'S I'm seeing, they are going to have to triple infrastructure for non Teslas. Today I saw four Ioniq's, two ID 4, the new BMW sedan, Porsche Tycan, and a Jaguar
Old 06-12-22, 02:55 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
No. That's not how electric motors work. The back EMF reduces power at higher speeds. You can design this out but only Tesla and Porsche have had success doing this.
Kia already solved that on the EV6... but you'll need the full fat GT version. Definitely blows away the Mach E GT which cuts power.

Congrats on your EV6, I've read enough horror stories about finding one at a dealership alongside its Ioniq 5 sibling, and one such story that isn't that is a welcome change of pace.

Old 06-12-22, 03:20 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Motorola
Kia already solved that on the EV6... but you'll need the full fat GT version. Definitely blows away the Mach E GT which cuts power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7rQ-fisp9s

Congrats on your EV6, I've read enough horror stories about finding one at a dealership alongside its Ioniq 5 sibling, and one such story that isn't that is a welcome change of pace.
Yes...that looks promising. The best motor that can do high speed and consistent HP i know of is the Plaid tri-motor which can keep its full power of 1020hp until it hits 200mph. Of course it costs an arm and a leg. EVs motors are evolving all the time. All OEMs will get there (although Toyota will get there LAST at the rate they are going).

Honestly, I've driven the family around in the Kia today and they LOVE it. Its a better family car than my Model 3 (quieter, better ride quality, more space) for sure. Its also been pretty funny as you run away from other cars at the light because they just don't know what kind of car it is. lol. I blew away a GTI and STI today...they looked surprised. haha

Quick Reply: Kia EV6