EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Kia EV6

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-22, 03:44 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Yes...that looks promising. The best motor that can do high speed and consistent HP i know of is the Plaid tri-motor which can keep its full power of 1020hp until it hits 200mph. Of course it costs an arm and a leg. EVs motors are evolving all the time. All OEMs will get there (although Toyota will get there LAST at the rate they are going).

Honestly, I've driven the family around in the Kia today and they LOVE it. Its a better family car than my Model 3 (quieter, better ride quality, more space) for sure. Its also been pretty funny as you run away from other cars at the light because they just don't know what kind of car it is. lol. I blew away a GTI and STI today...they looked surprised. haha
I ran into a couple of EV6's on the 15 freeway today near the Chino hills/Eastvale Corona area. None wanted to play with me so I figured none of them were you
Old 06-12-22, 04:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,925 Posts

Congrats! I haven’t seen any of these yet, but I have seen a TON of Ioniq 5s. Like a shocking amount.
Old 06-12-22, 05:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,512 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think you'd find the Korean twins much more appealing to live with than the Teslas.
having had a genesis and now a hyundai, i have no doubt.
Old 06-12-22, 08:33 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Congrats! I haven’t seen any of these yet, but I have seen a TON of Ioniq 5s. Like a shocking amount.
The amount of Ioniq 5's I've seen just since Friday is shocking. Other than Tesla's, the Ioniq 5 and EV6 are the second most EV's I am seeing on the road. I think Hyundai is going to give Tesla a run for their money. The only big hold back is going to be EA, they are really going to need to expand the number of 350 kWh chargers in heavily trafficked areas. As I mentioned earlier, I was at the Ontario Mills EA location, which has a lot of superchargers, but two were offline and the one I was using was delivering very slowly and the screen was unresponsive. EA tech support had to reboot it remotely to get it to work properly. I'm wondering if that had to do with the heat, as it was almost 100 F and there was a lot of cars charging at the same time. I haven't had this issue with EA chargers in the Bay Area
Old 06-12-22, 08:37 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,783 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Tesla could use more competition.
Old 06-12-22, 09:00 PM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Cool choice! I want the Lexus RZ 450e (with a 4.5L engine??) but may not be able to afford it. My beutiful young bride currently drives a Golf Alltrak. I drove a Kia Niro EV for a month while my '99 SC400 was being painted and I loved it. I'm just "Kia shy" based on my experience with the Kia Sedona minivan and my mom's Kia Sportage. Both decent vehicles but looked cheap and seem to degrade quickly.
Old 06-12-22, 09:11 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by perfctreig
Cool choice! I want the Lexus RZ 450e (with a 4.5L engine??) but may not be able to afford it. My beutiful young bride currently drives a Golf Alltrak. I drove a Kia Niro EV for a month while my '99 SC400 was being painted and I loved it. I'm just "Kia shy" based on my experience with the Kia Sedona minivan and my mom's Kia Sportage. Both decent vehicles but looked cheap and seem to degrade quickly.
The Lexus RZ 450e doesn't have an engine...it has 2 electric motors. It will only produce 308hp and have about 225 miles of range which is poor. The EV6 has 320hp and will probably blow away the Lexus in speed. Also, gets 276 miles of range and charge much much much faster with its 800V architecture. I think its a vastly superior powertrain as Toyota is noticeably behind in EV powertrains.

The Kia EV6 interior seems very nice and I've had multiple Lexus products already. Its the nicest interior from Kia IMO. Of course, it does cost $50k+ so its expected.
Old 06-12-22, 09:37 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The Lexus RZ 450e doesn't have an engine...it has 2 electric motors. It will only produce 308hp and have about 225 miles of range which is poor. The EV6 has 320hp and will probably blow away the Lexus in speed. Also, gets 276 miles of range and charge much much much faster with its 800V architecture. I think its a vastly superior powertrain as Toyota is noticeably behind in EV powertrains.

The Kia EV6 interior seems very nice and I've had multiple Lexus products already. Its the nicest interior from Kia IMO. Of course, it does cost $50k+ so its expected.
Sometimes it's not about crunching every number there is. Maybe he just wants a Lexus and not a Kia product.
Old 06-12-22, 09:47 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Sometimes it's not about crunching every number there is. Maybe he just wants a Lexus and not a Kia product.
EV6 has won numerous high profile awards and every publication has extremely high praise for the product. Its critically acclaimed for sure so lets see how the Lexus RZ450e does. The BZ4x certainly hasn't received the same critical praise and the Lexus is using the same platform. I urge him to test drive the cars before buying. The eGMP cars are extremely nice vehicles.

https://www.teslarati.com/kia-ev6-wi...ward-for-2022/
Old 06-12-22, 10:01 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
EV6 has won numerous high profile awards and every publication has extremely high praise for the product. Its critically acclaimed for sure so lets see how the Lexus RZ450e does. The BZ4x certainly hasn't received the same critical praise and the Lexus is using the same platform. I urge him to test drive the cars before buying. The eGMP cars are extremely nice vehicles.

https://www.teslarati.com/kia-ev6-wi...ward-for-2022/
It does look nice. If I were in the market for an EV I would consider it. I do love the huge amount of room in the backseat. That's probably my favorite thing because I hate cars that feel too cramped.

It's just that maybe he has a loyalty to Toyota/Lexus. Can't fault him for that. If the EV6 beats out the Toyota in 8 out of 10 categories, so be it. It would be like someone picking an RL over a GS.

I agree, he needs to look at both in person to make a decision that works best for him.
Old 06-13-22, 05:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,925 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
The amount of Ioniq 5's I've seen just since Friday is shocking. Other than Tesla's, the Ioniq 5 and EV6 are the second most EV's I am seeing on the road. I think Hyundai is going to give Tesla a run for their money. The only big hold back is going to be EA, they are really going to need to expand the number of 350 kWh chargers in heavily trafficked areas. As I mentioned earlier, I was at the Ontario Mills EA location, which has a lot of superchargers, but two were offline and the one I was using was delivering very slowly and the screen was unresponsive. EA tech support had to reboot it remotely to get it to work properly. I'm wondering if that had to do with the heat, as it was almost 100 F and there was a lot of cars charging at the same time. I haven't had this issue with EA chargers in the Bay Area
I probably see 4-5 A DAY! Crazy!
Old 06-13-22, 10:32 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Anecdotally speaking the Ioniq 5 and EV6 seem to be selling well here too. I see very often every day.
Old 06-13-22, 04:08 PM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

They're selling here in California. I am a little concerned with the reviews I've been seeing with the BZ4X. Having driven the Niro EV for a month, I was very happy. It even had enough range for me to take a fishing trip from LA to San Diego with my son and all our gear. My beautiful young bride would be the one with the new car. She currently has a Golf Alltrak and drives maybe 10,000 miles per year.
Old 06-14-22, 07:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,512 Posts

so with this ev6 and cousin ioniq 5 getting rave reviews and selling all they can make, does it put a dent in cars like ford mustang mach-e?
Old 06-14-22, 07:53 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so with this ev6 and cousin ioniq 5 getting rave reviews and selling all they can make, does it put a dent in cars like ford mustang mach-e?
No because it also sells out. I hear all of these cars are production constrained at this point. EV demand is pretty crazy in California (and other parts of the US) right now. The EV growth is extremely hampered by battery capacity at this point unfortunately. You can say all of these cars in theory should make a dent in Tesla sales but Tesla is also sold out for a year on the popular Model Y.

I think California is an extremely interesting case in terms of critical mass. So many have EVs here that the once skeptical people are no longer hesitant to get an EV. They've seen their neighbors and friends live with EVs just fine so they aren't afraid to take the plunge. Also, $6-7 per gallon is unpalatable further driving adoption here.

Quick Reply: Kia EV6